The Finger Dance

Victarion Chainbreaker

The Finger Dance. Is it a world-building flourish to show how fearless, reckless, and skilled with axes the Ironborn are? Or is it foreshadowing of the ultimate Ironborn fist bump moment?

The Greyjoys are seriously lacking in fistbump moments. The Starks have them (The Whispering Wood, Arya smacking the shit out of Joffrey) as do the Targaryens "A dragon is not a slave" "Fetch me a block," the Lannisters "With a trebuchet," (every time Tyrion slaps Joffrey), the Baratheons (Battle of Castle Black,) and even the Martells have a very brief one before Oberyn gets within reach. The Greyjoys have 4 POV characters, more than any family but the Starks, but so far there's no point at which they really get their moment to shine.

I theorize that the Finger Dance will be that moment. Someone significant who is not Ironborn will try to kill a Greyjoy with a flying axe, only to find that axe coming right back at them.

<Here be crackpots!>

Will Daario attempt to kill Victarion? Will Loras try to kill Euron? How about Clayton Suggs wanting to murder Asha? For maximum effect, I think it should be someone else.

During the Battle of Ice, Theon will see Ramsay across the field of battle and will freeze up, terrified and transformed back to Reek. Ramsay will see Theon but won't be able to close with him, so he'll send an axe spinning toward Theon's head. The axe flying at him will remind him that he's Ironborn, not Reek, and despite the injury to his hand he'll snatch the axe from the air and fling it into Ramsay's skull.

How awesome would that be?

During the Battle of Ice, Theon will see Ramsay across the field of battle and will freeze up, terrified and transformed back to Reek. Ramsay will see Theon but won't be able to close with him, so he'll send an axe spinning toward Theon's head. The axe flying at him will remind him that he's Ironborn, not Reek, and despite the injury to his hand he'll snatch the axe from the air and fling it into Ramsay's skull.

How awesome would that be?

It would be pretty awesome. Only problem, I think, is that Theon never really was much of an ironborn and I doubt he did the fingerdance as a boy before the Starks claimed him as a hostage. At Winterfell, who would he have done the Finger Dance with?

That would be insanely awesome, if a little cartoonish.

"Fetch me a block" is not a Targ fist bump moment though, Jon is a Stark and if it is true that he is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna he will still be a Stark (just not legally).

Jon may be a dragon, but he behaves much more like a direwolf, hence my prediction for Jon's title; Wolfdragon.

Jon Targaryen? More like Jon Waters...

What exactly is a fist-pumping moment, a moment were we as readers can sheer them because they did something awesome? The Greyjoy's did have some glorious moments, but no nothing to sheer for. But neither have the Tyrells or the Arryns. I'm sure it will come, and I hope it's something with the finger dance.

You didn't mention the fist-pumping moments of the Tully's though, for instance the awesome speech of the Blackfish.

When I think of battling with axes, I think of Tyrion. Then I think of Victarion, and an axe approaching his head. If he catches it, I frankly don't know how I'd feel about it.

But as others have mentioned, Asha is the one we've been made to believe is the perfect iron ballerina, so if what you described happens, I see her playing catch.

When I think of battling with axes, I think of Tyrion. Then I think of Victarion, and an axe approaching his head. If he catches it, I frankly don't know how I'd feel about it.

But as others have mentioned, Asha is the one we've been made to believe is the perfect iron ballerina, so if what you described happens, I see her playing catch.

Indeed! Asha catching the axe and throwing it back at Ramsay would be badass!

What exactly is a fist-pumping moment, a moment were we as readers can sheer them because they did something awesome? The Greyjoy's did have some glorious moments, but no nothing to sheer for. But neither have the Tyrells or the Arryns. I'm sure it will come, and I hope it's something with the finger dance.

You didn't mention the fist-pumping moments of the Tully's though, for instance the awesome speech of the Blackfish.

I think he was focusing on families with POV characters, which is why he left off the Tyrells and the Arryns. Greyjoys have the 2nd most number of POV characters, all of whom are still alive, but they don't have as many as some of the smaller families.

Why would he be Jon Waters? He's never been to KL in his life. He was born in Dorne and brought up in the North so Snow is perfectly fine if he's not legitimate.

Anyway, I hope that we get some fistpump moments for Theon in the next book. He's sorely in need of it. The scenario of the OP is a little cartoonish as others have noted.

I think the biggest fist-pump moment for the Greyjoys so far has been the capture of Winterfell. For some reason not many readers get excited by this.

The more I think about it, Westerosi have been dealing with Ironborn raiders for centuries, and probably know better than to throw an axe at one. It's more likely to be an Essosi trying to kill Vic.

Archived