What lines from the books would you use in a trailer (BOOK SPOILERS)

Ser Loudmouth

Since the season 4 trailer is still nowere to be seen, we can still speculate. So I was thinking: if you had to rely on quotes from the book to make a trailer, which ones would you use? (In particular quotes from the end of Book 3, as this will be the main focus of the season).

Me, I would like to hear that "madness and greatness are two sides of the same coin", - because it foreshadows Mereen being something of a crossroads in Dany's character development -

and Tyrion saying that "I have been on trial for being a dwarf all my life" - because it announces to the audience that Tyrion will again get into some trouble (for being a dwarf) but does not give away many details.

allso perhaps 'the wall is yours"

I'm bad at that since I don't remember the quotes most of the time.

I could see an Oberyn talk of revenge for the teaser since teasers features often the new characters (Stannis for S2, Selyse for S3) with badass talk.

Either

"You raped her, you murdered her, you kill her children"

or "- Are you going to fight that thing ?

- I'm going to kill that thing !"

For the trailers part, I don't know what quotes but the royal wedding should be a lot present with it.

I still search with taglines or imagery can have this season (like the official poster).

Why haven't they start the marketing ?

“I crossed a thousand leagues to come to you, and lost the best part of me along the way. Don't tell me to leave.”

"If you die before you say her name, ser, I will hunt you through all seven hells."

“The truth is all around you, plain to behold. The night is dark and full of terrors, the day bright and beautiful and full of hope. One is black, the other white. There is ice and there is fire. Hate and love. Bitter and sweet. Male and female. Pain and pleasure. Winter and summer. Evil and good. Death and life. Everywhere, opposites.”

Paraphrasing, since I don't have my books with me, but I think the first trailer should open with a version of one of Tyrion's thoughts from his second chapter after the Red Wedding: The Stark words proclaim that "winter is coming", and it certainly came for them with a vengeance, but for the Lannisters it is high summer. So why do I feel so cold?

I seriously doubt we will see this on the show, but one of my favorite lines is "You remember where the heart is?" as the Hound is "dying." I think that has meaning for both him and for Arya, something big running through of their stories is love, his for Sansa, hers for her family. The gift of mercy ritual and how that underscores this was done nicely in the books, I thought. Ties back to GRRM's take on Faulkner's "the human heart in conflict with itself."

I seriously doubt we will see this on the show, but one of my favorite lines is "You remember where the heart is?" as the Hound is "dying." I think that has meaning for both him and for Arya, something big running through of their stories is love, his for Sansa, hers for her family. The gift of mercy ritual and how that underscores this was done nicely in the books, I thought. Ties back to GRRM's take on Faulkner's "the human heart in conflict with itself."

I'd love to hear that line in the shown, but I don't think it will work for a trailer (which is what OP is asking)

Considering they like to use new characters for previous season I think something from the Red Viper or Bloodraven will work. "You raped her, you murdered her, you kill her children" "Never fear the darkness.Darkness will make you strong."

Or since they also like to use the raven, they can have a montage of the three-eyed raven and Bloodraven's voice "I have watched you for a long time, watched you with a thousand eyes and one"

Paraphrasing, since I don't have my books with me, but I think the first trailer should open with a version of one of Tyrion's thoughts from his second chapter after the Red Wedding: The Stark words proclaim that "winter is coming", and it certainly came for them with a vengeance, but for the Lannisters it is high summer. So why do I feel so cold?

I can't think of any place in the show where this line could be spoken. But it would indeed fit in the first teaser, because the first teaser usually contains a line not spoken in the show.

I can allready see the teaser: Tyrion speaks his line, and then we see the tagline. Something like: "Winter is coming (for everyone)" :cool4:

I'd love to hear that line in the shown, but I don't think it will work for a trailer (which is what OP is asking)

I think it would make a nice line for a trailer. They have to reel viewers back after the Red Wedding. That was a big shock. Things seem rather hopeless.

What I keep hearing is, why should I care about these characters, they're just going to die. What do the characters care about, that's going to make them care.

