Sweet, sweet irony. Nom, Nom, Nom

Reek Da Villain

While in Harenhall, Arya regularly speaks to Elmar Frey, who talks to her about the Princess his grandfather arranged him to marry, that princess being Arya even though none of them realizes it.

After Robb marries Jayne, the engagement is called off, and Arya sees Elmar crying, they have a dispute which ends with Arya saying "I hope your princess dies."

Metaphorically, Elmar's princess (Arya) is already dead in the sense that her arc leads ever away from highborn status.

Stylistically it extends the complex irony of her death list/death wishes.

Thanks. For whatever reason I don't remember it :leaving:

The biggest self-proclaimed craven killed arguably the most terrifying entity in the known universe.

Dondarrion was initially ordered by the HotK to kill the Mountain (or capture I cant remember) for looting and ravaging the riverlands but ends up being hunted (and killed) by the Mountain (on orders of the HotK) for looting and ravaging the riverlands.

Well let's review the definition...

2. a situation that is strange or funny because things happen in a way that seems to be the opposite of what you expected

Thats not cosmic irony. Or non-cosmic irony. If you read it somewhere it was a shit somewhere. There are one or two points in this thread that have a faint claim to be cosmic irony and that's all.

Thats not cosmic irony. Or non-cosmic irony. If you read it somewhere it was a shit somewhere. There are one or two points in this thread that have a faint claim to be cosmic irony and that's all.

You're the one that brought up "cosmic" irony... 2 weeks after my post.

My post is a standard definition of irony found in most dictionaries (online or paper).

Cersei plots to have Jaime become a Kingsguard so that they will always be close when she marries Rhaegar; as this marriage doesn't happen, but Jaime is still moved to Kings Landing with Aerys, the result is Jaime and Cersei being separated

Jaime is the only Kingsguard that Aerys keeps by him personally by the end of the war, because he thinks it will keep Tywin in check (and thus keep Aerys alive); Jaime kills Aerys while the other six Kingsguard despise him for it

Robb's honor paradox once he slept with Jeyne; if he marries her, he dishonors himself by breaking his vow to Walder Frey, but if it maintains his vow to Walder Frey, he feels dishonorable to Jeyne

Brienne is a woman who lives her entire life trying to be an honorable manly man, only to ultimately end up as a lovesick little girl

Jon in ADWD

“Pyp should learn to hold his tongue. I have heard the same from others. King’s blood, to wake a dragon. Where Melisandre thinks to find a sleeping dragon, no one is quite sure. It’s nonsense. Mance’s blood is no more royal than mine own. He has never worn a crown nor sat a throne. He’s a brigand, nothing more. There’s no power in brigand’s blood.”The raven looked up from the floor. “Blood,” it screamed.

Even Mormont's raven can't stand the irony.

Gared wasn't decapitated for lying, he was decapitated for desertion. Ned's situation is almost the exact opposite; he stayed in King's Landing until the bitter end attempting to do his duty to the King.

The irony is that one was executed for deserting and the other for remaining to do his duty. Makes no difference, you'll get it in the neck either way.

Jaime is the only Kingsguard that Aerys keeps by him personally by the end of the war, because he thinks it will keep Tywin in check (and thus keep Aerys alive); Jaime kills Aerys while the other six Kingsguard despise him for it

I'm not sure that the other KG despise Jaime. They may have to give that impression publicly but still realize that Aerys was a political cancer and that Westeros was well rid of him.

I'm not sure that the other KG despise Jaime. They may have to give that impression publicly but still realize that Aerys was a political cancer and that Westeros was well rid of him.

There was that line in the TOJ scene wher Hightower states Jaime would burn in 7 hells or something if they were there.

I don't think he would say that if its just to keep a public impersion.

the KG stood around with their thumb up their collective butt while Aerys committed atrocities. What's a little copout line condemning the guy who took action against a mad tyrant to justify inaction on one's own part? IMO Jaime had it right when he says that he is reviled for the best thing he ever did.

Wasn't the TOJ scene a dream Ned had while in the Black Cells? I forget. Dreams aren't notably reliable, though.

Brienne is a woman who lives her entire life trying to be an honorable manly man, only to ultimately end up as a lovesick little girl

Not fair or accurate.

Brienne has lived her entire life trying to be an honorable knight. She’s achieved that in a very meaningful way. She saved a woman and many small children from being raped and murdered. She slew one of the greatest villains of her time (Rorge) and some rats (Pyg, Timeon, and Shagwell). And all with the added bonus that she has not been spilling innocent blood or aiding and abetting tyrants. That puts her ahead of pretty much every other knight. She never wanted to be a “manly man”.

On a romantic front, she moved on after Renly died. She has spent zero time contemplating her feelings for Jaime. She chose Pod over Jaime. What exactly makes her a love sick little girl? The mere fact that she has romantic feelings for a man? Feelings she has never acknowledged or acted on.

• 2 weeks later...

If Lord Janos can be believed, he is trying to make common cause with the wildlings, warned Grand Maester Pycelle.

Savages in skins, declared Lord Merryweather. Lord Stannis must be desperate indeed, to seek such allies.

Hmmm, who else could be that desperate? The IT, that's who. They also made an alliance with savages in skins. The Boltons.

Archived