"Dying of the Light" - and an early Sandor Clegane!

Hound Dog

(Please accept my apology if a thread's already been created discussing this... the search function is down right now.)

Has anyone else read GRRM's "Dying of the Light"? It's his first ever published novel, I believe. There is a character in it named Bretan Braith, whose appearance is almost identical to Sandor Clegane's. Looks like GRRM had been carrying around this character for almost 20 years between this novel and aGoT.

Like the Hound, Bretan Braith has:

- A terrible, ugly scarred up face (his left side)

- A hole where his ear used to be

- His face twitches (only on the left side)

- When he speaks, it's often described as "rasping"

- He is an intimidating presence, very fierce, and takes no shit

- Descriptions of the light hitting the scars, causing them glisten slick and wet

- His left eye is also a mangled mess, but unlike the Hound, he has no vision out of this eye. Since it's science fiction, he has this little red light sensor in there.

It's uncanny! The Hound's very distant ancestors from outer space... with scars and all! (So far I haven't gotten to a part where the origin of the scars is explained, but they're described exactly the same as Clegane's scars, so I just assume they're burn scars).

In addition to Sandor-- I mean Bretan-- the book is quite entertaining. It's not a science masterpiece by any means, but the description of the "dying" planet (as it moves away from its suns) is very simple and elegant and by far my favourite thing about the novel. I can smell the abandoned cities and see the greyish red landscapes sprawled out before me.

The main character I find rather annoying, but the supporting cast is made up of interesting enough characters that I can overlook this guy. You're not in his head very much, and he's usually interacting with others, so you just have to shrug off the idiotic things he says over and over.

Anyone else read this novel? Thoughts?

I haven't read the book, but that's too much similarity to be a coincidence. Same thing with A Song for Lya (Lya's full name is Lyanna, a name that we are all familiar with) though I haven't read that either. Btw, is Dying of the Light a good book? I might read it.

George once mentioned that Bretan is an early version of both Sandor and Loras - which I think is proof Loras really was disfigured on Dragonstone, contrary to some theories. He also admitted he likes to recycle names of his characters, so no real connection betwenn two Lyas.

Dying of the Light is very good, IMHO, best of George's pre-ASOIAF novels.

Agreed. I enjoyed Tuf Voyaging more than DotL, but it is a collection of linked stories, not a novel.

I haven't read the book, but that's too much similarity to be a coincidence. Same thing with A Song for Lya (Lya's full name is Lyanna, a name that we are all familiar with) though I haven't read that either. Btw, is Dying of the Light a good book? I might read it.

Yes. Read this book! It's incredible. After finishing it, I appreciate it way more than I did in my OP... it's one of those books that you'll never ever forget reading. My god, it's so good. Just fantastic!!

Fevre Dream's better. :P

I didn't much care for Fevre Dream, though I really wanted to love it. I think it was all the vampires that made me like it a little less than it deserved. When did you read it? I think this book definitely was ahead of its time, but it's a genre that has since been done to death and that brought it down a notch for me. I definitely liked "Dying of the Light" better... but then, that's just the kind of sci-fi that I love. :)

George once mentioned that Bretan is an early version of both Sandor and Loras - which I think is proof Loras really was disfigured on Dragonstone, contrary to some theories. He also admitted he likes to recycle names of his characters, so no real connection betwenn two Lyas.

Really? And Loras as well? Funny, I didn't really notice any similarities there. But interesting point you make about his possible fate on Dragonstone. Not sure how well you remember the book, but the one character who really stuck out for me was Janacek, or Garse. Great character. He would've done well in Westeros were he not on Worlon. :)

I have to figure out how to use the multiquote function.

I was rather underwhelmed when I finally read the book which disappointed me as I'd expected to love it. Guess that's just a cautionary on expectations more than anything else.

I appreciated the development of all of George's trademark themes, but I found the prose of the book to be frustratingly shallow. The setting and much of the history of the world and so on was wonderful, but I just walked away feeling like the writing wasn't developed enough to follow it satisfyingly. Still a strong novel in many respects.

I was rather underwhelmed when I finally read the book which disappointed me as I'd expected to love it. Guess that's just a cautionary on expectations more than anything else.

I appreciated the development of all of George's trademark themes, but I found the prose of the book to be frustratingly shallow. The setting and much of the history of the world and so on was wonderful, but I just walked away feeling like the writing wasn't developed enough to follow it satisfyingly. Still a strong novel in many respects.

Funny that you say this... the main character Dirk drove me nuts. However, I found the rest of the story (characters, setting, histories, and so on) to be so strong that they carried the novel for me and I could overlook his very shallow personality.

Perfect point on expectations. I went in with low expectations, under the impression that, if this book were truly great, it'd have a better Goodreads rating and more readers. Perhaps that's not the best way to judge the substance of a book, but that's what I nonetheless did!!

• 6 months later...

Just finished it, and yeah, Bretan reminded me of Sandor Clegane. That there's part of Loras in him is cool as well. :) I can certainly see it; pretty, slender, rash...

The stone in his eye was reminiscent of Aemond Targaryen and of that guy from the legends with sapphire instead of eyes whose name I cannot recall... I used to think that he must have been a wight, I'm not nearly as sure now.

Jaan Vikar seemed a bit Rhaegar Targaryen-ish to me: bookish boy, who grew up into a warrior and who from studied old scrolls until he made an important discovery... although nature of that discovery will be likely completely different in ASoIaF.

I felt cheated with the ending. Not so much because of the duel: I keep thinking that Bretan must have won, because really, it would be cheeky if Dirk survived also the duel, and anyway Dirk didn't have much to live for anymore. I was more curious if Jaan and Gwen's relationship still continues and if Jaan gets over Garse's death. GRRrhh!

Otherwise I enjoyed it. I'm a total sucker for melancholy and gothic settings.

lojzelote, I like to think it was impiled with that tease-ass epilogue that Dirk

wanted to use that special duelling rule of: one hit - one blow - walk away (hope that the opponent gets the hint and doesn't kill you anyway).

I am also imagening some epic hate-sex afterwards but that is just the slasher girl in me. :drool:

ETA: Since I've read that book, I also think that Loras will sport a gemstone eye in the end and hook up with the Blackfish. :devil:

Oh, I was thinking that too, but George is such a hellishly cruel author that I always allow for the worst. :D

I guess it depends on whether Bretan did what Chell would have wanted, or if he acted on his own belief that 'mockmen' are a nonsense.

As for that other thing, I have to say that I can almost imagine it as well, although I'm not that kind of gal who sees homoeroticism everywhere. :laugh: Must be the Loras thing. And the duel kiss, of course.

I enjoyed Dying of the Light and GRRM's Fevre Dream. I've read some of his other works (mostly short stories) and wasn't as interested in them. Although I really enjoyed his Sandkings story and The Pear Shaped Man f.r.e.a.k.e.d me out.

And of course, I read his Dunk and Egg novellas, which were good. Especially if you love the ASOIAF universe.

Back to the topic though, Dying of the Light was pretty damn good. It's been a few years, but I remember it having an eerie, almost melancholy feel. Characters were good, and George certainly has a talent for developing themes in science fiction. I also think it was the first book I read on my Kindle but I could be mistaken.

Archived