Joe Abercrombie: SPOILER THREAD for all of the First Law books

MisterOJ

And I was really disappointed by his complete transformation in Red Country.

BSC's Cosca is my favorite character in the books.

Cosca sank very low in Red Country. He went from being a hilarious rogue to being a really nasty cruel man.

Maybe that's what he was always really like, at heart, or maybe he deteriorated. Cosca swindling, deceiving, cheating people was fun to read about. Cosca hanging, burning and torturing people wasn't.

Cosca sank very low in Red Country. He went from being a hilarious rogue to being a really nasty cruel man.

Maybe that's what he was always really like, at heart, or maybe he deteriorated. Cosca swindling, deceiving, cheating people was fun to read about. Cosca hanging, burning and torturing people wasn't.

All things considered, Red Country was bleak. It is the epitome of Grimdark. Even the slight bright spots (the romance between Shy and Temple) are irrevocably dimmed by despair. It's like Deadwood with decidedly more moral ambiguity.

And I loved every sentence.

All things considered, Red Country was bleak. It is the epitome of Grimdark. Even the slight bright spots (the romance between Shy and Temple) are irrevocably dimmed by despair. It's like Deadwood with decidedly more moral ambiguity.

If that's the part you love about Abercrombie, you really need to read the Broken Empire series.

Interesting. To me, Red Country felt lighter than Abercrombie's other books. There was less cynicism (although still a good deal of it) and the resolution of Shy and Temple's relationship was way happier than I'd expected it to be. And even at his bleakest, there's so much to enjoy in the prose that it's still entertaining. I'll grant that Cosca and the mercenaries were indeed pretty bleak though.

Archived