What next? Enough with grimdark!

Green Gogol

How old do you actually have to be for personal "better days" nostalgia nowadays? I was a kid in the 90s, when you could put sunscreen on people, and yet it is a stretch to pretend that was a bygone golden era. 80s? Don't think so. 70's? Doubt it. You basically have to go back to the 60s at least, right?

How old do you actually have to be for personal "better days" nostalgia nowadays? I was a kid in the 90s, when you could put sunscreen on people, and yet it is a stretch to pretend that was a bygone golden era. 80s? Don't think so. 70's? Doubt it. You basically have to go back to the 60s at least, right?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.

No point - I'm genuinely trying to map the temporal nostalgia landscape. I have a compulsive need to map things.

Oh, okay, I think nostalgia has to do with your status in life. If you've been married to the same wife for 50 years, with the same job for 50 years, I don't think there is much potential for nostalgia like "oh it was so much better 30 years ago."

But things that you can't have anymore would tend to bring nostalgia i'd say. Your childhood. Going to school. The old tv programs you watched when you were a kid. The music played on the radio, etc.

So I don't think it is a matter of time, but rather of accessibility.

I get nostalgic for things from my childhood and adolescence all the time (read: the 90's) so I don't think nostalgia has any bearing on how far removed you are from that era. Your perception may cloud more and more as time passes but nostalgia will always be there.

That said, the world WAS NOT better back then. Fill in 'back then' with whatever rosy-colored era you're gazing fondly back on. It was probably different but different is not necessarily better.

I get nostalgic for 90's stuff too...no, wait, I grew up in Israel in the 90's. I don't....well, maybe the peace process...nevermind...anyway, the point isn't whether there is or isn't some ideal past. This isn't about nostalgia, it's about change and conservatism. There is a difference in values between now and thirty or even ten years ago, and that's great. Yes, more ways of life - family structure, sexuality, gender roles - are at least somewhat more widely accepted. AWESOME. Those that don't like it can continue to whine about it on the internet while society slides away from under them.

Isn't the whole concept of a knight in shining armor coming to the rescue of a helpless maiden, who then falls hopelessly in love with him a bit contrary to feminism?

Only if it's always a man rescuing a women.

Well, when I was a kid, teachers were allowed to pat you on the shoulder. Now, it's forbidden, for fear of being sued for sexual abuse.

And my cousin who works with children 4 and 5 years old in the summer is forbidden to put sunscreen on them for the same reason. So you got kids of 4 years old that are asked to put their own sunscreen so they can go play under the sun. Imagine how well that work.

And just ask some teachers who have been doing their job for 30 years. 30 years ago, when a child misbehaved and the teacher met the parent, they would punish the child. Nowadays, in the same situation, the parents gets angry with the teacher.

It's not out of my beautiful memories of childhood with butterfly and unicorns mind you. It comes from most teachers I know.

Of course, it's forbidden now because people physically and sexually abused children back then using the more lenient rules that applied.

There never was a "family values era". There was a simply a different time with different problems. And higher crime rates.

Wait, what?

Ha. There is a widespread perception that Gardens of the Moon is the worst Malazan book. I don't agree, and prefer it to most of the latter half the series (even if they are technically better-written, GotM has a far more involving storyline and situation), but that POV is definitely out there.

Colour of Magic

Light Fantastic

Equal Rites

Feet of Clay

Feet of Clay is a random one to read (it's the sequel to Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms and builds on the characterisation in both), but yeah, the others are the first three books and aren't Pratchett anywhere near his best.

Ha. There is a widespread perception that Gardens of the Moon is the worst Malazan book. I don't agree, and prefer it to most of the latter half the series (even if they are technically better-written, GotM has a far more involving storyline and situation), but that POV is definitely out there.

Feet of Clay is a random one to read (it's the sequel to Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms and builds on the characterisation in both), but yeah, the others are the first three books and aren't Pratchett anywhere near his best.

well then, I'll have to try Guards! Guards!

By the way, I'm a third of the way through A Shadow in Summer and I'm loving it.

Shryke, I was just jesting, with the knight in shining armor thing...

I'm still interested in Malazan. Please, tell me more. What is it like, is it worth to read till the end. Does each book stand alone or it end in cliffhangers? Is it bleak? What's the atmosphere?

That's weird, I've almost never seen that. Most people (around here) say book 8, and indeed the latter half of the series are much worse.

It's just that Malazan is a 10 000 pages endeavour. So I don't want to get into and then be disappointed in the last few books. For me, even if the first 9 books are the best thing in the world, if the last book is bad, the series is not worth it. I guess I got my fingers burned with Wheel of Time, and Lost, and don't want to invest too much in a series again if the end is not worth it.

By the way, I gave up on Dance with Dragons. Book 1 was good, book 2 a bit less. Book 3 was great. 4 was horrible, and 5 was not much better. Gave up, went to read the summary of each chapters on the wiki, and was glad I stopped.

It's actually much more than 10,000 pages, and the number will continue to go up.

Edit: Unless you're only considering the Book of The Fallen and not the rest of the Malazan books.

I'd rather consider only the Book of the Fallen for the moment.

Archived