Joe Abercrombie: SPOILER THREAD for all of the First Law books

MisterOJ

Bayaz is the absolute epitome of lawful evil, surely. He creates hierarchy and order as long as it serves his purposes, demands obedience and crushes those who resist by any means necessary. He accepts no moral law beyond that which he imposes. 'Power makes all things right. That is my first law, and my last.'

Is it really lawful evil if you disregard the laws and the hierarchy you impose? If you see yourself as above and beyond the principle of order, you don't really believe in the value of order, just your own selfish aims, i.e. neutral evil.

I feel a bit weird disagreeing with an author about one of his own characters.

But can it really be Lawful Evil when he sets the laws? That sort of seems to defeat the point.

And a megalomaniac obsession with power, control, and obedience seem to me to be the natural criteria for the plain old evil camp. I don't see how those traits fit specifically into the "Lawful" part of lawful evil.

Well, Bayaz certainly seems to have a belief in law. But then again, he's just as happy to use chaos as a tool, if it suits his aims. So yeah, Neutral Evil.

The D&D alignment system is more than subtle enough to simply categorise the vast majority of real people, but my characters are so deep and multi-faceted they defy easy placement into one of nine simple boxes.

That's just your Chaotic Neutral hatred of systems talking.

Where's Khalul fit? He's gone too far in the pursuit of vengeance, but he's also a Prophet. There's all sorts of laws involved in religion. Does that make him lawful evil? Aside from the fact he broke the Second Law. The Eaters seem to actually like him, but I'm not sure whether that's brain-washing or whether Khalul is actually a nice guy who uses horrible methods (which might make him sort of neutral?)

Like most evil people, he's great when he's on your side and your goals align with his...

What would you do, if you were in his position? If you lived this seemingly endless life and watched mankind fighting the same wars over and over again, wouldn't you want to try to change things and take things into your own hand?

I don't see how murdering his girlfriend, her father, and his teacher fit into that sort of justification for Bayaz' actions.

Pfff, details! And wasn't like that really long ago? You can't blame him forever for his youthful indiscretion. People can change, why else put murders into prison?

Bayaz is the absolute epitome of lawful evil, surely. He creates hierarchy and order as long as it serves his purposes, demands obedience and crushes those who resist by any means necessary. He accepts no moral law beyond that which he imposes. 'Power makes all things right. That is my first law, and my last.'

A new definition of "the first law" ?

THEN FUCK YOU GUYS! I AM THE LAST AUTHORITY HERE AND YOU WILL AGREE WITH ME OR YOU WILL BE DESTROYED!

Fine. Neutral Evil.

:rofl:

What would you do, if you were in his position? If you lived this seemingly endless life and watched mankind fighting the same wars over and over again, wouldn't you want to try to change things and take things into your own hand?

Wouldn't mankinds wars, be mostly proxy wars between all of the remaining students.

OK, I'm convinced. Bayaz is Neutral Good. He wants what's best for everyone and only he's qualified to say what that looks like. Tough choices have to be made, some of the ants have to be squished, but basically he's after the greater good, and wants to protect the little children from their own stupidity.

You want lawful evil? Gandalf, ladies and gentlemen. A fascistic reactionary hell bent on genocide and utterly convinced of the rightness of his cause.

Archived