Sweet, sweet irony. Nom, Nom, Nom

Reek Da Villain

i think that is hilarious

I'd think so, but I noted that Tyrion noticed he didn't much care. What shattered him was Daenerys marrying a Ghiscarri noble.

Ultimately it just served to keep up the hype of Jorah being a nobleman "never at a loss", with a near-terminal case of Chivalry. And then he starts casually expounding on the dawning strategic picture and giving background exposition on the Second Sons while tattooed and half naked, and that clinched it.

If Lord Janos can be believed, he is trying to make common cause with the wildlings, warned Grand Maester Pycelle. Savages in skins, declared Lord Merryweather. Lord Stannis must be desperate indeed, to seek such allies. Hmmm, who else could be that desperate? The IT, that's who. They also made an alliance with savages in skins. The Boltons.

Add to that the Lannister coalition's use of the Mountain Clans to fight Stannis.

• 2 months later...

Stannis is insulted and pissed that he was given Dragonstone and not Storm's End. Yet, it's that island, and the fact that you need a fleet to assault it, that has allowed to him to stay alive and still be a player for the Throne.

Illyrio Mopatis wed Daenerys to Khal Drago and sent her off to die. Yet it was his wedding gift to her that has kept her alive and made her a threat.

We know that wasn't his intention though. His plan was for Aegon to join forces with Viserys IIRC.

Hey what about this one. Sansa wishing at the end of AGOT that a true hero would throw slynt down and chop his head off.

Jon fetch-blocking (bear with me, ok) Janos wasn't GRRM's original idea; the solution came to him after few possibilities. In this light, it can be argued that GRRM never planned for this, and therefore the scene isn't intentional and doesn't pertain to the foreshadowing business the forum members like so much. :)

...Unless GRRM was rereading Sansa's chapters and went - "oh! This could totally work." :)

• 3 months later...

Metaphorically, Elmar's princess (Arya) is already dead in the sense that her arc leads ever away from highborn status.

Stylistically it extends the complex irony of her death list/death wishes.

A stupid princess, she thought, that’s nothing to cry over. “My brothers might be dead,” she confided.

Elmar gave her a scornful look. “No one cares about a serving girl’s brothers.”

It was hard not to hit him when he said that. “I hope your princess dies” she said, and ran off before he could grab her.

Personally I don't think everything has to be a metaphor of the events that had happened or what's to happen in the series.

Arya was miffed of the thoughtless reply of Elmar Frey to her own worries for her brother so naturally she said those words about his princess to die.

Jon in ADWD

“Pyp should learn to hold his tongue. I have heard the same from others. King’s blood, to wake a dragon. Where Melisandre thinks to find a sleeping dragon, no one is quite sure. It’s nonsense. Mance’s blood is no more royal than mine own. He has never worn a crown nor sat a throne. He’s a brigand, nothing more. There’s no power in brigand’s blood.”The raven looked up from the floor. “Blood,” it screamed.

Even Mormont's raven can't stand the irony.

Even if we ignore R+L=J, he's still got King's Blood in his veins from both the old Kings of Winter as well as being the brother of Robb Stark, the last KitN.

"Arya is listening to a song of a princess who threw herself off a tower after her brother was killed and is unimpressed, thinking she should have tried to kill the man responsible. The princess is presumably Ashara Dayne, whose brother was killed by Eddard Stark, Arya's father."

• 1 month later...

Gared had pretty good reason to betray his oath IMO. Ned should've listened, not just chopped.

And even in the unlikely event that Ned still left Winterfell and gone off to be King's Hand while believing the North was first in line if the Others invaded, at the least he wouldn't have been concentrating on all that black of hair hoo-ha would he.

Ned had no reason to believe him, the Other's where a fairy tale to most Westerosi. It's like getting framed for a crime committed by a ghost and being found guilty. And having people say "That asshole judge! Finding him guilty when it was all a ghost!" Is the judge supposed to believe the guy who says "It was all a ghost your honour!"

Stannis snorted. “If you step in a nest of snakes, does it matter which one bites you first?”

“Lannister or Stark, what difference? Viserys used to call them the Usurper’s dogs. If a child is set upon by a pack of hounds, does it matter which one tears out his throat?”

Don't those two sound deliciously similar? B)

Archived