Sweet, sweet irony. Nom, Nom, Nom

Reek Da Villain

Joff was nevertheless the right heir, as long as his true parentage could be proven. And with no dna test. But i always been puzzled to see how much people never find strange Robert so called children were all green eyed blond haired.

Doesnt need to be a scientist to realise it's almost impossible.

But yeah Stannis had reasons Joff claim to the throne to be invalid, as Tyrion stated in a ACOK, even if he stated this ironically cause he knew his sibling "secret".

So... Ned chopping off the head of a guy who was seen to have betrayed his oaths (deserting) and this leading in a roundabout way to his going to KL (if he had believed in the Others he wouldn't have gone) and having his own head chopped off for betrayal (treason) is to me an example of irony

I agree absolutely; delicious irony.

Everybody knows the punishment for deserting the Night's Watch is death. The deserter claimed he was running from something really scary, which makes him either crazy or deserting the Night's Watch when it was soon to face a crisis.

Ned thought he WAS crazy, in his own words...which sounds like an extenuating circumstance (as when you say, "either crazy, OR deserting the Night's Watch)...so Ned executed someone he thought might be a madman. Harsh.

Would he? Jon argued for Mance's life because his knowledge made him useful to the Night's Watches true purpose. Is it conceivable that Gared's -unique as far as Ned knew- first hand knowledge of the Others would accord him the same protection?

----

Possibly, but he'd be forced to return to the Night's Watch.

I absolutely DO think that Mormont would have wanted Gared alive to question him. First of all, Mormont was shocked that Gared had deserted after many years of good and faithful service, and he surely would have wanted to know what was the dreadful thing that made him do it, even if he decided to execute him afterwards.

Secondly - and more importantly, in terms of irony - Gared was the only one who knew where Waymar Royce's body might be found. That important knowledge died with him when Ned killed him. Because the NW didn't have that knowledge, they had to send search parties of rangers far out looking for him. And WHO was in that party of rangers, who ended up disappearing himself? Benjen, Ned's own brother, who lacked important information due to Ned's too-zealous devotion to his duty.

Seems to me this might be an ironic foreshadowing of how Ned's too-literal sense of duty screws up his family....

As Warden of the North Ned' duty was to make sure that the "King's justice was done..." (GoT). The law mandated that a deserter should die and following on the steps of the First Men belief that "the man that passes the sentence should swing the sword" Ned did what he had to do. I don't see why Ned should be judged in this particular case.

I agree, but remember there are always one or two people with the need to show the rest of the us how much smarter than us they are.

And one or two who get so upset when someone points out what actually fits the topic that they make passive-aggressive comments about other people. <- That sentence is ironic.

As Warden of the North Ned' duty was to make sure that the "King's justice was done..." (GoT). The law mandated that a deserter should die and following on the steps of the First Men belief that "the man that passes the sentence should swing the sword" Ned did what he had to do. I don't see why Ned should be judged in this particular case.

I would put it as ironic thusly: "I executed the deserter to uphold order in my realm,but I actually aided the forces of chaos in doing so."

I would put it as ironic thusly: "I executed the deserter to uphold order in my realm,but I actually aided the forces of chaos in doing so."

Executing Gared hardly aided the forces of chaos at all.

And one or two who get so upset when someone points out what actually fits the topic that they make passive-aggressive comments about other people. <- That sentence is ironic.

I know the definition of ironic. Do you? Irony is doing something with intended consequences only to have them turn out in reverse. Hence my first post. Cersei ignoring Ned's advice to run and save her children which she ignores, plots and plans to gain power with the intention of saving them only to lose them anyway. Irony. If you don't believe me look it up.

And BTW, your ears must have been burning, nobody pointed YOU out specifically. That is what makes your sentence ironic. In a bid to show us up you only served to point out the fact that YOU were who we were probably talking about. Irony.

Hahahahaha touched a nerve did I? I even put the fact my reply was in itself ironic, and you still cried. Hahaha you're wrong, and angry. Get over it.

Saying you're correct doesn't actually make you correct, you realize that right. And how is proving my point crying? Crying is posting something off topic just to "Win" which is clearly what you're doing. If you need to hear it, fine, you're the winner. Hip hip hooray!

Saying you're correct doesn't actually make you correct, you realize that right. And how is proving my point crying? Crying is posting something off topic just to "Win" which is clearly what you're doing. If you need to hear it, fine, you're the winner. Hip hip hooray!

Hip hip hoo idgaf!

Let's stay on topic, lest the moderators get involved. Nobody needs that. Being clever is only cool when Mom and Dad DON'T ground you.

And another point of irony is Cat freeing Jamie in an attempt to save Arya and Sansa only to have it cost her Robb in the long term.

Well I was on your side in that argument. But now... just kidding

I wonder would the Red Wedding 2.0 (if it happens) be considered ironic.

Gared had pretty good reason to betray his oath IMO. Ned should've listened, not just chopped.

Not really. If Sam the self confessed craven Steward managed to keep it together (and Sam saw waaaay more shit than Gared), the seasoned Ranger has little excuse.

And Ned did listen, it's just that Gared had nothing actionable to share.

I feel we don't know enough about Gared to be making these judgements on him. Maybe he tried really hard to do the right thing, maybe he had quite logical arguments to Ned, who knows. Give the guy a break he saw some zombies.

I feel we don't know enough about Gared to be making these judgements on him. Maybe he tried really hard to do the right thing, maybe he had quite logical arguments to Ned, who knows. Give the guy a break he saw some zombies.

Except doing the right thing (returning to the Wall) would have been easier than doing the wrong thing (slipping South of the Wall undetected).

And as I said, if Sam managed to do his duty, after seeing hundreds more zombies than Gared (and being attacked by them) as well as seeing an Other, why couldn't the seasoned Ranger cope?

Or, you know, defining irony.

The Ned example just isn't ironic. Kienn points it out pretty well on the last page.

Bringing a thread down with a 'Well it's not strictly irony by the dictionary definition' is as much a downer as pointing out spelling mistakes. Just let me enjoy my Ned irony moment I don't even care if it's kosher.

Archived