Cache found at the Fist of First Men by Ghost - who left it? Any ideas?

Lady Winter Rose

I agree that Ghost could have been led there by Bloodraven and perhaps he had Coldhands leave the items for the Night's Watch to find.

We know the Children of the Forest used to give these items to the Night's Watch each year at one point in history, and as Bloodraven is currently with a bunch of CotF, it makes sense that the obsidian came from them.

I'm going with Coldhands, since if it had been Benjen, he would have had to be somewhere close by, and I'd need to lose sleep over thinking why a First Ranger would a.) not find 300 brothers on the biggest frigging ranging they had done in ages or b.) decide to stay off the radar

I don't know why but I was under the impression it was there for a long long time. I thought it was left there by a random night watch brother centuries ago when CotF use to give them the weapons.

Behind a fallen tree, he came on Ghost again. The direwolf was

digging furiously, kicking up dirt.

“What have you found?” Jon lowered the torch, revealing a rounded mound of soft earth. A

grave, he thought. But whose?

He knelt, jammed the torch into the ground beside him. The soil was loose, sandy. Jon pulled it

out by the fistful. There were no stones, no roots. Whatever was here had been put here recently.

To me that sounds like a fresh grave, as to the OP I personally think it was either Ben, CH, or Both. :cool4:

Coldhands is kind of a Wight I think so touching the dragonglass would have hurt him, so I don t believe it was him...the NW clothes, the grave rather fresh...my bet is on Benjen there

dragonglass is NOT effective against Wight's, only against the others. And the stuff is wrapped in a cloak, so that should really not be a problem.

I think it was CH and I don't think this was a grave. A grave usually requires a body, but Jon only found the dragonglass wrapped in a cloak.

dragonglass is NOT effective against Wight's, only against the others. And the stuff is wrapped in a cloak, so that should really not be a problem.

I think it was CH and I don't think this was a grave. A grave usually requires a body, but Jon only found the dragonglass wrapped in a cloak.

Sorry about the word "grave"...you are right of course..it has to be "cache" not "grave"

As to the wrapping...whoever hid the dragonglass there must have wrapped it in the cloak before and got in contact with it....

Sorry about the word "grave"...you are right of course..it has to be "cache" not "grave"

As to the wrapping...whoever hid the dragonglass there must have wrapped it in the cloak before and got in contact with it....

That part is also covered in that post you responded to. Dragonglass is no use against wights, only against Others.

It was Coldhands. When they first came to the Fist, there was a cold smell in the air which Dywen caught. This points that there was a wight/Others presence there. But their attack came much later. Coldhands was sent by Bloodraven to arm the NW with dragonglass so that the Others could not attack along with the wights but stay back send the zombies forth. I think the Others are very few in numbers and do not risk themselves against dragonglass weapons. The only time they did this mistake was against Sam, whom Mr. Puddle considered craven but paid that mistake dearly.

Benjen was not there. If he was there, he could take the weapons by himself and join his brothers in the coming fight, telling them the real danger and how to fight them.

Firstly, awesome user name ;)

Secondly, I believe that when Jon thought it was a grave, it was only because he saw that something was buried. So, I agree, it's not/never was a grave.

Let's take a look at the mentioned possibilities:

Benjen: why would he ever have buried it there? The only possible reasons are that 1) he thought the NW would find it (unlikely - how would he know they'd be there); 2) he meant for anyone to find it who would fight the Others, including Wildlings, or 3) he was coming back for it. This is much more likely. The buried cloak is not necessarily his (he left with other Rangers) or it was an extra.

Coldhands/BR: why ever would he have buried it at all? It is a stash meant for finding, whether by whomever buried it, or by someone else (NW, Wildlings, COtF, etc), so why not take it with him? I cannot support that it was CH because he never mentions anything to Bran et al, and never suggests going to retrieve said buried treasure. BR would surely know the NW were at the fist, and possibly had CH leave it there + warg Ghost, but why not leave it closer to the Wall for Rangers to find? Why then + there? (besides for dramatic storytelling)

COtF: why bury it when they could have made a special delivery via CH? If they used to give obsidian to the NW, of course they would do so now, when the need has arisen once more. But why bury it at the Fist? They would know the NW were there, I suppose, and rather than reveal themselves, could have meant for Ghost to find said package. But that's a little risky, non?

Wildlings: probably a no-go; they probably have lots of NW cloaks, and access to the Fist moreso than anyone else (what with living there) but why bury it?

So, I suppose, purely by elimination of possible motives, that it was Benjen. There is a lot of speculation that he used/is using the caves, and so either found the stash, or was given it by the COtF. Why would he leave it at the Fist then? To retrieve it and bring it back to the Wall, or because he was told the NW would find it there.

Sorry that was so long and rambling...

Archived