Resourceful, Creative, Tenacious: Axell Florent

RenlyIsNotRight

So in the time I've spent on this forum, I've seen love for some pretty indisputably "evil" characters - Roose & Ramsay Bolton, Petyr Baelish, Cersei & Tywin Lannister...I could go on. But here's one man (of the world) I don't see celebrated on these forums too often and I was wondering if anyone else finds him as beautifully slimeballish as I do - Axell "The Hand of the Queen" "Man of the World" Florent.

I know most of you with a conscious probably are probably thinking something along the lines of "what the fuck is wrong with you", but let me explain myself...this is why I enjoy Axell Florent...

• One thing you can't take away from him, he has tenacity in spades. He burned his own older brother alive just so he could get his spot as Hand of the King. And what happens when said title was given to Davos instead? He starts calling himself "The Hand of the Queen". What a can do attitude this guy has.
  • If you've read ADWD, you also know that this attitude extends to his passion for the woman he admires from afar - Val. So frequently he asks Jon about her well being, and he knows the proportions of her body as if he designed it himself. He doesn't even care if Jon has "broken her for saddle", because this self described "man of the world" is clearly above such petty jealousies and double standards. What a nice guy, it really is too bad Val doesn't seem to share his affections.
  • Like any character in ASOIAF though, he's not perfect. He's kind of a massive dick to Davos and kind of compares him to a monkey, almost entirely due to his low birth. However, think of it this way - House Florent has ancestrally been stiffed. They had a better claim to Highgarden than House Tyrell, who were simply lowly stewards. In Davos, Axell clearly sees a reflection of his family history, an obstacle he must overcome. Again, not that I like how he treats Davos, but I understand his motives.
  • He looks like this. Seriously how can you look at this picture and not burst out in laughter?

So, who else is going to shamelessly admit to enjoying this guy?

have you taken leave of your senses, brah?

This is Axell "the Saddler" Florent. The one who was like, "I'm going strip Val naked and parade her along the Wall if I say so" by invoking "his power" as "Queen's Hand," which is a position that doesn't even exist.

This is Axell "the Saddler" Florent. The one who was like, "I'm going strip Val naked and parade her along the Wall if I say so" by invoking "his power" as "Queen's Hand," which is a position that doesn't even exist.

Basically this. Axell Florent is a lameass. I hope he becomes Wun Wun chow soon.

I'll admit to enjoying him.

In the same way I enjoy Mace Tyrell, Janos Slynt and any of the Frey's present at Riverrun Siege.

People that other characters just cant seem to take seriously because they're just that idiotic, deluded or incompetent.

Although my favourite was when Janos Slynt was saying the only reason Mance Rayder was asking for terms was because he'd heard Janos Slynt had arrived. Definition of delusion.

That's exactly why Axell is so awesome though. He couldn't be the Hand of the King, so instead of just giving up and rationalizing that he isn't really right for the job anyway like anyone else would do, he goes and makes himself "Hand of the Queen". He's resourceful and possessed of a tenacity that rivals that of King Stannis himself.

Also not that I think anyone couldn't actually tell but I kind of turned the sarcasm up to 11 in my OP and this post as well lol.

That's exactly why Axell is so awesome though. He couldn't be the Hand of the King, so instead of just giving up and rationalizing that he isn't really right for the job anyway like anyone else would do, he goes and makes himself "Hand of the Queen". He's resourceful and possessed of a tenacity that rivals that of King Stannis himself.

Also not that I think anyone couldn't actually tell but I kind of turned the sarcasm up to 11 in my OP and this post as well lol.

lol, no, I knew you were going for "jackass" with this.

you're right, Axell is outrageous enough to be absolutely hilarious. The delusion, self importance, and the fact that he looks like a barrel with bow-legs and ears makes for a convincing idiot. The Val thing does genuinely piss me off, but it's so over-the-top that it kind of becomes laughable. The "Queen's Hand" thing is what gets me the most.

lol, no, I knew you were going for "jackass" with this.

you're right, Axell is outrageous enough to be absolutely hilarious. The delusion, self importance, and the fact that he looks like a barrel with bow-legs and ears makes for a convincing idiot. The Val thing does genuinely piss me off, but it's so over-the-top that it kind of becomes laughable. The "Queen's Hand" thing is what gets me the most.

That's the thing. I can see appreciating him in an ironic sense. But he doesn't even make much of a real villain.

Hahaha exactly. But forgive me, I haven't reread ADWD in a while but was there ever a part of the books where he actually said he wanted to parade Val naked around The Wall and all that? I just remember him being generally slimy and chauvinistic in regards to her (not to mention naggingly annoying in bringing up the subject to Jon), but nothing quite to that extreme.

Axell doesnt really make me laugh outside his looks.

I'll admit, on my first read through I just straight up hated him myself, but when I encountered the above mentioned artwork of him I laughed my ass off, and slowly over time I found him more and more hilariously pathetic, so maybe that did have something to do with it for me.

Hahaha exactly. But forgive me, I haven't reread ADWD in a while but was there ever a part of the books where he actually said he wanted to parade Val naked around The Wall and all that? I just remember him being generally slimy and chauvinistic in regards to her (not to mention naggingly annoying in bringing up the subject to Jon), but nothing quite to that extreme.

“My lord, have you forgotten who I am?” His breath smelled of ale and onions. “Must I speak to the queen? A word from Her Grace and I can have this wildling girl delivered naked to the hall for our inspection.”

“My lord, have you forgotten who I am?” His breath smelled of ale and onions. “Must I speak to the queen? A word from Her Grace and I can have this wildling girl delivered naked to the hall for our inspection.”

How the hell could I have forgotten that? He's even worse than I thought and yet I'm still laughing.

Ah, the Florents! IMHO, one of GRRM greatest symbolic ironies in the series. A House who's sigil is a universal symbol of cunning and intelligence, and yet, there not a single member of that House that displays such traits.

Archived