Rickon's Future

Dead Wolf

Rickon is Robb's true heir if Bran is never coming back, as the will naming Jon heir to WF is invalidated by his continued existence. So there's a good chance that he'll be Lord of Winterfell/King in the North at the end of the series. If, however, Jon does become KitN or Bran comes back Rickon has several options:

1. Castellan/Lord of Moat Cailin

2. Castellan of the Wolf's Den after Ser Bartimus dies

3. Lord of the Dreadfort- the curse of Harrenhal will claim Roose's life and Ramsay isn't going to last long

4. Lord of Skagos in the same way Tristan Sunderland is Lord of the Three Sisters

5. Jon's/Bran's captain of guards

6. A knight living the life that Bran can't

7. A green man living a peaceful life on the Isle of Faces

Thoughts?

Oh, if Rickon stays on Skagos he will not be any mere lord. To them he will be GOD.

But yes I am 99.99% certain Rickon Stark will be The Stark In Winterfell and will be the one to have children to carry on the Stark Family Name when it's all over. Pet Prediction: ADOS epilogue is Rickon Stark taking his son to his first beheading, echoing the direwolf discovery chapter that began the series. Whether he's King In The North or Lord Of Winterfell Under The Iron Throne remains to be seen, but he'll be there.

Davos getting dubbed an Honorary Northerner and getting to be (one of) Rickon's advisor(s) would be pretty darn awesome but I'm not positive its in the cards. Davos would probably prefer to go home to his wife and surviving sons, but I'm sure he'd always be welcome at Rickon's Winterfell.

Since I don't think Jon will ever want to claim a kingship or a lordship... and Rickon will still be a young child when the series ends (unless GRRM wants to skip ahead a half dozen years)... Rickon will get back to Winterfell, but not as Lord per se. He'll be tough during the winter, and end up back home eventually. Hopefully Sansa will claim it.

Oh, if Rickon stays on Skagos he will not be any mere lord. To them he will be GOD.o

But yes I am 99.99% certain Rickon Stark will be The Stark In Winterfell and will be the one to have children to carry on the Stark Family Name when it's all over. Pet Prediction: ADOS epilogue is Rickon Stark taking his son to his first beheading, echoing the direwolf discovery chapter that began the series. Whether he's King In The North or Lord Of Winterfell Under The Iron Throne remains to be seen, but he'll be there.

Davos getting dubbed an Honorary Northerner and getting to be (one of) Rickon's advisor(s) would be pretty darn awesome but I'm not positive its in the cards. Davos would probably prefer to go home to his wife and surviving sons, but I'm sure he'd always be welcome at Rickon's Winterfell.

Maybe rickon can give the dreadfort, after the bolton line is extinguished. Now, that would be great.

I like your thought on the epilouge of ADOS, that would be a perfect ending.

Davos would probably prefer to go home to his wife and surviving sons

No doubt, but what if they predecease him? Womp womp!

I would be supremely pissed, actually, if Davos' remaining family were wiped out to facilitate Davos becoming Rickon's surrogate parent and a permanent northerner, but it wouldn't surprise me at this point.

I think that immediately after confrontation, we will see Jon taking the Regency in Rickon's name. When Rickon becomes of age, Jon will leave Rickon to his affairs as King in the North, and he will rejoin the reformed NW where he will live until his death.

Rickon is Robb's true heir if Bran is never coming back, as the will naming Jon heir to WF is invalidated by his continued existence.

I think this initial assumption is flawed. Depending on the wording of Robb's will, Rickon's existence may not invalidate Jon's claim/title as KITN and Lord of Winterfell. Robb wrote the will thinking that Rickon was dead. There would be no reason for him to include anything about Rickon or Bran for this reason.

Having said that, however, I do not think Jon would ever deny Rickon or Bran their birth rights. I think Zunni has the right of it here, unless Jon never claims the regency at all because he is too invested at the wall, or in the upcoming Dance of Dragons.

How does it even work with regency? You can't just claim it. Bastard has no right to do that. Do some council of lords have to agree on the candidate or what?

A bastard has no right of inheritance. This seems entirely different.

