Video Games: And Now For Something Completely The Same

Poobah

I'm wondering whether/looking forward to when Microsoft will try and change a bunch of things about Xbone before November.

I don't think anything will be changed by launch. They've already issued that statement saying you will be able to lend a game to your xbox live friends once, however they've also said the feature won't be available at launch, which suggest to me they only recently decided to add that in. So any other changes they make now will likewise be pushed back.

But then again it takes a lot less time to remove requirements like always online and DRM than it is to write new software so who knows? I'm confident that at some point Microsoft is going to back out on all of this nonsense. But the DRM stuff might be a problem, it's possible they've already promised publishers that's how things will work.

kalbear made an important point in the previous thread:

Why is anyone going to buy a tivo to let them record shows when they have a perfectly working VCR?

There's a lot of value proposition. Not everyone has a netflix-enabled device for their TV. Many more don't have hulu+, amazon, hbogo that they can go through their TV to get. Or Pandora, Spotify, etc. For most people you either buy an expensive TV with a shitty interface for that or go through something like your DVD player (which often doesn't play it very well). And if you want to switch between a netflix movie and something on TV you have to switch devices.

The answer is: they won't. Because eg a TiVo does not work over here. Which is definitely a trap Microsoft can run into with their console as a media-centre approach. And have done before (Zune).

Why is anyone going to buy a tivo to let them record shows when they have a perfectly working VCR?

There's a lot of value proposition. Not everyone has a netflix-enabled device for their TV. Many more don't have hulu+, amazon, hbogo that they can go through their TV to get. Or Pandora, Spotify, etc. For most people you either buy an expensive TV with a shitty interface for that or go through something like your DVD player (which often doesn't play it very well). And if you want to switch between a netflix movie and something on TV you have to switch devices.

I watch Netflix on my ps3 or sometimes my former gaming PC (which now collects dust). To switch devices I press one button on my remote. And the bonus is I can have both running, making it easy to switch back and forth and 'multi task'. It's really not an inconvenience switching between devices, it all connects to my av receiver anyway.

And ps3 itself has a ton of streaming services, so its hard to imagine ps4 won't have at least the same and maybe more. So the only differentiating features between xbone and ps4 that I can see are the cable box and kinect, 2 things that don't matter to me. And ps4 has better hardware to boot.

I'm honestly kind of... disappointed.

I've had a 360 since the begining. And had an Xbox for the last year or two it was out. I've never once considered buying a PS3, because everything I wanted, the 360 provided.

But with all this DRM crap, the "maybe you can share games eventually", no renting games, focusing mainly on everything but gaming, I just have to wonder if Microsoft just went insane. Did the CEOs have too much cocaine one day, and just decide they should fuck everyone over?

And I love how Sony is handling everything.

I'm actually looking forward to getting a PS3, and towards the end of the year, begining of next year, buying a PS4. Which at this point last year I never thought I would say

If MS doesn't change anything or better explain their moves, they will be predictably thrashed. Their stocks recently dropped, and Sony's went up.

The always online thing bugs me most though. I've been without internet for a day or two a couple times in the last couple years. And I've also had my game system off for weeks sometimes (travel, busy times, etc), so how would an Xbox one work in that case? Would you apply for some kind of leave of absence? That sounds pretty ridiculous and just plain unnecessary. Also that means there's no way to game out at the cabin with your buddies...unless the cabin has internet. I guess I'll wait for more info on this, but it doesn't look good.

The used games thing has potential for MS, especially if you can eventually 'trade in' downloaded games, something that's almost unimaginable at present (I think Steam has it but not sure). But they messed up the PR end of it big time.

I really wanted an xbone before e3, it was looking good early. But man they are really messing it up, and pushed me away to Sony.

And what's with the horrible name anyway?? Anyone agree with me that 720 would've been much better?

I think anything would have been better. What do call the first Xbox now? It just lacks imagination and is plain stupid, because if anything it should be Xbox 3 (though I understand why they want to distance themselves from Sony).

You guys seem awfully sure of how things will shake out, months before anything actually ships.

Sure, between now and then Sony might screw up, or Microsoft might change everything and redeem themselves. Maybe. But as things stand, this is very one sided.

The always online thing bugs me most though. I've been without internet for a day or two a couple times in the last couple years. And I've also had my game system off for weeks sometimes (travel, busy times, etc), so how would an Xbox one work in that case?

There's official word on that, actually. Microsoft even has a product for that exact purpose!

Its the 360

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2013/06/12/microsoft-we-have-a-product-for-people-who-cant-access-the-internet-its-called-xbox-360/

Archived