I think it would make a nice line for a trailer.

I like your line too, and think it might work in a trailer. Of course, it would need to have the right placement. Usually in trailers, lines are not shown in their context, but juxtaposed with some other images, to create foreshadowing (like last season's image of Jaime and "put a sword in his hand").

Maybe "Do you remember where the heart is" could be juxtaposed with some images of Jon, or Ygritte, drawing his bow, preparing for battle.

“I crossed a thousand leagues to come to you, and lost the best part of me along the way. Don't tell me to leave.”

"If you die before you say her name, ser, I will hunt you through all seven hells."

The truth is all around you, plain to behold. The night is dark and full of terrors, the day bright and beautiful and full of hope. One is black, the other white. There is ice and there is fire. Hate and love. Bitter and sweet. Male and female. Pain and pleasure. Winter and summer. Evil and good. Death and life. Everywhere, opposites.”

I think it will be perfect for the teaser (a season 2 style teaser with images, not a black screen as the season 3).

Characters/places that we can see for each part.

Ice and Fire : Bran beyond the Wall and Meereen (dragons)

Hate and love: Cersei and Jaime, Shae/Tyrion

Bitter and sweet : Maergery and Joffrey

Male and Female : Jon and Ygritte or Daario and Dany

Winter and Summer : Wall and Meereen again ? Or Dorne but I suppose we won't see it this year so maybe Oberyn

Evil and good : I don't really know: Tyrion because he's seen as good (according to us) and as evil by Cersei (and Jaime, Tywin in a lesser degree) ? Bolton or Frey can go for the evil part and Arya or Bran for the good (as Stark is opposite to Boltons)

Death and Life : Lady Stoneheart will be perfect but she won't be in trailers certainly

I like your line too, and think it might work in a trailer. Of course, it would need to have the right placement. Usually in trailers, lines are not shown in their context, but juxtaposed with some other images, to create foreshadowing (like last season's image of Jaime and "put a sword in his hand").

Maybe "Do you remember where the heart is" could be juxtaposed with some images of Jon, or Ygritte, drawing his bow, preparing for battle.

Cool, thank you. :) I was just thinking something a little softer. Was anyone happy when the season ended? Just Dany that I can remember, but the crowd surfing thing didn't go over too well.

So far in the first 3 seasons, the first trailer is usually the reveal of the start date of the show, with a voiceover that we do not see, only hear.

I'd bet every amount of money I own the voice over is "You raped her, you murdered her, you killed her children" as the start date of season 4 is revealed.

It's one of the more important things coming this season, and is likely to be chilling enough to peak the non readers attention, as to what the hell that was and is all about. Also sets the tone, for once more, brutality.

It all goes back and back, Tyrion thought, to our mothers and fathers and theirs before them. We are puppets dancing on the strings of those who came before us, and one day our own children will take up our strings and dance in our steads.

ties in with Oberyn and the backstory

“You're awful.”

"I'm honest. It's the world that's awful.”

give the Hound a good send-off

I saved you all. I saved this vile city and all your worthless lives.

and an insight into Tyrion's mind and a clue as to what lies ahead for him

This is Stannis Baratheon. The man will fight to the bitter end and then some.

aw yeah

... a king who still cared

Bamfatheon

They are not going to go with a rape and murder promo after the Red Wedding...

Something with Bloodraven would be good... lure viewers back with magic.

Bloodraven would be best. Maybe not a specific book line but something along the lines of "I have been watching you for a very long time indeed. I have been watching everyone - with a thousand eyes and one."

Bloodraven would be best. Maybe not a specific book line but something along the lines of "I have been watching you for a very long time indeed. I have been watching everyone - with a thousand eyes and one."

Well, "I have watched you for a long time, watched you with a thousand eyes and one" is straight from the books, and I think it could work, because it's short, it will caught unsullied's attention and will give book readers something unexpected to look for (not everyone join forums like this, so a lot of people will be blown away by having Bloodraven so soon)

Archived