Not sure if in Westeros it is just claimed or a council agrees on it, but Jon being Rickon's closest living relative who has experience at leadership just makes sense.

I think this initial assumption is flawed. Depending on the wording of Robb's will, Rickon's existence may not invalidate Jon's claim/title as KITN and Lord of Winterfell. Robb wrote the will thinking that Rickon was dead. There would be no reason for him to include anything about Rickon or Bran for this reason.

Having said that, however, I do not think Jon would ever deny Rickon or Bran their birth rights. I think Zunni has the right of it here, unless Jon never claims the regency at all because he is too invested at the wall, or in the upcoming Dance of Dragons.

I am not counting that Rickon being alive would invalidate Robb's will, because after all, Robb legitimized Jon, and that has nothing to do with whether Rickon is alive or not. This has more to do with Jon is, a guy who would never steal something from his siblings. He would help them, even serve and protect them, but never take what he thinks is theirs. So, I imagine that Jon will take position as Rickon's Regent, beat the crap out of Others, rule until Rickon comes of age, by that time reform the NW, and then, when Rickon is old enough, he would retreat to NW where he will serve until the end of his days.

How does it even work with regency? You can't just claim it. Bastard has no right to do that. Do some council of lords have to agree on the candidate or what?

Jon is not bastard anymore. He is legitimized by Robb's will.

Rickon will end up ravaging the entirety of Westoros riding Shaggy Dog with a hundred thousand Skagos men at his back. Nah but seriously, I would love for him to actually develop some psychological deficiency where he is almost as mad as Ramsay but in a pleasant, KITN type of way where he vanquishes any enemy of the Stark's that ever existed.

Rickon will end up ravaging the entirety of Westoros riding Shaggy Dog with a hundred thousand Skagos men at his back. Nah but seriously, I would love for him to actually develop some psychological deficiency where he is almost as mad as Ramsay but in a pleasant, KITN type of way where he vanquishes any enemy of the Stark's that ever existed.

I kind of like the idea of Rickon (or someone else) as a benign Ramsay type (that bit with him licking the blood off his hand in AGOT kind of made me think he could be headed in that direction), but how would that even work? Ramsay's shtick is torturing innocents. The closest we currently have might be someone like Manderly, who bakes Stark/North enemies into pies.

Rickon will end up ravaging the entirety of Westoros riding Shaggy Dog

What, not a unicorn? :D

Actually, now that you mention it and thinking about how Davos' story arc has gone, they probably will.

That's what I'm afraid of. :(

I think Rickon will become Lord of WF with Jon as his guardian to look after him, and I expect Rickon will come to think of him as a father figure the way Ned viewed Jon Arryn. Ned looked after Jon when he needed care, and Jon will return the favor and look after Ned's son when he needs care.

Jon will claim the title of KitN through Robb's will, but he will let WF pass to Rickon.

I think Rickon will become Lord of WF with Jon as his guardian to look after him, and I expect Rickon will come to think of him as a father figure the way Ned viewed Jon Arryn. Ned looked after Jon when he needed care, and Jon will return the favor and look after Ned's son when he needs care.

Jon will claim the title of KitN through Robb's will, but he will let WF pass to Rickon.

So he can become King

I kind of like the idea of Rickon (or someone else) as a benign Ramsay type (that bit with him licking the blood off his hand in AGOT kind of made me think he could be headed in that direction), but how would that even work? Ramsay's shtick is torturing innocents. The closest we currently have might be someone like Manderly, who bakes Stark/North enemies into pies.

What, not a unicorn? :D

That's what I'm afraid of. :(

Rickon could take inspiration from 'The Burning of Winterfell' (italics because it's sad), and could produce the greatest irony of them all. His schtick being deranged Pyromaniac akin to Aerys or .. I think it was a Brandon Stark who destroyed the naval fleet in outrage of his Father dying at sea? IIRC.

Either way, Rickon returning with unicorns and flesh eating tribal people will be an event that Westoros will just have to wait for in anticipation.

Oh, if Rickon stays on Skagos he will not be any mere lord. To them he will be GOD.

The son will be 3 years old, I reckon.

Archived