Comics IX - Cheerleader Number Nine

Sci-2

Answering the last post of the previous thread.

Well she was unconscious, and only came back due to the influence of the Builders. And they only rebelled thanks to Ex Nihilo and Abyss, who in turn had been influenced by their interactions with the Avengers.

Yep.

I do think if at least Abyss had died it would've been more poignant though.

I do agree, though seems Hickman isn't done with her yet.

I'm with you on this. There's been enough build up, it's time for the Illuminati to work on figuring about who the Big Bad is instead of just waiting for incursions.

Wasn't that in part the point of Black Swan's speech?

Wasn't that in part the point of Black Swan's speech?

Yeah, but she's been making that speech for almost year now. Seems like at least Strange is trying to delay the seemingly inevitable end [but I hope everyone else starts to be proactive].

I'd like to see them actually trying to dig up more information rather than just listening to Black Swan.

They should, after all, have the means to travel the multiverse.

I finally found the time to read last week's Image books. Black Science was interesting; I'm intrigued, so giving issue 2 a chance. I did love the art. And Pretty Deadly is... I don't really feel the story. A pity, as I thought the first issue had some potential. It's like they're trying too hard to make a poetic comic book narrative, it just feels forced.

I finally found the time to read last week's Image books. Black Science was interesting; I'm intrigued, so giving issue 2 a chance. I did love the art. And Pretty Deadly is... I don't really feel the story. A pity, as I thought the first issue had some potential. It's like they're trying too hard to make a poetic comic book narrative, it just feels forced.

I think it really depends what's on the shelf next month as to whether I pick up issue 2 of Black Science. The Fantastic Four meets Sliders set up has potential as long as the worlds are interesting. The thing is I found the alternate world stories to be the least interesting in his X-force run.

I think Pretty Deadly is probably going to be a comic that is loved by a small minority. Nothing wrong with that,

Deep down I hate the Marvel teases but for some reason the new one of "future" has me guessing what it might be. The font has me thinking "days of future past" ongoing as it reminds me of Sentinels. Also MArvel would be stupid not to have a storyline that might cash in with the film - even if they hate the fact Disney doesn't own the film rights.

On Pretty Deadly:

I like this comic, though I admit I barely comprehend what's going on. Reminds me of Enigma, one of Milligan's underrated works, and I suspect Pretty Deadly will similarly work better as a trade paperback.

On Marvel Future:

Given they've got the All New X-men, and come January they'll have All New Avengers coming in from the past, we're likely going to have some other tie in to past works. Poison of Nostalgia and all that.
If it is a DoFP callback I give them props for trolling us with the very word that'd suggest forward looking developments of the MCU.

Deep down I hate the Marvel teases but for some reason the new one of "future" has me guessing what it might be. The font has me thinking "days of future past" ongoing as it reminds me of Sentinels. Also MArvel would be stupid not to have a storyline that might cash in with the film - even if they hate the fact Disney doesn't own the film rights.

I have heard rumors of Spidey 2099, which would be off-the-wall cool.

I have heard rumors of Spidey 2099, which would be off-the-wall cool.

That would also fit the colour scheme and it wouldn't have to be in the future either. Haven't read the Superior stories featuring him yet but I'd be interested if he were to get his own series in the present.

So Zenith is coming back in hardcover, and Rebellion might actually be robbing Morrison as GM may not ever have signed his rights away?

=-=-=

Spurrier's Free-To-Read "Disenchanted" Defies Myth & Legend

I've not read much of this, but it seems interesting and is free so thought it'd be worth a mention. I didn't realize Spurrier created Crossed, largely b/c I've never read it beyond flipping through an issue.

That would also fit the colour scheme and it wouldn't have to be in the future either. Haven't read the Superior stories featuring him yet but I'd be interested if he were to get his own series in the present.

Sadly, it's just a renumber/relaunch of Snikt and the Bub-Men, but written by Latour, now. I guess they want Aaron freer for something else?

Sadly, it's just a renumber/relaunch of Snikt and the Bub-Men, but written by Latour, now. I guess they want Aaron freer for something else?

Wonderful so we get ANOTHER x-men title

Uncanny x-men - 18 issues a year

all new x-men - 18 issues a year

wolverine and the x-men - 18 issues a year

Amazing X-men - 12 issues a year (probably 18 though)

x-men - at least 12 issues a year

That's 78 issues a year of what is essentially the same team and that's with me giving Uncanny X-force and X-factor some slack for at least trying to be a different spin on the x-men format (although I don't think X-force is any different really). I can see why Marvel does it though as that's over $300 a year for every X-fan who follows the "main" team. Not bad.

