Are Stannis Fans conservatives?

Fanless Mace

Ever since the rise of the Tea Party, I've tended to side with the political left, but I still support Stannis. You raise some good points, and while I dislike Stannis for his harshness and the religion he allows to be forced upon his followers, in the story I believe he is currently the most capable man for the job. By that, I mean he is fair. Harsh, yes, but fair. His treatment of Davos (the fingers for the knighthood) is a prime example of this.

As evidenced by responses in this thread, OP's assumption doesn't hold water - Stannis's fans come from all ends of political spectrum. Personally I'm a mild Stan-fan and pretty left-ish in my political views.

Though I am curious as of how would Stannis stand in today's politics - while he e.g. does try to impose Rhllorism on everyone, whether they like it or not; he has some very progressive views, at least for medieval times (Every man shall reap what he sowed, from highest noble to lowest gutter rat)

No. This thread has been done before and it's always a stealth attack on stannis and his fans. I love stannis a lot and it has nothing to do with my real life political views.(I'm def not conservative)

Really? Is every thread about Stannis not started by you an attack now?

Rule of Law is not a 'Conservative' idea!

There is no rule of law in the seven kingdoms. Stannis, Dany, Young Wolf, Joffrey, Balon, Aegon, Robert are all/were all aiming to be absolute monarchs (Robert is more of an absolut monarch than an absolute monarch), they can do what they like and sentence people to death whenever they want.

Rule of Law was a liberal idea that said everybody should be treated the same, and Kings should not be able to change the law for their own benefit.

I'm (by american standards) very left-wing, and support King Stannis. In real life I want a republic (UK), and so I wouldn't support any King.

Living under feudal rule is terrible, I'd definitely move to one of the free cities.

With all due respect the 'Liberal' in the name of the 'Liberal party' has little to do with historical liberalism. It's just a historical name by now that roughly represents the sum of the beliefs of it's leaders. The name does not make it the default successor of the liberal revolutions any more than Volantis, which has more slaves than freemen is truly a free city.

I prefer the more general (and global) right/left wing.

I am indifferent for Stannis, he is certainly a better person than many other lords. Still as a ruler he is too rigid, lacks significantly in real-politic. Sometimes choosing to do the most morally correct thing out of a rigid set of rules can cause a lot more death and suffering to the general population.

There is a saying that sometimes it's better to act the smart way rather than the right way (or, choose your battles). Stannis should take note.

I am leaning to the right wing, atheist.

Here in the UK, the vast majority of Conservatives support the monarchy.

This is an excellent point, and further confirms the need to adequately define "conservative" before we can discuss whether conservatives like Stannis. I was assuming that the OP was using the American definition of "conservative." That definition may be quite different from what "conservative" means in England, just like the current usage of the term "liberal" in America is becoming nearly the opposite of classical liberalism.

Here in the UK, the vast majority of Conservatives support the monarchy.

What do you mean by "support the monarchy"?

actually support the restoration of power to the Monarchy, or just support it as a national symbol without actual power (state power that is, their money and popularity is something else).

I consider myself to be very leftist and I'm anti-Stannis.

I can see what people are saying about Stannis not being devout, but the power behind his administration is religious fundamentalism.

I consider myself to be very leftist and I'm anti-Stannis.

I can see what people are saying about Stannis not being devout, but the power behind his administration is religious fundamentalism.

I don't think it's fair to treat the religions in the fictional world as we do our own. Specifically the one with the red god.

An Atheist myself, seeing a woman shoot a fireball into the sky might just make me believe.

(some) of their religions actually have measurable reproducible effects, unlike those in the real world.

What do you mean by "support the monarchy"?

actually support the restoration of power to the Monarchy, or just support it as a national symbol without actual power (state power that is, their money and popularity is something else).

Indeed. But even if it is the latter, it's amazing the way that our country's renewed obsession with the royal family is being used to distract the masses from the fact that we're being exploited. Observe the way that we were given a national holiday for William and Kate's wedding, so that we would feel like we were being rewarded and forget about government austerity. It's essentially what happened in King's Landing; one minute the smallfolk are rioting for bread and slaughtering/raping any highborn they can get their hands on and the next they're fawning over Margaery Tyrell.

Indeed. But even if it is the latter, it's amazing the way that our country's renewed obsession with the royal family is being used to distract the masses from the fact that we're being exploited. Observe the way that we were given a national holiday for William and Kate's wedding, so that we would feel like we were being rewarded and forget about government austerity. It's essentially what happened in King's Landing; one minute the smallfolk are rioting for bread and slaughtering/raping any highborn they can get their hands on and the next they're fawning over Margaery Tyrell.

I don't think that's a fair comparison. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the monarchy brings in far more money through tourism etc than it costs the public.

next they're fawning over Margaery Tyrell.

Who is of the family that delivered said bread and who's family was a pivot in lifting the siege and prevented the sacking of KL. I would be grateful too.

As for the rest, I don't have opinions over issues I am largely ignorant of, and since I'm not British...

I am a Staunch Atheist, I voted for the Australian Labor party( which is very liberal and is mostly considered a left-wing) and i am currently finishing my laws study. If Stannis is conservative and unjust then i would never like him. I hate when people say he is a religious nut-job,he is anything but that. He is a pragmatist. Supporting quote is this "I stopped believing in gods the day I saw the Windproud break up across the bay. Any gods so monstrous as to drown my mother and father would never have my worship, I vowed. In King’s Landing, the High Septon would prattle at me of how all justice and goodness flowed from the Seven, but all I ever saw of either was made by men".

You should probably back up these opinions you have about conservatives. The Three Strikes law exists in California, the most legally progressive state in the Union.

For the record, I don't consider myself conservative, liberal, or whatever. I've got my opinions on things, and they're all over the place. Some are right of center, a few (very few) are left, and some "important" issues I just don't take a stance on because I don't think they're as important as people make them out to be. Either way, I do love me some Stannis lol.

I don't even see Stannis as a conservative, in any sense of the word. People are quick to label things they don't like, with people they don't like.

1) He is an Atheist. American Conservatives / Republicans are almost exclusively Christian.

2) He appears to dislike the whole 'system' in place as it is. He sees it as his duty to be king, because without a king, there would be no law and order. Which, he values above his own life.

3) He'd have his daughter rule. So he doesn't seem to care about gender issues, he hates everyone equally.

4) He raised a commoner to the equal of a Prime Minister. He judges by merits, not by blood and words.

I mean, he only puts up with Mel because she does have power. He said as much himself. He doesn't believe in the Red God; he believes in doing the right thing. Yes, his opinions may not be similar to mine all the time but I am a loyal Stannis fan and I am not right wing, nor do I believe, is he as much as people make out. I find many 'liberal' people only care about rights as long as they go with what they want.

Stannis is a conservative who has some pretty radical thoughts, for his time and place. He's an atheist; appoints people to high office, on the basis of merit, rather than birth; rejects the idea that Lord Celtigar's people should be punished for his defection; and gelds soldiers who rape captive enemy women.

He reminds me of the Duke of Wellington. A staunch conservative, but not a reactionary.

Archived