Why does Arya have so many chapters?

total1402

Arya is the Wolverine of this group of X men. The loner with a hard edge, with a tortured psyche. The one who is tinged with darkness and violence, irreverent to authority and single minded in dispatching the enemies. And yet the one we all root for regardless.

No surprises who is the most popular X man. Martins genius is that he managed to recreate this character in the guise of a 10 year old girl.

I personally can´t wait for the next Arya chapter in twow... I´m pretty sure we´ll soon get to hear how the FM destroyed the dragon lords and caused the doom... or at least more about these weirwood chairs.

She also seems to have become an apprentice to a personally assigned FM... how cool is that going to be.

Then she´s going to see Justin Massey arrive to Braavos, hear about Arya married to Ramsay Snow, Jon Snow´s murder and might even smuggle her self on board one of the sellsword ships going to help Stannis. Or not... But in any case it´s going to be a thrill to read.

I am sorry.
I doubt it.

But two books for a character to get to a destination (RW) so she can decide to become assasian is just filler.
A book is not about the destination, but about the journey though. Let me spare you the rest of the fillers: the Others are defeated, the Starks come back and win, with a little help from their friends.

It just happens, as said multiple times in this thread already, that Arya's chapters are not only about Arya getting a coin and missing the wedding, but about developing what happens for the common people during the war, showing Arya's changes, and introducing a few supporting characters that Martin will use afterwards (most notably, the BwB.)

Because Arya is doing interesting things while Sansa POV is put in when GRRM needs a bieberfan to witness certain events.

I am sorry, but this is one of the most shallow statements I have ever read regarding Sansa's POV. I doubt any Bieber fan would like to read the emotional journey of that depth... Simply, you can't be more wrong about this.

Because Arya is doing interesting things while Sansa POV is put in when GRRM needs a bieberfan to witness certain events.

Sansa has very few chapters. Besides shes more interesting than Arya because shes always able to play off great characters like Cersei. the hound and Baelish. Its also easy to sympathise with Sansa throughout her chapters which makes them engaging. Plus its easy to trace Sansas changing attitude as the books progress and this is something which is subtle but not dragged out like Aryas is. I do not need a lot of material to understand why Arya goes from moody tomboy to desensitized killer; because the 2 traumatic events achieve this easily enough. Whilst with Sansa the jump to me is much greater and because she needs to believe that her whole worldview is wrong and she isn't just the victim of unusually bad circumstances it requires more instances of her values being shaken because she could just chalk this up to "Joff n Lannisters are evil". Aryas values aren't really changed from the first book, shes from a society where you are expected to kill your enemies and that's largely what she does; she simply stops being shocked by it around Harrenhal. Now her family is dead and she wants to bury her head in the sand as a FM.

I take it there will be 10 more Arya chapters in tWoW covering her campaign when she is running for Sealady! :ninja:

I'd expect it to be about that. But Arya isn't a politician. Likely she could kill people to manipulate who will become Sealord of Braavos of course. Besides, the Lands of Ice and Fire map showed her as leaving Braavos toward Westeros; at least that's what a mate told me. So Izembaro may not even be in Essos.

The "real world" is just a background thing and entirely descriptive. I don't see why its a reason in of itself for lots of chapters. Surely Aryas chapters should be about her and what she does.

Your thinking is flawed almost every chapter of every POV is about both what is going on around them and themselves. It for example would take a moron to not see in Cersei's early AFFC POVs the glaringly obvious problems with her administrative and "problem solving" capabilities and the likely outcomes thereof.

I am sorry, but this is one of the most shallow statements I have ever read regarding Sansa's POV. I doubt any Bieber fan would like to read the emotional journey of that depth... Simply, you can't be more wrong about this.

As a Bieber fan I feel that statement is kind of broad.

Your thinking is flawed almost every chapter of every POV is about both what is going on around them and themselves. It for example would take a moron to not see in Cersei's early AFFC POVs the glaringly obvious problems with her administrative and "problem solving" capabilities and the likely outcomes thereof.

Cerseis problem solving and ruling is very much about her and her arc though. Arya witnessing the plight of the Riverlands people isn't because her goal is getting home for ACOk and ASOS. Considering I am menat to be rooting for Arya getting back home, all the other people she runs into that try to push their problems at the reader just seem a nuisance and distraction since it involves me relating to faceless masses over the POV character I am reading about.

Cerseis problem solving and ruling is very much about her and her arc though. Arya witnessing the plight of the Riverlands people isn't because her goal is getting home for ACOk and ASOS. Considering I am menat to be rooting for Arya getting back home, all the other people she runs into that try to push their problems at the reader just seem a nuisance and distraction since it involves me relating to faceless masses over the POV character I am reading about.

But the plight of the Riverlands is still an important aspect because it is tied to the purpose of the Brotherhood without Banners, the Sparrows etc. So while it isn't really affecting Arya's character arc (like your example with Cersei), it is still important for the larger construction of the story and the bigger picture. Besides, the suffering of the poor and the rulers' ignorance thereof is still a major theme of the books, whether you like it or not.

No one forces you to read filler. If something is filler, don't read it. If it is necessary, well I don't see any other option.

I understand, you think what we got of the destruction of riverlands should've been covered from another viewpoint as well. But that is what Martin decides. Maybe he likes her more than Jaime (You seem to be a Jaime fan). Well, the wine is spilled, the wench is pregnant, there is nothing one can do about it is there? :D

I'm confused, I'm an Arya and a Jaime fan, is that not allowed?? :dunno:

Archived