NFL Thread 2013 Week 14 - Jaguars vs. Texans - The Teddy Bridgewater Bowl

Jaime L

That's a failure of communication on the team right there if so. They should have let him know in no uncertain terms that he was the future, and then promptly had him sit half the season or so while Cousins went out there and built up trade value so they can move back into the draft.

Yep, if true, phenomenal fuck up by Shannahan and the management. Also given the price Washington paid to get him, RG3 should not have been so insecure.

Interesting article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-washington-redskins-must-trade-kirk-cousins-offseason-153000481--nfl.html

Apparently RG3 came back too early as he was worried about loosing his job to Kirk Cousins.

WTF?

Not a lot of meat to that article. Basically one NFL reporter suspects that Griffin rushed back to avoid letting Cousins play. That's it.

Griffin won rookie of the year. He had easily the best performance by a Redskins QB since Mark Rypien in '92. The idea that we would just abandon him for Cousins is flatly absurd, and Griffin would have to be a moron to think that. Doubly so when we traded so so much to get him.

Griffin is a competitive guy. He wants to get out there and compete, and is very willing (often too willing) to risk injury to do so. That's it. We don't need to invent stories about his fear of the 4th round backup from Michigan State that had one good game.

EDIT: Cousins trade value has also gone down after he played poorly in relief against Denver (throwing two picks). I'm not saying nobody would be interested, but I'm sure he wouldn't be worth what he might have been worth last offseason.

I wonder who becomes the new (permanent) HC in Houston.

Kubiak was an offensive guy, and it seems normally teams try to go to the other side of the ball when looking for a new coach.

Does Wade get another shot?

Are you serious? Wade?

I have read some reports saying they want a big name.

Not a lot of meat to that article. Basically one NFL reporter suspects that Griffin rushed back to avoid letting Cousins play. That's it.

Griffin won rookie of the year. He had easily the best performance by a Redskins QB since Mark Rypien in '92. The idea that we would just abandon him for Cousins is flatly absurd, and Griffin would have to be a moron to think that. Doubly so when we traded so so much to get him.

Griffin is a competitive guy. He wants to get out there and compete, and is very willing (often too willing) to risk injury to do so. That's it. We don't need to invent stories about his fear of the 4th round backup from Michigan State that had one good game.

Agree to all points. That's why I have a real hard time believing it.

Are you serious? Wade?

I have read some reports saying they want a big name.

Who qualifies as a "big name" these days?

Is Gruden still interesting enough for teams to want him? Cowher? Or do we mean trying to flip someone else's coach?

I honestly don't know what NFL teams are looking for anymore.

Who qualifies as a "big name" these days?Is Gruden still interesting enough for teams to want him? Cowher? Or do we mean trying to flip someone else's coach?I honestly don't know what NFL teams are looking for anymore.

May be Dungy or Lovie Smith? Or somebody from the College. With the number 1 pick and some great pieces already on their roster, they may be able to entice pretty much anybody with the right offer.

ETA: DG, yes he counts in my book.

Last I heard the Texans were actually number one in defense in the AFC in yards allowed... so I don't know that going after a defensive minded coach would really be the right solution.

Last I heard the Texans were actually number one in defense in the AFC in yards allowed... so I don't know that going after a defensive minded coach would really be the right solution.

3rd after last night. They're 27th in points per game allowed though...

Zimmer deserves a shot at a HC.

3rd after last night. They're 27th in points per game allowed though...

Zimmer deserves a shot at a HC.

That speaks to a lot of short fields then. Turnovers from the offense or poor special teams play.

I really don't feel like defense is the Texans problem overall. They've had weapons on that offense and never truly were able to reach their potential.

That speaks to a lot of short fields then. Turnovers from the offense or poor special teams play.

I really don't feel like defense is the Texans problem overall. They've had weapons on that offense and never truly were able to reach their potential.

I agree, but I don't think bringing in a defensive coach necessarily means the offense can't get on track. It's about who is brought in to coach the offensive guys more than the HC.

I agree, but I don't think bringing in a defensive coach necessarily means the offense can't get on track. It's about who is brought in to coach the offensive guys more than the HC.

I hear Mack Brown may be looking for a job. :lol:

:lol:

I predict Houston brings in Lovie Smith, signs/trades for Cutler and draft Clowney.

If Houston has the #1 pick, they're taking Bridgewater. And if they (somehow) aren't, they're trading down so someone else can.

If Houston has the #1 pick, they're taking Bridgewater. And if they (somehow) aren't, they're trading down so someone else can.

I think they will take Bridgewater, my suggestion was tongue in cheek, could not work out the emoticon from my iPad :(

I think they will take Bridgewater, my suggestion was tongue in cheek, could not work out the emoticon from my iPad :(

Schaub isn't as bad as he's played this year (but likewise; he's never been as good as people thought he was a couple years ago) so it could be a unique situation where a number 1 QB really could sit if the team wanted to try it that way. I know that the recent success of Wilson and Luck has pretty much doused the flames of the last vestiges of the "apprentice QB" program.

Schaub isn't as bad as he's played this year (but likewise; he's never been as good as people thought he was a couple years ago) so it could be a unique situation where a number 1 QB really could sit if the team wanted to try it that way. I know that the recent success of Wilson and Luck has pretty much doused the flames of the last vestiges of the "apprentice QB" program.

Schaub is done in Houston. It's not only his play, he has lost the confidence/respect of his teammates.

Archived