Why would Harry the heir marry a bastard?

RK Rajagopal

Well you may be right that without family members to advise against it, (or the sure knowledge of how sick SR is) Harry might just be won over by 'Alayne's' charms. Still, the whole thing seems like a red herring to me. Even if it is LF's real plan, Sansa will never go along with it.

Do we know that much about dowries?

Alayne and Lord Cobray's wife(a merchant's daughter) had one

These two are particular cases because they aren't seen as very marriageable.

What about highborn girls? Do they have dowries?

I think some highborn girls have dowries, like if they don't have much to offer.

Fat Walda had one, her weight in silver because not only is she likely not very attractive, marrying her with all those spar male heirs laying around would never get her husband the twins.

Points to consider:

• Sansa's suitability to bed would be worth just that to HtH. He already has one bastard so, why not make another with the new hot base-born girl in town.
  • LF is Lord Protectorate only as long as Robert is alive and under age. His scheme to get HtH to marry Sansa only works for him if he can work his way into the deal. I haven't figured that one out, yet.
  • As far as the whole Realm is concerned, Sansa is the daughter of a traitor, sister to a failed rebel king and wife of a kin-slayer and king-slayer. KL will need a complete make-over in order for her to survive being revealed.

So, a new question could be, what if LF gets his daughter legitimized and then married. Winterfell goes away but, he would retain some standing in the Vale.

Points to consider:

• Sansa's suitability to bed would be worth just that to HtH. He already has one bastard so, why not make another with the new hot base-born girl in town.

LF is Lord Protectorate only as long as Robert is alive and under age. His scheme to get HtH to marry Sansa only works for him if he can work his way into the deal. I haven't figured that one out, yet.

As far as the whole Realm is concerned, Sansa is the daughter of a traitor, sister to a failed rebel king and wife of a kin-slayer and king-slayer. KL will need a complete make-over in order for her to survive being revealed.

So, a new question could be, what if LF gets his daughter legitimized and then married. Winterfell goes away but, he would retain some standing in the Vale.

Alayne Baelish will be heir of Harrenhal, and eventualy, Lady Paramount of the Riverlands, a suitable match for Harry (who is not an Arryn yet). And she also happens to come with a good dowry and be extremely hot, the boy will be a fool if he refuse.

Of course in the game of thrones nothing is as simple as it seems

Well LF claims, that the dowry is good enough to guarantee the match, but really that's another reason, I'm sceptical about the whole deal. I think LF maybe was trying to sell Sansa a story he thought she would like to hear, when in fact he plans on marrying her himself. After all, it's not just the Vale, but noble houses in the Reach, and Stormlands who would be aching to marry their daughters to Harry-and could offer enormous dowries as well. Hell, there are some unmarried Tyrrell girls out there.

This

Alayne Baelish will be heir of Harrenhal, and eventualy, Lady Paramount of the Riverlands, a suitable match for Harry (who is not an Arryn yet). And she also happens to come with a good dowry and be extremely hot, the boy will be a fool if he refuse.

Of course in the game of thrones nothing is as simple as it seems

Well, my theory is that Vale lords, knowing who Alayne truly is, will make LF legitimize her, so they could easily take him down. Because, with Alayne being legitimized, she is also heiress of all LF's wealth, and HH. Baelish does what he does the best with Cersei, promising her the support of the Vale if she recognizes his bastard daughter. Ironically, Cersei in her stupidity does that, and then Lords Declarant destroy LF's reign in the Vale.

More about that can be read here.

People keep saying that Alayne doesn't have anything to offer but a sizable dowry, but that's not strictly true. Littlefinger has no trueborn children, so unless he gets married again and produces a legitimate heir (and there's no guarantee that he will), Alayne is next in line to become Lady of Harrenhal and Lady Paramount of the Riverlands. Combined with the dowry, I'd say that's a fair match for someone who might be heir to the Vale.

• 5 months later...

Alayne Stone is a bastard. Therefore, before she can inherit Harrenhal and the Riverlands from her 'father', she has to be legitimised and after she is legitimised, she can only inherit if her 'father' does not remarry and have legitimate children.

Alayne comes with a huge dowry. Petyr is a very powerful guy with the crown and other powerful friends behind him. I am also pretty sure that Harry still has the final say on the matter that is why Petyr wants Sansa to make him fall for her.

He needs him to fall for her so he, via Sansa, can control him when he becomes the Lord of the Vale.

As a Ward of the Wanywoods, and his parents dead, it is up to them to arrange a marriage. He has no lands or power right now so is not in a position to refuse.

Archived