Best Overall King Regardless of Claim

Come on now, there's no way Alester Florent deserved such a horrific death.

He was guilty of treason, and deserved to die.

No one cared how he would be exectued, not even his brother. Why should Stannis care?

You have to admit, the burning serves another purpose as well. By burning Alester he dealt with his treason, and bolstered the morale of the Queen's Men.

What about Edric Storm? The fact he even considers burning his own nephew speaks volumes. I think he would have gone through with it, if not for Davos intervening. He is blinded by his desire to king.

He didn't do it, did he?

Davos' plea worked. It dissuaded Stannis from going through with something that he thought up in his desperation. He didn't punish Davos. He knew he did the right thing.

He who passes the sentence should swing the sword, not the match. Stannis on the Throne with Mel beside him would make him just as bad as Aerys, except he doesn't have madness to blame it on.

The traditions of the North don't apply in the South. Everyone there has executioners. Need I remind you of Ilyn Payne? Mel's influence over Stannis is extremely overstated. He doesn't believe in R'hllor, nor does he believe in her visions.

The traditions of the North don't apply in the South. Everyone there has executioners. Need I remind you of Ilyn Payne? Mel's influence over Stannis is extremely overstated. He doesn't believe in R'hllor, nor does he believe in her visions.

He does believe in her visions that's why he takes his armies north.

He takes his armies North because of Davos. And because he had nowhere else to go. Mel had nothing to do with his decision to go North.

Yea she did, she taught him to see into the flames, he saw that he would win a great victory in the snow, where else would he go thats snowing and at war other than the Wall?

However i gotta admit Davos was one of the main reasons he went north but you gotta have to give Mel some credit and this is coming from someone who despises her.

He takes his armies North because of Davos. And because he had nowhere else to go. Mel had nothing to do with his decision to go North.

this isnt true, Davos, Not mel, is who convinced him to go north

Davos sealed the deal,But Mels started the Battle in the Snows thing.

No they did not have any chance of winning without Robert. Most of the men, would have broken and run just like the Targaryen forces did with the death of Rhaegar. Robert was the focal point, the charismatic leader and the great general leading the rebellion. He was such an incredible military commander he was able to win many battles against the odds. Without Robert a lot of the Storm Lands Lords would have returned back to the crown and crushed Ned/Jon if they tried to continue.

Robert wasn't that important at this point. Why would most of the men (Northerners and Riverlanders) ran because of the death of someone they barely knew?

Which battles did he win against all odds? I can't think of any. Robert himself credited ned for most of the victories IIRC.

Stormlords were the smallest part of the rebels army, losing them would've been a problem sure, but not an insurmountable one.

I don't think thousands died at the royal wedding or it was acceptable, but it did save a lot more men that a outdrawn war would have.

Thousands die die at the Red Wedding. Robb brought thousands of soldiers with him, most of them died in the burning tents or were killed by the Frey and Bolton soldiers.

And the war didn't end with the Red Wedding, it was just a brief break of a few months. The Northern Lords are fighting the Boltons or preparing to do so, the Riverlanders would probably soon resume fighting soon too, and the BWB never stopped.

It's sad that more people never realize that. Pulling for Stan to take the throne is like pulling for Aerys to come back.

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you. Melisandre and Aerys would be a perfect match because whoever Melisandre wanted to burn, Aerys would happily do so with a raging hard-on. Where as Stannis grudgingly allows Melisandre to burn traitors and criminals, because he's fighting a war and she has proven that her powers can further his cause. Aerys and Stannis are worlds apart.

Davos - but it's not enough to be a good man to be an effective ruler.

Tywin - a terrible human being but nevertheless proved himself a brilliant administrator and held the post of being the Hand of the King for twenty years of peace and plenty.

Yea she did, she taught him to see into the flames, he saw that he would win a great victory in the snow, where else would he go thats snowing and at war other than the Wall?

However i gotta admit Davos was one of the main reasons he went north but you gotta have to give Mel some credit and this is coming from someone who despises her.

Davos sealed the deal,But Mels started the Battle in the Snows thing.

Everyone, including Stannis, knows Melisandre's visions are flaky at best. Half the time even she doesn't know what she's seeing. He went North because of Davos, because Davos reminded him of his duty to the Realm.

Davos - but it's not enough to be a good man to be an effective ruler.

Tywin - a terrible human being but nevertheless proved himself a brilliant administrator and held the post of being the Hand of the King for twenty years of peace and plenty.

Agreed, i wouldnt want either of them as my king if i lived in westeros though, Tywins no fan to commoners as weve seen and Davos may be a good ruler for the people but we havent seen results politically thus far from him. Tywin would be a great king for the nation to stay unified and for the lords but not for the average joe.

I think Ned would have been great with someone more into scheming as his Hand. The Old Bear might have been good as well. Jon in a few years.

Tyrion, Davos and Doran Martell would be good Hands. And Tywin, although I don't like him at all.

Agreed, i wouldnt want either of them as my king if i lived in westeros though, Tywins no fan to commoners as weve seen and Davos may be a good ruler for the people but we havent seen results politically thus far from him. Tywin would be a great king for the nation to stay unified and for the lords but not for the average joe.

“The common people pray for rain, healthy children and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace.” ;)

“The common people pray for rain, healthy children and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace.” ;)

I hate this quote, because it is Jorah mouthing off about things he does not know. The common folk do seem to care about who sits on the throne. Every bad thing that goes wrong they lay the blame on a bad king. Bloodraven was blamed for everything. We see the Faith gaining a large following. I honestly think a lot of the common people are probably crying out for the Targaryens to come back and placing all the blame on kicking out the rightful kings.

Aight you got me there touche! :)

Archived