Game of Thrones Featurette Due February 9

Westeros

I love the show. The writing is amazing. It's just the purists that don't appreciate it. I am disappointed, but i can handle something getting cut or changed. The original scenes are always great. chaos is a ladder anyone?

All my friends who havent read the books think it is amazing also.

I can cite several original scenes or lines that were cringeworthy. A lot of Dany's season 2, especially "I didn't come here to argue grammar". Ugh, that took me right out of the scene, it's like something people may say when they're arguing online... and they were actually talking about the exact meaning of a word, so heck, they weren't even arguing about grammar, but about vocabulary! :D

Dany again: "All men must die, but we are not men". :rolleyes: So, she's found a secret of immortality? Unless she has, I'm pretty sure women must die, too! If they wanted to make a pun on "Valar", they should have made her say: "All men must serve, but we are not men." That would've made some sense.

Sansa's IQ dropping in season 3 and making her ask things such as if her family will attend the wedding. Stereotypically gay Loras. The Podrick scene, which was not just pointless, but absurd. Prostitutes have a job and need to make money, they wouldn't return the money just because they kinda liked a client, that's nonsense.

I can cite several original scenes or lines that were cringeworthy. A lot of Dany's season 2, especially "I didn't come here to argue grammar". Ugh, that took me right out of the scene, it's like something people may say when they're arguing online... and they were actually talking about the exact meaning of a word, so heck, they weren't even arguing about grammar, but about vocabulary! :D

Dany again: "All men must die, but we are not men". :rolleyes: So, she's found a secret of immortality? Unless she has, I'm pretty sure women must die, too! If they wanted to make a pun on "Valar", they should have made her say: "All men must serve, but we are not men." That would've made some sense.

Sansa's IQ dropping in season 3 and making her ask things such as if her family will attend the wedding. Stereotypically gay Loras. The Podrick scene, which was not just pointless, but absurd. Prostitutes have a job and need to make money, they wouldn't return the money just because they kinda liked a client, that's nonsense.

Basically this.

I have a few more things to add but will only include one.

I for one was quite disappointed with D&D not including that peach scene which is extremely important for Stannis's character.

GRRM agrees with me.

“The peach represents... Well... It’s pleasure. It’s… tasting the juices of life. Stannis is a very marshal man concerned with his duty, and with that peach Renly says: “Smell the roses”, because Stannis is always concerned with his duty and honor, in what he should be doing and he never really stops to taste the fruit. Renly wants him to taste the fruit but it’s lost. I wish that scene had been included in the TV series because for me that peach was important, but it wasn’t possible.”

Link to the interview: GRRM's interview

The peach would have taken 30 seconds tops and could've easily cut out nude scenes for it but nope.

Could it have been Annara Snow perhaps? It was one of the prominent-on-these-boards opinionated ladies.

Hey, I got mentioned as a prominent-on-these-board-opinionated-lady! :D Now I'm really curious what the post was about...

also to the people that say that there should be more dicks because there are so many boobs, please stop.

there arent many male nude scenes because very few people would enjoy that. people are disgusted by penises, but not by boobs.

Uh,,, not really. Who were the "people" that you polled on this particular question and who told you they were disgusted by penises? Think about that and try to remember their gender and sexual preference, that may reveal the main problem in your reasoning. :D

I think the bigger issue, as it concerns the male-to-female nudity ratio is that more female actors are willing to bare it all for the camera than male actors. I've brought this up before, but it's worth mentioning again. There's more ego involved as it concerns a penis than their is for a woman and her vagina (or even her breasts). And the entertainment industry, being cut-throat, very public, and highly scrutinized, doesn't lend itself to endearing many actors to doing so. Which is to say that men are more self-conscious about showing their goods, especially since showing an erect penis is forbidden on television.

They aren't going to pass on an actor (or force him to do something he isn't comfortable with) simply because he isn't willing to put his flaccid penis on-screen, because it's simply not that important. But the disparity could (and should) be addressed in scenes that take place in a brothel, etc. 'Set-dressing nudity', so to speak.

