NFL Thread 2013 Week 14 - Jaguars vs. Texans - The Teddy Bridgewater Bowl

Jaime L

If Houston has the #1 pick, they're taking Bridgewater. And if they (somehow) aren't, they're trading down so someone else can.

I hope they take Derek Carr. Though I love the idea of Clowney on one side and Watt on the other.

Carr, like the brother of David Carr? I think not. I also love the idea of seeing Clowney with Watt. Not going to happen.

That's why I hope they do take Derek Carr, cause he's the brother of David. Makes it brilliant. That being said, he's a legitimate QB prospect and will get massive hype after the Senior Bowl.

This seemed topical: Under Pressure today talks about why QBs get sacked.

Seattle is a bit higher than average on coverage sacks, but not so much that it's because of Wilson scrambling around; compare that to Pryor in Oakland for what a scrambling QB's profile looks like. Almost all of Indy's sacks are because the line failed, however, which points to the folks who were saying how bad Indy's line is; when Luck gets sacked it's almost always because someone done fucked up, and almost never because he held it too long.

Jacksonville has the most confused sacks. San Diego and Denver have none, which is interesting. Also interesting, as the article notes, is the superhuman play clock Manning has. 15 sacks and only one is a coverage. His line is being beaten at the same rate as Seattle's porous line and he is utterly collected about it. Phenomenal.

This is really interesting.

The first column is simply O-lines full of fail (i.e.: It sucks to be Ryan Tannehill right now). The second introduces some level of QB culpability (i.e.: not setting the protection correctly although not all QBs are trusted with that responsibility in the offense but that in itself is a reflection of the QB's limits) and the third column is entirely on the QB.

I think what stands out to me about are 3 things:

1) It clearly distinguishes Luck from all the other young QBs in terms of his advanced understanding of the offense and ability to sense pressure. To repeat Kal's point, if he's getting sacked, someone else fucked up.

2) There are times all scrambling QBs are going to misjudge the pursuit (or their own abilities) and even the most heady and elusive (i.e.: Wilson) are going to run into sacks far more than the veteran, statue QB prototype (i.e.: The Mannings, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Palmer) who never thinks he can escape but also has an adept sense of when things are breaking down around him. The third category is the non-mobile guy lacking pocket presence (i.e.: Mike Glennon, Joe Flacco) and the 4th category is simply Big Ben, a guy who takes coverage sacks not because he's really trying to escape but simply because he doesn't believe you weaklings will ever be strong enough to actually bring him down.

3) It brings out another less focused upon element of Manning v. Brady - It's clear Peyton is significantly more adept at setting his protection than Brady. Rivers too actually.

Mr. Kalbear, that was a cool link about the sacks.

I came to the realization this morning that I am a New England Patriots fan for the next 3 weeks. Peyton Manning is 9 TD passes away from tying the TD record, with four games remaining. If the Broncos lose a single game, and the Patriots win out, then Denver will be the #2 seed. So, I hope that the Patriots continue to put pressure on the Broncos to win games so that there is no starter sitting.

If Indy wins one more game, the AFC South is won and we can all look forward to watching Kansas City come to Indy and put Andrew Luck's corpse in a shallow grave.

I've more or less resigned this year to the Seahawks winning the Superbowl (please don't let it be the Panthers!), so the only thing I really care about is Peyton's legacy. Would that I could worry about the Colts draft moves, but... 2.8 :( That, and I'm fervently hoping the Ravens do not make the playoffs.

ETA:

So I was youtubing something and came across this Ron Burgandy interview of Peyton Manning... this is amazing! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgF7uWZMSdE

Get your lawyers ready! ESPN has a story coming out of DC that says that Mike Shanahan was ready to quit last year due to Daniel Snyder's preferential treatment of RGIII. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10101919/mike-shanahan-was-ready-quit-washington-redskins-2012-season

It's an "unnamed source" so you can take it with a grain of salt. But if true, it sheds some light on the dysfunction: security details for RGIII, personal driver for RGIII's fiancée, and Snyder ignoring other players in the locker room only to talk to RGIII. The source said that teammates definitely noticed. While a Washington spokesperson called the report ridiculous, Shanahan declined to comment.

Philly/Det is the most epic snowbowl, but KC/Was, Minn/Bal, Mia/Pitt are also pretty sweet snowbowls. Can't recall a week with so many snow games.

First week of FFL playoffs too.

Get your lawyers ready! ESPN has a story coming out of DC that says that Mike Shanahan was ready to quit last year due to Daniel Snyder's preferential treatment of RGIII. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10101919/mike-shanahan-was-ready-quit-washington-redskins-2012-season

There's probably some element of truth there but who the fuck are these unnamed sources and why are they coming out now? If the Skins were on a big winning streak instead of a big losing streak I doubt we hear any of this.

you know how cbs and these websites keep updating the design of their gamecenters?

how is their first priority anything other than making it so it says kickoff instead of 1st and 10 on the 35. and extra point attempt instead of first and goal on the two.

This is a problem that they cant solve?

Archived