Lady Tanda

TyrionsFlagon

Please excuse me if this is an obvious observation that everyone has made except for myself, I'm not the best reader and tend to miss certain things (I didn't pick up on the fact that Arya was training to be an assassin, and I missed the fact that Bran was turning into a tree the first time I read the series).

Rereading Feast and I've been wondering whose side Lady Tanda is on. Cersei assumes that Lady Tanda sees the wisdom in spying on Margaery in order to gain favor with Cersei and win a better life for her own son. Cersei accepts this because it's clearly what Cersei would do in Lady Tanda's position. Cersei says something to the affect of, "Everything I do, I do for Tommen."

Cersei believes she's the smartest one out there and therefore can't imagine that Margaery would be playing her the same way.

In reading Cersei's conspiracy to bring down Margaery and her cousins after torturing the Blue Bard, I got the vibe that Lady Tanda was planted at Cersei's side just to feed her paranoia and actually help Marg bring Cersei down. Part of Cersei's plan was Lady Tanda's idea to leave a cousin out to add some truth to their accusations.

I wonder if Margaery has been asking Pycelle for Moon Tea and then pouring it down the privy. Maybe Tanda told Margaery about Cersei trying to get Osney to bed her, and Margaery took it one step further by asking for Moon Tea, knowing that Cersei would implode somehow.

Thoughts?

You mean Taena? Most people assume she is working for Doran

Yeah, he's gotta mean Taena. Though, when it comes to Lady Tanda she's on the side of anyone willing to marry Lollys but seeing as that would be Bronn who owes his station to Tyrion specifically, but House Lannister in general, so he's probably loyal to them in theory but he was a sellsword so...

Here's what I posted in a similar thread last year...

TAEna is a Valyrian name, no? I suspect Illyrio, not Varys, is a descendant of some daughter of House Blackfyre. I believe Varys is his agent. Perhaps Taena has some relation to the Blackfyres? They can't all have silver hair and purple eyes. Jon doesn't. And Orton married her while he was exiled in Essos. His grandfather lost everything when Aerys Targaryen exiled him. Perhaps Orton fell in with the Golden Company or some fellow travelers? Perhaps they were introduced by Illyrio? Perhaps she's working for Illyrio and Varys? I never bought into Taena working for Doran. I think Varys tells Doran what Illyrio and Varys want him to know. And while she could be a double agent for House Tyrell against House...um...Baratheon-Lannister, she doesn't seem to worry about not hurting House Tyrell.

And here's the other thread...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/61712-taena-who-is-she-spying-for/

And here's an older thread that some some recent comments...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/62903-taena-and-qyburns-boss/

Taena most certainly isn't the most loyal person around. Just as most people, she does what needs to e done to get herself in a higher social position, and in a higher position of power.

I've never heard about the theory that Taena is working for Doran, please elaborate :)

If Taena is working for Margaery, they have made a dangerous plot. Margaery's life absolutely isn't certain anymore.

Looking at Pycelle's words in the epilogue of Dance, it suggests that there was no moon tea at all, and he only said what Cersei wanted him to say. That goes together nicely with Cersei cutting Pycelle off he first time he mentions the moon tea. At that point, Pycelle wants to say more, but Cersei doesn't let him. I wonder if that's because she's afraid he'll say too much and make a mistake in the lie.

Taena is from Myr, IIRC. I doubt every single person from Essos is working for Illyrio/Varys. A place of birth is not enough evidence for such

I don't know who Taena is working for, but I strongly suspect she's working with Qyburn. I just can't get over the fact that Taena so conveniently told Cersei the story about lady Olenna shopping with ancient Reach coins, and Qyburn just happened to dig a little deeper into Rugen's cell than all the other people that searched it inside out and found the hidden coin. I smell a rat. Or perhaps I'm just being even more paranoid that Cersei.

I don't know who Taena is working for, but I strongly suspect she's working with Qyburn. I just can't get over the fact that Taena so conveniently told Cersei the story about lady Olenna shopping with ancient Reach coins, and Qyburn just happened to dig a little deeper into Rugen's cell than all the other people that searched it inside out and found the hidden coin. I smell a rat. Or perhaps I'm just being even more paranoid that Cersei.

In that case, she might also be working with/for Varys, since the coin was found in Rugens compartment, and since Rugen is actually Varys, it was most likely Varys who planted the coin there.

It is also possible that Varys returned at a later point to plant the coin, which could explain why the first search of Rugens chambers didn´t turn up the coin.

And you can never be as paranoid as Cersei :) Don't worry :D

In that case, she might also be working with/for Varys, since the coin was found in Rugens compartment, and since Rugen is actually Varys, it was most likely Varys who planted the coin there.

It is also possible that Varys returned at a later point to plant the coin, which could explain why the first search of Rugens chambers didn´t turn up the coin.

And you can never be as paranoid as Cersei :) Don't worry :D

I thought she was working for the Tyrells at first as well but on reading that it makes sense that she might be on the side of Varys/Illyrio.

Taena most certainly isn't the most loyal person around. Just as most people, she does what needs to e done to get herself in a higher social position, and in a higher position of power.

I've never heard about the theory that Taena is working for Doran, please elaborate :)

If Taena is working for Margaery, they have made a dangerous plot. Margaery's life absolutely isn't certain anymore.

Looking at Pycelle's words in the epilogue of Dance, it suggests that there was no moon tea at all, and he only said what Cersei wanted him to say. That goes together nicely with Cersei cutting Pycelle off he first time he mentions the moon tea. At that point, Pycelle wants to say more, but Cersei doesn't let him. I wonder if that's because she's afraid he'll say too much and make a mistake in the lie.

Taena is from Myr, IIRC. I doubt every single person from Essos is working for Illyrio/Varys. A place of birth is not enough evidence for such

I'm in the Doran's agent field so i will explain my thoughts. First off is Doran's "friends at court." This cant be Varys, because there is his statement that the Spider has ears everywhere when he talks about why he sent of Quentyn so discreetly. If Varys was a friend at court, he wouldnt worry about him discovering the plan. Then there is the fact that Taena's actions and whisperings have effectively imprisoned Cersei and Margery both; and each of these belong to a House the Dornish have a grudge against. I had other thoughts too but I dont recall what they were now... old age damnit :p

I'm in the Doran's agent field so i will explain my thoughts. First off is Doran's "friends at court." This cant be Varys, because there is his statement that the Spider has ears everywhere when he talks about why he sent of Quentyn so discreetly. If Varys was a friend at court, he wouldnt worry about him discovering the plan. Then there is the fact that Taena's actions and whisperings have effectively imprisoned Cersei and Margery both; and each of these belong to a House the Dornish have a grudge against. I had other thoughts too but I dont recall what they were now... old age damnit :P

True, Taena could be the agent Prince Doran has in court but so could a multitude of other characters when you think about it. The candidates I'd truly suspect, all for varying reasons, include Qyburn, Prince Xho, Bronn, and now that I think of Lady Tanda as well

Archived