That said, the amount of male nudity on the show hasn't been as one-sided as is often claimed. On the male characters front, we've seen Robb, Khal Drogo, Jaime, Theon, Pycelle, Jon Snow (or, rather, his stunt double), Olyvar, Hodor, and the wine-seller in the buff; some of them more than once. There have also been several scenes with shirtless males (which, in my opinion, should be considered an equivalent to a woman baring her breasts, but whatever), such as the scene from the pilot with Robb, Theon, and Jon getting 'prettied up for the Queen'.

That has no basis, and it's quite wrong of you to say there's less to a woman or man appearing nude. I posted a link with a bunch of mainstream/prominent male actors going full frontal, I can post it again if you'd like. The best supporting male actor Emmy in 2013 went to a guy who went full frontal on Boardwalk Empire. The most popular actor (another guy) on True Blood went full frontal in the finale last season. Lots of examples.

And again, not only are you wrong about frequency on Game of Thrones, but also focus. That's what the male gaze is about.

The post was just him saying I don't like GRRM's sex scenes, and I was like, moi? I could not answer for you, but I thought I had made no secret of the fact that I like them.

Nope, it definitely wasn't me who said that! I think most of them, sexy or not, have a purpose in characterization. And some of the sex scenes are sexy, but not all of them have to be. Some are just awkward or uncomfortable or crude, but they fit the person whose POV they are in. For instance, Cersei/Taena was never supposed to be a sexy scene, so I don't understand why people criticize it. "Myrish swamp" sounds just like something Cersei would think.

I think the bigger issue, as it concerns the male-to-female nudity ratio is that more female actors are willing to bare it all for the camera than male actors. I've brought this up before, but it's worth mentioning again. There's more ego involved as it concerns a penis than their is for a woman and her vagina (or even her breasts). And the entertainment industry, being cut-throat, very public, and highly scrutinized, doesn't lend itself to endearing many actors to doing so. Which is to say that men are more self-conscious about showing their goods, especially since showing an erect penis is forbidden on television.

They aren't going to pass on an actor (or force him to do something he isn't comfortable with) simply because he isn't willing to put his flaccid penis on-screen, because it's simply not that important. But the disparity could (and should) be addressed in scenes that take place in a brothel, etc. 'Set-dressing nudity', so to speak.

That said, the amount of male nudity on the show hasn't been as one-sided as is often claimed. On the male characters front, we've seen Robb, Khal Drogo, Jaime, Theon, Pycelle, Jon Snow (or, rather, his stunt double), Olyvar, Hodor, and the wine-seller in the buff; some of them more than once. There have also been several scenes with shirtless males (which, in my opinion, should be considered an equivalent to a woman baring her breasts, but whatever), such as the scene from the pilot with Robb, Theon, and Jon getting 'prettied up for the Queen'.

Don't women have just as much reason to be self-conscious about appearing nude, considering the way that the public tends to scrutinize their looks and mock them if they fail to conform to certain standards of beauty? When there is male nudity on screen, you'll see many more overweight, flabby or otherwise "imperfect" men, than you'll get to see women with "imperfect" bodies. Men don't seem as self-conscious or scrutinized when it comes to the rest of their bodies, just their penises, apparently.

That has no basis, and it's quite wrong of you to say there's less to a woman or man appearing nude. I posted a link with a bunch of mainstream/prominent male actors going full frontal, I can post it again if you'd like. The best supporting male actor Emmy in 2013 went to a guy who went full frontal on Boardwalk Empire. The most popular actor (another guy) on True Blood went full frontal in the finale last season. Lots of examples.

And again, not only are you wrong about frequency on Game of Thrones, but also focus. That's what the male gaze is about.

You posted a link to a bunch of guys who felt comfortable going fully nude. Many of the main actors in Game of Thrones, apparently, do not feel comfortable doing so. Otherwise they likely would have. Pretty simple, and I fail to see what's "quite wrong" about it. In addition, I mentioned nothing about "frequency", so...

@ Annara Snow

"...just their penises, apparently." Pretty much.

