Where is Lightbringer?

Khal Cherian

Where is Lightbringer? It seems certain that Stannis' sword is not the real deal because it does emit heat. My theory is that it is buried deep within the crypts of Winterfell in one of the deep pools that feed the Hot Springs that surround winterfell. The first reason I think this is the fact that the Springs are hot in the first place and that Sansa describes winterfell as always being warm. Hot Springs are usually associated with volcanos yet there has never been mention of one anywhere near Winterfell or any descriptions of events that could be associated with volcanic activity. So what else could make the hot Springs hot? I think the flaming sword was placed there, deep beneath the ground, in the cool pools in order to quench its heat. Secondly, Jon (whom many people believe to be Azor Ahai Reborn) has a recurring dream where he is in the Crypts searching for something... and finally it is prophesized that 'a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword.' the fire that it is drawn from could mean Winterfell, which has been burned, and looks likely to be burned again.

Where is Lightbringer? It seems certain that Stannis' sword is not the real deal because it does emit heat. My theory is that it is buried deep within the crypts of Winterfell in one of the deep pools that feed the Hot Springs that surround winterfell. The first reason I think this is the fact that the Springs are hot in the first place and that Sansa describes winterfell as always being warm. Hot Springs are usually associated with volcanos yet there has never been mention of one anywhere near Winterfell or any descriptions of events that could be associated with volcanic activity. So what else could make the hot Springs hot? I think the flaming sword was placed there, deep beneath the ground, in the cool pools in order to quench its heat. Secondly, Jon (whom many people believe to be Azor Ahai Reborn) has a recurring dream where he is in the Crypts searching for something... and finally it is prophesized that 'a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword.' the fire that it is drawn from could mean Winterfell, which has been burned, and looks likely to be burned again.

Good theory. Or it could just be that the original Lightbringer ceased to be a magical sword after the the original AAR died or the first Other threat was defeated. Afterwards it just rusted away.

Or Lightbringer isn't really a sword, but an expression meaning something else. If the Long Night really was 8,000 years ago, ironworking hadn't made it to Westeros yet.

Think we can only speculate. Many say it'll be Dawn. Some say it's in winterfell's crypts. Others say Gendry will forge it. Some say it's dany's dragons she pulled from the fire. Others think the Night's Watch is the Sword in the darkness (just to mention the main ones I know of). Personally I consider a thought that Stannis' sword (or some other) will become Lightbringer, once tempered in the blood of Theon (representing water/sea), some Lannister (likely the king/queen at the time, so Myrcella... hard on logistics though), and finally NiStanNissa himself. Justified in first executing a king's son, then a king, then realizing the Lannisters were false kings, so he'll sacrifice himself to save Shireen. If anything will be LB at all...

"AA will pull a burning sword from the fire", I think is a prophecy of the false AA Stannis. Just like "AA will be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone" is a prophecy regarding Victarion&co who after their rebirth will blow the Horn of Valyria to wake dragons out of stone. Not sure if she had a third of these regarding Aegon...

If you believe the Ice theory - Brienne has a part of it, and the other part is in Kings Landing. Gendry forges Lightbringer = red Ice = fire + ice = Azor Ahai, and his is the song of ice and fire = Stark + Targaryen = Jon Snow.

Winterfell crypts - maybe Dark Sister dropped off there by the 3 eyed crow? maybe Rhaegar had Lightbringer and Ned left it there with his sister?

The Wall - Nights watch is lightbringer, or the actual sword is under the wall for Jon to find.

The other theory is the "sword" as a revived person - Berric Dondarion -> Cat Stark (Tully water) -> Jamie Lannister (Lion) -> ? (Nissa Nissa) -> Jon Snow

I like the Ice theory best. I can see it being reforged in the WoW by Gendry, but unsure how Jon gets it in his hands.

Lightbringer is at the Wall, my good man. And in a few other scattered places, but mostly, the Wall.

So how does Lightbringer=NW fit in with the legend of lightbringer story we hear? Do you think that story is just hogwash?

I say, because i think it's a code of some sort and i'm trying to crack it.

So far i have it referencing Doreah's story (cracked moon), and also Mel seems to be in there (agony and ecstacy).

Ive been trying to look for links to NW, but not finding much.

So how does Lightbringer=NW fit in with the legend of lightbringer story we hear? Do you think that story is just hogwash?

I say, because i think it's a code of some sort and i'm trying to crack it.

So far i have it referencing Doreah's story (cracked moon), and also Mel seems to be in there (agony and ecstacy).

Ive been trying to look for links to NW, but not finding much.

http://asoiaf.wester...e-nights-watch/

I explain how the original story could have warped into the Nissa Nissa stuff that came from the East. I don't think the story is total hogwash, per se, just that the version we're seeing now has been totally mistranslated and changed over thousands of years and who knows how many languages. It's like a really longass game of telephone.

Oh yeah, ive seen that, i really meant the more obscure details of the legend, how it was written etc. I guess you could be right about the telephone, but i'd have thought there would be more secret hints, like the link to Mel and so forth hidden within that story.

BTW, my own slant on what you originally wrote is that the Wall might be Nissa, in the sense the NW are 'married' to it, and Jon somehow bringing it down would be the sacrifice. Bah.

I'm as confused as ever.

A single knight with a flaming sword isn't enough to stop the coming hordes of undead, nor would have been enough to defeat the Others during the (First) Long Night. So it's either the magical gimmick needed to activate the magical switch which turns off the Others and long winters (which IMO wouldn't fit the place of magic in this series), or it's metaphorical and whatever defeats the Others by ADOS will not be a single person with a magical sword.

I am pretty sure Lightbringer is at the Wall.

It is, I believe, the sword in the darkness, the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn.

Lightbringer is at the Wall, my good man. And in a few other scattered places, but mostly, the Wall.

:agree:

Kinda nitpicky, but hot springs can have either volcanic heating or non-volcanic heating. The non-volcanic type is just from the water percolating very deep into the mantle where it's naturally warm. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_spring So, Winterfell does not need to be near a volcanic region to have hot springs.

I guess this is only important if you think Lightbringer is a literal sword. I always thought it was, but I suppose I need to read Apple Martini's essay and boroaden my perspective.

The original Lightbringer is in Starfall, but I believe the hero makes the sword, not the other way around. So this time Lightbringer could in fact be something else.

This! Dawn was Lightbringer during the original Long Night. The upcoming Long Night will have another Last Hero/AAR/PtwP and Lightbringer.

Archived