Formula 1 2014 Season

Corvo Attano

Yeah, Grosjean's face said it all (as did Maldonado's bouncing around the track, for once perhaps not his fault).

Love the sound of these turbo engines, but the cars all look horrible.

They mentioned on the US broadcast that if the engineers of the 80's knew about aerodynamics like they do today, The cars of the 80's would look just as horrible.

They mentioned on the US broadcast that if the engineers of the 80's knew about aerodynamics like they do today, The cars of the 80's would look just as horrible.

They went allout with carbonfibre as well (light and strong), until it became clear that too much carbonfibre meant that the driver was absorbing all the impact in case of a crash.

That Aussie crowd is fantastic, the cheer for Ricciardo followed by the groan as Hamilton goes faster.

Although they did cheer Vettel not making it but with Australians you know it's mostly in good humour (and not too vindictive). I wonder if it's a benefit of the quieter engine or was the crowd just that vocal?

It was great to see Ricciardo do so well - I have to admit he was going to be another underling of Vettel but there is a glimmer of hope here. I hope Daniel doesn't back off if Vettel is behind him and they've been told to go into fuel saving mode (I'm sure Webber will be reminding him).

It'll be good to see race pace in the dry as the cars don't seem as far apart from the qualifying,

I think that the most surprising thing is that a) it wasn't a Mercedes front-row lockout, and b ) the car that did manage to split them was a Red Bull.

Its good to see Magnussen in 4th as well - interestingly, Hamilton qualified 4th in Melbourne in 2007. Its also nice that Kobayashi not only made it into Q3, he beat one of the 'midfield' drivers.

It'll be good to see race pace in the dry as the cars don't seem as far apart from the qualifying,

Given the changeable conditions in the qualifying I think it's difficult to really tell yet how fast the various cars will be, although I think we can safely assume that Mercedes will be at the front. A damp track can help cover up some car problems and be a bit of a leveller so some cars might not be as close to the front as they've appeared so far.

After all the predictions of disaster for the Renault-powered cars they'll probably be relatively happy with three of the cars in the top 10, although it's surprising that Vettel is the RB/TR drivers to lose out, it's not often that he's been as outclassed by a team-mate as Ricciardo managed today even if I suspect normal service will be resumed shortly. Out of the other Renault teams Lotus look to have horrible problems while Caterham seem to have moved closer to the midfield, it's good to see Kobayashi doing well. One potential concern for the Renault teams in future races might be the poor weather meant overheating would be less likely (which did seem to be a concern in the Bahrain tests), we'll have to see if that's more of an issue once they get to Malaysia.

As well as Hamilton and Ricciardo I was also impressed with the debut performances from Magnussen and Kyvat (even if the latter did crash), McLaren do seem to think they've got someone special in Magnussen and he's certainly made a great start.

Archived