Formula 1 2014 Season

Corvo Attano

Dilemma: given that I have to get up at 8 the morning for fencing, should I set the alarm early enough to catch at least some of the race? It looks a good one...

I would go for it. I start work at 9 tomorrow and I'm definitely getting up :)

What are people's bets on the first casualty of the race? My money is on Ricciardo (which is a shame) or Maldonado.

What are people's bets on the first casualty of the race? My money is on Ricciardo (which is a shame) or Maldonado.

Given that Maldonado failed to complete a lap in qualifying I think he's probably a fairly safe bet. Even if his car starts there's always the significant possibility that he gets annoyed and drives into someone.

I dunno, but I'm hoping for Kobayashi to send a signal of intent by jumping Vettel at the start.

That would be great to see so hopefully you'll get your wish. I'm not sure how likely it is but it would be great if Kobayashi could be in contention for a points-scoring position, sadly I think that might be ambitious without lots of retirements.

I would go for it. I start work at 9 tomorrow and I'm definitely getting up :)

Maldonado... On the formation lap

Maldonado... On the formation lap

Grosjean might go with him.

I dunno, but I'm hoping for Kobayashi to send a signal of intent by jumping Vettel at the start.

That would be interesting. A Caterham passing the defending the World Champion when he's

actually running

That would be great to see so hopefully you'll get your wish. I'm not sure how likely it is but it would be great if Kobayashi could be in contention for a points-scoring position, sadly I think that might be ambitious without lots of retirements.

The first couple of races will be his best chance. The next two races after Australia are Malaysia and Bahrain. If teams are still having problems with their cooling units we could see both Caterham and Marussia score some points.

That would be interesting. A Caterham passing the defending the World Champion when he's actually running

The first couple of races will be his best chance. The next two races after Australia are Malaysia and Bahrain. If teams are still having problems with their cooling units we could see both Caterham and Marussia score some points.

I think it's fair to say that Kamui will go for an opportunity to pass if he sees one, he's not going to be intimidated by anyone's reputation.

Caterham do use the Renault engine so if there's widespread engine problems that might effect them as well. Marussia might have a best chance since the Ferrari engine seems more reliable.

Although they did cheer Vettel not making it but with Australians you know it's mostly in good humour (and not too vindictive). I wonder if it's a benefit of the quieter engine or was the crowd just that vocal?

Vettel is one of the most disliked sportsmen in Australia I doubt it was in good humour..

I think it's fair to say that Kamui will go for an opportunity to pass if he sees one, he's not going to be intimidated by anyone's reputation.

Caterham do use the Renault engine so if there's widespread engine problems that might effect them as well. Marussia might have a best chance since the Ferrari engine seems more reliable.

For what its worth. Caterham ran the most miles of any of the Renault teams in testing and yet they've been having problems this weekend.

Turns out Kobayashi wasn't paying attention to his braking and took out Massa. No mistakes by Maldonado so far.

Reliability issues for Hamilton and Vettel very early on.

ETA: flawless performance by Rosberg. The Mercedes, Williams and Ricciardo's Red Bull look really strong. Good performances by Ricciardo, Magnussen and Bottas. Odd that Vettel couldn't get anything from his car, while Ricciardo seemed to have no trouble. Hamilton must be bummed to have no points with Rosberg scoring the maximum.

And wonderful to see Williams doing well. A bit early perhaps, but both car and the Mercedes-engine look very strong.

Vettel is one of the most disliked sportsmen in Australia I doubt it was in good humour..

For some reason I forgot to connect the dots between Vettel, Webber and Australians :)

I'm sure Australia enjoyed the race on many levels.

I was impressed by Bottas - if he hadn't clipped the wall and lost a wheel he'd have been higher up at the end. I was impressed he worked his way back up to be honest. Same with Magnussen and Hulkenburg really should be in a top car (it's crazy how he's height holds him back).

The race was a little unexciting in terms of who was leading and I have to be honest that I'm a bit concerned Mercedes are going to be just as dominant as Red Bull were. The good thing is that I'm confident Red Bull will catch up.

I'm pleased the next race is at a more convenient time for me as I have to admit to dozing off a few times in the second half of the race this morning.

The race was a little unexciting in terms of who was leading and I have to be honest that I'm a bit concerned Mercedes are going to be just as dominant as Red Bull were. The good thing is that I'm confident Red Bull will catch up.

I think Red Bull will catch up, I think McLaren under Ron Dennis are looking very sharp, and I also think it unlikely that Ferrari won't improve, so with their two drivers they'll be thereabouts. Plus, all credit to Bottas but that Williams is fast, so I can see them taking Renault's place as the team that never looks like championship contenders but will always have a driver troubling the podium and maybe nicking a win or two over the season.

