LIttlefinger: book vs show

Thrice Drowned Veteran

I know this is a repost to a certain extent, but I just want to get this off my chest.

A lot of people keep saying that the Show version of LIttlefinger is too evil and just not accurate, and that the book version is a decidedly more gray version of the character and therefore much better. After rereading and rewatching, I disagree and I am starting to see why D&D wrote them as they did.

The show version, as most people agree has virtually no gray area to his quality, which is a stark contrast (no pun intended) to his book counterpart. However, after reading closer and piecing his storyline together I am definitely starting to see the book version of Littlefinger as decreasingly gray as the story moves forward. I believe the producers decided that it is in the best interest of the viewers to perceive him as a "NOT a person to be trusted," from the very beginning because the more I read the more I define him as evil.

Look at it this way: In the first book we see this guy outright betray the antagonist, Ned Stark. Whether he convinced Joff to have his head may be up for debate, but its not out of the question. More importantly, however, GRRM is directly telling us that this guy is not to be trusted and most certainly not a good guy. Furthermore, as we peel the layers of this complex [and deceptively minor] character we learn that he was the source of the Valyrian dagger Joffrey sent to slit Bran's throat. Later, while having Sansa spirited away during the Purple Wedding, he has Ser Dontos killed instead of paying him his due. (The latter event raises great suspicion as to whether Littlefinger orchestrated the murder of Joffrey, seeing as how he knew exactly when and what to do.) After languishing in secluded comfort in the Vale for a few chapters, he also murders his newfound wife, Lysa Arryn, whom he in turn had convinced to murder her husband. He murdered his own wife!!! This was on screen/page, directly viewable/readable by the readers.

WHAT IS SO GRAY ABOUT THIS CHARACTER? This man is a bad person. He is evil to the core, and somehow most readers are convinced that he is in a gray area.

For a historical parallel to his political deviousness look no further than Adolf Hitler. Routinely, he would build the trust in people and have them murdered when they no longer were of any use to his aspirations. He earned the trust of politicians and military leaders through lies and deception, and backed them up with his incredible skill at manipulating political bureaucracy. The only difference is that Littlefinger hasn't rounded up half the realm and ordered their deaths.

In the show, not only to I think Aidan Gillen plays his role extremely well, I think the way D&D wrote him is working. They are telling the otherwise disillusioned readers that he is evil (which he is), right from the beginning. By including the Varys and Littlefinger vignettes they show the viewers that each of them have ulterior motives than what they lead their counterparts to believe. Through these vignettes we are shown that Varys is working "for the good of the realm" (which is a load of crap, but that's a whole other discussion) and Littlefinger is playing the game of thrones to rise through the ranks of nobility because he was so hurt by Brandon Stark for being a puny, weak little lowborn lordling ... which is what the reader SHOULD know, but for some reason refuses to acknowledge.

So, in conclusion, Littlefinger is not in any shape or form gray, no matter which medium you favor. He is evil.

I am not even sure of my opinion of LF, something i hope is due more to GRRM's writing than my attention. LF does do bad things, especially for power. However, in this series its worth reserving judgement as people can do bad things for good reasons. It is much easier to play with the readers emotions than a tv viewers in relation to a characters true nature.

In fact i think effort has gone into making the viewer pity varys at times when he is often up to no good too.

Why did Aiden Gillen start talking like an idiot after season 1? That 'accent' (if you'd call it that) is a bit overdone.

Back on topic: In the books LF tends to fly under the radar until around Storm, but in the show, his 'villainy' is revealed sooner, so to speak.

Why did Aiden Gillen start talking like an idiot after season 1? That 'accent' (if you'd call it that) is a bit overdone.

Back on topic: In the books LF tends to fly under the radar until around Storm, but in the show, his 'villainy' is revealed sooner, so to speak.

Well, as nearly the entire cast is British, one could argue that all the actors have ridiculous accents. :P

Littlefinger is evil in the books and the show. Book Littlefinger is much more subtle, whereas in the show he's more like an over the top Bond Villain.

Heard this said, but it's really not that true. He was not very subtle when rubbing it in Tyrion's face about what the knife. Openly mocked Ned about Brandon many times and Catelyn. He was quite free with his insults and the likes of Stannis saw right through him.

I don't think the show character is too evil or even more evil than the book character . I just think the actor portraying him (might be unfair since he's probably just following direction) exaggerates it a little too much. With the voice and the leery face, I'm just surprised he hasn't started twirling his mustache.

In the show, they make him much too obvious. While readers always knew he was a power hungry, it's important to remember few in Westeros recognized this. Littlefinger was simply seen as a charming minor lord, loyal to the crown with a talent for making money. Only a couple, like Tyrion, notice somethings amiss, and they still don't see the extent of his plotting. If he showed his ambitions as clearly as he does on the show, I doubt that he would have ever been appointed to the Small Council.

I find their major actions comparable, but the books give LF (and many other characters, like Mance) more nuance, more motivation, more interaction, etc. This makes him more well-rounded. So TV Littlefinger is 2-D, whereas book Littlefinger is 3-D. He would probably be even moreso if he were a POV, but that would surely give too much away. Plus TV Littlefinger is only through roughly half of SoS. Book LF has 5 books to develop demensions. His recent interaction with Sansa and his handling of the Vale are fascinating. Much of the grey comes from things that have not even occurred on the programme.

I find their major actions comparable, but the books give LF (and many other characters, like Mance) more nuance, more motivation, more interaction, etc. This makes him more well-rounded. So TV Littlefinger is 2-D, whereas book Littlefinger is 3-D. He would probably be even moreso if he were a POV, but that would surely give too much away. Plus TV Littlefinger is only through roughly half of SoS. Book LF has 5 books to develop demensions. His recent interaction with Sansa and his handling of the Vale are fascinating. Much of the grey comes from things that have not even occurred on the programme.

I'm not sure I understand your 3D / 2D argument. Are you saying that the way he is written makes him seem more alive compared to the TV show?

I think TV littlefinger is actually a more fleshed out character, but purely because he has more airtime than his book counterpart.

Also, just to make things clear, I am actually of the opinion that LF is a great character, regardless of whether I believe him evil or not.

No matter what you think about LF, he is one of the most important characters. If it was not for him, the books would have been dull until the others show up and start taking down the wall.

I for one like him, because he is smart as hell, and just as dangerous.

Archived