Sweet, sweet irony. Nom, Nom, Nom

Reek Da Villain

Would he? Jon argued for Mance's life because his knowledge made him useful to the Night's Watches true purpose. Is it conceivable that Gared's -unique as far as Ned knew- first hand knowledge of the Others would accord him the same protection?

Mance was actually highly knowledgeable and thus had a wealth of information that he could give the NW and realm, while Gared was a rambling nobody who all he knew was that he saw some Others. Simply, Gared hardly had all that much useful information needed to spare his life.

What crime?

Ned didn't commit treason.

Technically he did. He went into the throne room, told the king that he didn't deserve to sit on the throne and threatened to have him and his mother, the queen regent, arrested. That's treason.

Gared and Ned's deaths aren't ironic. Ironic would be if it turned out Gared and Janos were related, and Gareds death being the reason Janos betrays Ned (and thus beheaded). Ned executing the guy with Ice, and then getting executed with Ice, isn't ironic. It's a coincidence that there just so happened to be a man who needed execution at the start of the story. Realistically, there's about 3 posts so far which actually have ironic events. The rest are just "huh, slight connection, I'll call it ironic!".

Those 3 being:

Arya and the dead princess

Jaime preferring death to being crippled (losing the hand that pushed Bran isn't ironic, and this is a very loose ironic instance anyway)

Jon not being allowed to fight Joffrey

Gared and Ned's deaths aren't ironic. Ironic would be if it turned out Gared and Janos were related, and Gareds death being the reason Janos betrays Ned (and thus beheaded). Ned executing the guy with Ice, and then getting executed with Ice, isn't ironic. It's a coincidence that there just so happened to be a man who needed execution at the start of the story. Realistically, there's about 3 posts so far which actually have ironic events. The rest are just "huh, slight connection, I'll call it ironic!".

Those 3 being:

Arya and the dead princess

Jaime preferring death to being crippled (losing the hand that pushed Bran isn't ironic, and this is a very loose ironic instance anyway)

Jon not being allowed to fight Joffrey

Ned executed Gared because Gared abandoned his sworn duty, Ned was executed because he would not abandon his, with the same sword. Only Gared told the truth in the end and Ned told a lie. That seems fairly ironic.

Jorah the slave works for me.

Coincidence. Had Jorah been made a slave by one of those he was trying to sell into slavery? That's irony.

Ned executed Gared because Gared abandoned his sworn duty, Ned was executed because he would not abandon his, with the same sword. Only Gared told the truth in the end and Ned told a lie. That seems fairly ironic.

That's not irony. Not that I'm gonna spend anymore time making that clear, the thread still serves a purpose I suppose. It's still fun to see what people are posting anyway.

Have we damn agreed that Ned chopping off the guy's head was ironic or not?

I disagree.

The man of the NW didn't return to the NW to report the incident. Therefore he is undoubtedly guilty. On the other hand, I can't really hold Ned not wanting to turn his friend's last moments into hell against him. Also, he did not flee from his post. There is no irony.

Archived