Yeah I pretty much agree with all this :D

Google is your friend. Alfie Allen went full frontal on Game of Thrones. Nikolaj Coster Waldau has gone full frontal in movies (several, I can personally attest to that). The guy who played Jaqen, Tom Wlaschiha, has, too. (And yet... no Jaqen bathhouse scene, the disappointment among female - and even male fans - when that scene didn't happen went 'round the internet.) Also, Michiel Huisman, the new guy who plays Daario. And others... Richard Madden was mostly nude on Sirens.

I'm not sure what you're arguing here. If Madden, Nikolaj, or any of the other actors involved had been willing to flash their dicks for the camera, they would have. I'm not sure how you can say that isn't the case, when it's clear that HBO, D&D, and any number of the other people involved with the production clearly don't take issue with showing frontal male nudity.

As I already said, and as you already know; Game of Thrones is one of the biggest television shows in the world. Maybe they didn't want to put themselves out there on such a large-scale, as opposed to doing so in a much smaller-scale production. I'm not taking a position on whether or not that's 'right', simply because I understand that these are real people who probably aren't examining the situation from a "male gaze" perspective (or any other ideological perspective we could come up with).

When I was in film school, I shot a short that had both female and male nudity. If it hadn't just been myself and a few other people present, I would have totally understood reluctance on the part of either party to shoot the scene as I had framed it. For instance, if there had been a dozen other people around (as is almost assuredly the case with this show), or if there was a possibility that the short would get a large-scale recognition, the actors might have felt differently about it. Context and circumstance - they're important.

And again; I'm not arguing against there being more male nudity on the show. I don't really care, either way. Just as I, by and large, don't care about the females who choose (or don't) to go nude on the show. I'm not pushing an agenda here; just trying to utilize common sense. I would say the same for you, except your posting history belies that you have a very clear stance on this subject. Nothing wrong with that, and it's a stance I generally agree with, but I think you're taking the reasons behind these things to places that aren't justified.

Just because there are more females that appear nude on the show than males does not mean that the writers, the actors, the network executives, the directors, etc., are sexist and/or opposed to male nudity.

Also, I know how to use Google, but thanks.

You're making it sound like the showrunners went around to each of the actors and said, wanna do a nude scene or not, it's your choice. And all the women said, sure, I'd love to. And all the men (except a very few) said, I'd rather not. And that's the way it was.

That's not the way it is, and that's not the way it works.

Moved the quote to the next post...

You're making it sound like the showrunners went around to each of the actors and said, wanna do a nude scene or not, it's your choice. And all the women said, sure, I'd love to. And all the men (except a very few) said, I'd rather not. And that's the way it was.

That's not the way it is, and that's not the way it works.

And I never alluded to the idea that it was. That scenario you've posited is quite clearly your own. As I've mentioned time and again: context and circumstance. I've got a pretty firm grasp on how it works. In cases where nudity will be required for a role, that's written into the casting call. So the prostitutes at the brothels, Ramsay's girls, etc. - all of these actresses went into both the casting call and the shoot knowing they would be nude.

As it concerns the main cast, there are clauses that can be written which indicate whether or not the actor or actress is willing to go nude for the role. It's up to the discretion of said actor or actress to include that clause, and if they don't, then it becomes a matter of whether or not they're willing to do so once they receive the script indicating that nudity may be involved with the scene.

So my point is that no one is being forced to, nor being forced not to. It's up to them. And that includes the initial contract they sign. Again: Pretty simple. The larger point that you're continually trying to inject into the discussion is valid, but irrelevant to my posts.

No, you're wrong. I'm saying based on interviews, we know many of the men did not sign contracts any different than the women, and yet there's still this disparity.

Here's a woman spelling it out very clearly, this is how it is:

Does Tena think there is a disparity in the nudity ratio between men and women?

‘There’s that in everything in the world. I think it’s really unfair, every actor, any actress has had her tits out. Every single actress I know. Blokes it’s like, let’s see some cock. Do you know what I mean? Let’s make it more even.’

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2012/06/13/interview-with-game-of-thrones-star-natalia-tena/

Archived