Now I admit some hypocrisy when I initially thought it may be a DOFP comic but I really think the X-men titles are far too overexposed at the moment. It seems like they cancel a title, replace it with a new adjective and then bring back the title they cancelled as well.

I guess Batman will be as bad next year when he gets a weekly on top of his collection.

"Future" might've indicated someone at Marvel cares about Remender's utilization of Bendis's Seven Timeline split. Especially since one of the seven timelines - presumably the darkest one - has Magneto sporting a goatee.

I actually do wonder, given what seems to be the conclusion of the Ultimates Line, if Marvel wants to launch a new alternative universe take.

I wouldn't mind this, though I guess there'd need to be some kind of theme. Maybe a universe where there's more societal impact regarding revelations of Norse Gods, massive advances in technology, and the reality of alien life being public knowledge?

That's 78 issues a year of what is essentially the same team and that's with me giving Uncanny X-force and X-factor some slack for at least trying to be a different spin on the x-men format (although I don't think X-force is any different really). I can see why Marvel does it though as that's over $300 a year for every X-fan who follows the "main" team. Not bad.

Now I admit some hypocrisy when I initially thought it may be a DOFP comic but I really think the X-men titles are far too overexposed at the moment. It seems like they cancel a title, replace it with a new adjective and then bring back the title they cancelled as well.

I guess Batman will be as bad next year when he gets a weekly on top of his collection.

I wouldn't mind all the X-titles if they would actually diversify the teams more. A lot of the kids are sitting in Limbo, the New Mutants are scattered to the winds but not all being used, etc. At least in the Batman weekly there's hope of getting the love spread around with side characters, too.

Marvel's boner for #1s is getting annoying.

I wouldn't mind all the X-titles if they would actually diversify the teams more. A lot of the kids are sitting in Limbo, the New Mutants are scattered to the winds but not all being used, etc. At least in the Batman weekly there's hope of getting the love spread around with side characters, too.

Marvel's boner for #1s is getting annoying.

I agree - if they actually had different mutants on each team it wouldn't be so bad. But it's always Psylocke, Kitty, Wolverine and Storm on every team with 1-2 unique members.

The number one issue I'd be fine with as long as it was an annual thing. It's the randomness of it that is annoying.

Just found out my favourite book's sales keep on dropping. Not looking good for Superior Foes, especially with all the new NOW books stealing sales in a couple months.

And then we have the reason why Marvel sticks the same characters in every book. Superior Foes doesn't have any names attached so regardless of quality it's suffering. I have to admit that I haven't tried it yet. Will try and pick up the trade to save money and hopefully that's where the sales for the book are.

And then we have the reason why Marvel sticks the same characters in every book. Superior Foes doesn't have any names attached so regardless of quality it's suffering. I have to admit that I haven't tried it yet. Will try and pick up the trade to save money and hopefully that's where the sales for the book are.

I gave this a whirl and it is really that good.

Inhumanity #1 was basically a recap of the events of Infinity, except that in the end, for some reason, Karnak is going crazy in the beginning and in the end

commits suicide

for some reason that I couldn't figure out, except the obvious shock value.

Overall, a weak week.

Yeah, I wasn't that impressed either, but it got 10/10 on Newsarama. 0_0

Iron Man 19: Gillen flirts with Bendis style decompression. Well, not exactly true, but this issue felt like padding. I presume [some] of this is set up along with characterization but was disappointed we learned next to nothing on the other ring bearers. Seeing as there's only a two more issues before the March Mandarin event that feels off.

GoGalaxy: I don't think anything important happened this issue. Oh, I guess Gamora had left the team at some point? I didn't even remember that happening. Not sure if that's my fault on Bendis's.

Young Avengers 13: Loved how these guys depicted Billy's manifestation of the Demiurge power. The reveal about what was going on with Leah and the Gang of Evil Exes was well done. Katie and Noh-Varr subplot was nice, but that whole relationship kinda absorbed all the face time Kate got this arc.

=-=-=

As an aside I started reading some Avengers A.I. I like it, it's well done and presents a new race competing with organic life in a way that's reminiscent yet different from the Inhuman or mutant stories.

Archived