I'm looking forward to the season.

It was a good race with a couple of problems, while there was lots of action through the field Rosberg never faced a serious challenge for the lead. It's also disappointing that a great drive by Ricciardo lead to him being disqualified on a technicality, hopefully it'll get overturned on appeal because I think he deserved that second place.

As well as Ricciardo, I was very impressed by Magnussen he didn't do anything wrong all weekend, and a debut podium is a rare achievement. It'll be interesting to see how he compares to Button through the season, Button did end up close behind him at the end despite having to make up for his problems in qualifying so their pace seems comparable. Kyvat should also be very pleased with a point on debut. Bottas showed good pace despite his mistake, I think there's more to come from Williams since they didn't really fulfil the car's full potential this weekend. Vettel has to be disappointed with his DNF but must be encouraged that Red Bull seems to have decent pace if they can improve the reliability.

We got our wish, although I think there's a certain element of 'be careful what you wish for' in terms of how it turned out.

I think Red Bull will catch up, I think McLaren under Ron Dennis are looking very sharp, and I also think it unlikely that Ferrari won't improve, so with their two drivers they'll be thereabouts. Plus, all credit to Bottas but that Williams is fast, so I can see them taking Renault's place as the team that never looks like championship contenders but will always have a driver troubling the podium and maybe nicking a win or two over the season.

I'm looking forward to the season.

There's definitely enough drivers to keep the rest of the field interesting and Mercedes unreliability means nothing is for certain. You're right in that Mclaren, Red Bull and possibly Ferrari can still catch up. I think Williams won't get better but they are definitely fast.

Daniel Ricciardo has been excluded from the results of the Australian GP. FIA determined his fuel flow rate was too high. Red Bull have appealed the decision.

This was a shame. From what Red Bull are saying I'd be inclined to think they weren't cheating as such but the sensor screwed them over. Although it does make you wonder why it was only faulty for them. I'm a bit confused as to why there is a limit? Surely they'd use more fuel with that system or is it a power thing?

Kobayashi got a bit grumpy with people criticising his start. As the investigation confirmed, his brakes failed at the actual launch (seemed to be okay on the two formation laps though) and when he hit the brakes nothing happened and he slammed into the back of Massa. A shame, but it seemed to be a genuine technical failure.

The race was generally interesting, and refreshing to see so many new names and faces either in contention or much further up the grid than expected. I get the sense - again - that Alonso is not happy with these constant 4th/5th places and wants to start challenging for the front more comprehensively, but Ferrari have - yet again - let him down. The only good thing from his POV was Raikkonen being nowhere and finishing well off behind him. Button had a big grin on his face: I think he was worried about being completely shown up by his new team-mate but instead it was only a single place and Button arguably ran the better race by coming from way up down the field and finishing despite his pit crew knocking the front of his nose off. His tactical nous was also arguably better (especially that early pit stop).

Lotus seem to have massive problems, which is a shame given Grosjean's achievements last season.

Is it me, or is the abolition of the 'team principal' position at other teams making it harder for the media to find someone to talk to on the pit wall? The BBC had a brief word from Toto Wolff and Lauda but they then scurried off and that was the last we heard from Mercedes. For McLaren, Dennis made it clear he wasn't talking on behalf of the team, but Boullier also seemed reluctant to talk to anyone. It felt like Horner ended up with more interview time than normal due to that, and Claire Williams as well.

Christian Horner is always happy to talk to BBC/TV but I agree some of the other teams are becoming a bit nebulous or too "savvy" when doing interviews. The Ferrari guy, Domenicali, is usually fairly good too.

I wonder if Ferrari just have a bad technical team or is it that Alonso isn't as good at working with the team to develop a winning car? I think it was pretty clear that when Schumacher was there he told them how to make a car that he can drive. It doesn't seem to be the case with Alonso and he's been there for a while now. It is a shame we haven't seen Alonso in a top 2 car for a long time though.

I wonder if Ferrari just have a bad technical team or is it that Alonso isn't as good at working with the team to develop a winning car? I think it was pretty clear that when Schumacher was there he told them how to make a car that he can drive. It doesn't seem to be the case with Alonso and he's been there for a while now. It is a shame we haven't seen Alonso in a top 2 car for a long time though.

While Schumi was certainly a better engineer-driver than Alonso (which is a large part of why Mercedes ever brought him back - to help develop the car towards championship level), he did have the benefit of working with Ross Brawn for most of his career.

Archived