Any Victarion's fan here?

Jaime FTW

* The way he sells people into slavery.

Que ? The guy frees slaves.

To quote him on the issue: "Taking a man as a thrall or woman as a salt wife, that was right and proper, but men were not goats or fowl to be bought and sold for gold"

* The way he kills his wife as punishment for being raped.

We don't know if it was rape. In fact the words used about it indicate otherwise (seduced). Rapists generally don't seduce, after all.

* The way he rapes women as punishment for being within his vicinity.

The only woman you could argue he's raped is the dusky woman. She's about as close to a prostitute as you'll get, so if you hate this, you're hating Tyrion too.

* The way he revels in murder and violence.

It's war he revels in, not murder. There's a difference. As for violence, well you're also hating 90% of the male westerosi population then. Go hate on Robert or Barristan for that.

* The way he continuously questions the morality of his actions but acts for evil anyway.

This is one of his more interesting traits, actually. Somehow I don't quite see Ramsay or Gregor questioning the morality of their marauding ways, but Vic actually does.

* The way he is too chicken to stand up to his evil brother despite clearly having strength enough to kill him (or at least die trying).

Well, I bet if he did kill his brother, you'd hate him for that too.

He's a dumb, violent, remorseless prick. He's also typically Iron Islander in that regard. If you judge him within his culture, then he's pretty fucking awesome. Super-strength hand is just a bonus.

I kinda hope he ends up being one of the heads of the dragons. I think Euron will outsmart him, but I'm hoping that with the help of others, he'll overcome his brother.

Victarion believes, or has convinced himself, it was rape.

To Victarion, I believe the question of consent was more or less unimportant: His wife had sex with another, which makes her unclean in Ironborn eyes. Beating her to death seems to have been meant as a mercy killing.

Euron added insult to injury by outright seducing the woman and taunting Victarion with it.

To me, he seems like a mini version of Gregor Clegane. He's just as skilled at arms, enjoys violence, is slightly more sane, also commits rape and has also killed his wife.They both wanted to kill or hurt their own brother and were stopped by another family member. They're both violent brutes and bullys and are both despicable.

:agree: Somehow when Victarion commits the atrocities you mentioned people think he's cool or a BAMF. I just don't get the love, myself.

Victarion is up there in my fav characters too. He's a good fighter, strong as a bull and takes no shit. I also find him strangely hilarious, a few tidbits below.

When they're sailing towards Mereen and the monkeys are all over the ship and he's cursing them for 'demon creatures' and he looks up at one on the mast and thinks 'would that I had a crossbow'. lol

When he meets Moqorro and the crew's calling him a wizard, and want him killed, Vic thinks ' If the Crow's Eye can have wizards, then so can I' simple things like this make me laugh.

One of if not the best - When the maester is telling him he might have to cut off his hand and Vic replies - either save my hand or I'll make my crew a gift of your arse.'' Something along those lines... I laughed aloud a few times.

Vic and Asha are my fav Ironborn.

ETA - Another one I just remembered when they're taking the slavers ships, Vic climbs aboard and cuts the chains off the slaves and says - Danaerys frees slaves and so do I. :)

''The most beautiful woman in the world has urgent need of my axe.'' One of my fav quotes right there.

I really hate Victarion, actually. He's a stupid, brutal savage. A religious extremist. He's about as likable as a member of Al-Qaeda. His only admirable qualities are being a good fighter, being fearless, and inspiring others to follow him. The part where he was executing sailors kind of pissed me off. He said something like "If they beg for mercy, cut their throats before you throw them overboard. It is better to drown in water than on blood." Every time I read about how Euron screws him over, I find myself liking Euron more and more. That's how much I don't like Victarion.

he's like the f***in juggernaut. How can you not like him? He bulls through the bullshit and has a one track mind. I want it.. I'll get it. Sometimes you need a Vic chapter to just enjoy the raw shyt he brings to the table. As an earlier poster said, he's a thug. He can't help himself. Not everyone should be clever and complex. Stannis is neither he's just a great battle commander

he's like the f***in juggernaut. How can you not like him? He bulls through the bullshit and has a one track mind. I want it.. I'll get it. Sometimes you need a Vic chapter to just enjoy the raw shyt he brings to the table. As an earlier poster said, he's a thug. He can't help himself. Not everyone should be clever and complex. Stannis is neither he's just a great battle commander

Haha nice comparison. I agree

In Dance, Victarion becomes one of GRRM's greatest comic creations, which is why he is one of my favorite secondary characters now. His hate-hate relationship with the monkeys on the island (which he clearly continues to brood about in the WoW spoiler chapter) alone justifies Dany's entire Slaver Bay detour.

And if you didn't laugh out loud when he figured out how to handle the spoils from the ship of bed slaves, well, your sense of humor maybe a little too squeamish for AGOIAF.

Oddly, he's an incredibly boring tool in Feast, but on re-reading I think that's intentional - I think martin wanted to play around with a character who is completely useless as a politician or even just a regular peacetime person (hopeless cuckold) but who turns into some sort of cross between Thor and the Terminator on the deck of a longship. You see how his mind completely snaps into relentless, decisive action compared to his muddled resentfulness in FFC.

Too bad he's already dead . . .

As a rule of thumb, I am never a fan of rapist characters. So I could never like Victarion.

Is it rape to manipulate the thoughts of a young teenager and seduce her little by little and force yourself on her after she believes she can't say no, or shouldn't say no?

That is basically what I believe LF is up to. I know there is no proof, but dude's a freak.

As to Vic I can't name a person he rapes....

my thread, baby!

"...ill make the crew a gift of your arse..."

I love how Victarion, at first, seems like a total brute. Then, as you read a little bit more, he appears to have an honorable, noble side in regards to battle. But then you keep reading and guess what he really is just a total brute; savage to the core. Everything comes full circle with Victarion!

Next we need a thread about Big Bucket Wull!

Is it rape to manipulate the thoughts of a young teenager and seduce her little by little and force yourself on her after she believes she can't say no, or shouldn't say no?

That is basically what I believe LF is up to. I know there is no proof, but dude's a freak.

As to Vic I can't name a person he rapes....

What you described is fucked up. But it's not rape.

Archived