R + L = Lightbringer -- Updated with Part II

Schmendrick

You will be proven wrong in time. I think Schremdick has the right idea, and GRRM loves to subvert tropes. Your idea about the Hightower lighthouse housing a actual sword may turn to be painfully wrong.

Except it was rather not his idea, not that it matters that much who brings up ideas, unless afcourse you react in such a way to his scrutiny of this theory whilst it was someone else entirely, namely i, who started that hightower theory for what its worth.

Afcourse my theory might prove painfully wrong. you are free to explain in detail in the thread i started why you so strongly believe it will. If you feel you need to reply to trepesoa's input, imho you should adress some of his points rather than cheer youre favourite theory on the matter and denounce another withought any argument whatsoever, atleast i think it would be more constructive.

This is one of those things I was researching for your thread on wreathings before I got sidetracked, The Snowfyre Chorus. :)

The name Rhaegar has always bothered me, because it feels like there should be some etymological clues in it, but nothing I've come up with fits perfectly. Lots of writers put their parents into their books like this, so you may well be right. It seems a bit odd to me that he would change the "mar" to a "gar," if he was going for an homage to his father, but there are certainly some potential explanations for the change.

I see the wreathes everywhere now, Schmendrick - though at the time, that thread was a bit of a lark. :)

Regarding the name Rhaegar, the most sensible possibility I've come across (in terms of etymologies) is the Welsh word rhagair - meaning "foreword" or "prologue."

Why would Jon's "true" name be Aemon? I thought it was the consensus that his Targaryen name would have been Viserys, since Rhaegar was naming his children after the original trio of Aegon, Rhaenys & Visenya.

I don't think there is any consensus. I think if Rhaegar had been around when Jon was born, Aemon would have been a very likely choice for a name.

I get into this more in Part III, but I picture "true dragon" status as being something akin to the Zoroastrian concept of "Khvarenah." Khvarenah is often described as the "divine glory of kings" and often depicted in art as a shining light emanating from a royal figure. A king's Khvarenah is his symbol of rightful and righteous rule. Those who posses Khvarenah are said to make the greatest rulers, having a sort of radiant charisma. A king can lose his Khvarenah through misrule and regain it by making things right. Khvarenah can be transferred (usually upon death) and even stolen. In addition to kings, there are also several stories of heroes and prophets acquiring or being born with Khvarenah.

Excited for Part III then. I guess I am getting a bit ahead of you! :)

ETA: Trepesoa, the theory is not about the readers picking answers that rid the book of cliches. Martin has said that the Red religion was based on two real-life religions or beliefs, and the theory tries to examine future events of the book, specifically Lightbringer, in alignment with the ideals of the two cultures/religions mentioned here. Jon Snow is a symbolic sword who will be forged three times. Did you get to that part of this theory? (Just curious. It seems like it's related to what you're actually theorizing.) The dragons were not all forged three times individually, quite the opposite. All three dragons were forged once, for three total "forgings" but equaling to one "forging" per dragon. Playing devil's advocate here: if the dragons are Lightbringer, and by that I mean all three dragons together with their riders are Lightbringer, where are the other two "forgings"?

I see the wreathes everywhere now, Schmendrick - though at the time, that thread was a bit of a lark. :)

Regarding the name Rhaegar, the most sensible possibility I've come across (in terms of etymologies) is the Welsh word rhagair - meaning "foreword" or "prologue."

For kind of an out of left field guess, the Reijger was one of three Dutch ships that Johan Van Riebeeck took when the Dutch first colonized South Africa. They sailed into Table Bay where he built the Fort of Good Hope which was later replaced with the Castle of Good Hope on the site of the present day, Cape Town.

Interestingly enough, the wiki credits Van Riebeeck as reporting the first comet discovered from South Africa.

This isn't strictly about R+L; it's about their son being Lightbringer.

R+L is in the title. I've seen just about ALL threads with R+L in the title merged or locked and referred to the pinned threads. In fact, I cannot find a single thread still open, other than this one and the pinned thread, with R+L in the title. And I've witnessed certain people reporting such threads, even when the subject debates AGAINST R+L and should rightly be a separate argument.

How can R+L = their son Lightbringer not strictly mean R+L?

All the other R+L threads I remember seeing have been about things like "was she really abducted?", "were they married?", etc. This thread isn't about any of that sort of thing. It's a theory about Jon Snow being Lightbringer that uses some references to Rhaegar and Lyanna as evidence.

I guess I'm not 100% clear on the policy (if there is one), but I certainly hope it doesn't get locked, as it is a very involved theory that deserves its own in depth discussion.

R+L is in the title. I've seen just about ALL threads with R+L in the title merged or locked and referred to the pinned threads. In fact, I cannot find a single thread still open, other than this one and the pinned thread, with R+L in the title.

How can R+L = their son Lightbringer not strictly mean R+L?

The title just means that Jon is Lightbringer. This isn't a thread about Jon's parentage.

All the other R+L threads I remember seeing have been about things like "was she really abducted?", "were they married?", etc. This thread isn't about any of that sort of thing. It's a theory about Jon Snow being Lightbringer that uses some references to Rhaegar and Lyanna as evidence.

I guess I'm not 100% clear on the policy (if there is one), but I certainly hope it doesn't get locked, as it is a very involved theory that deserves its own in depth discussion.

If this thread is about R+L=J (and it is) there is a pinned thread for that.

I've seen plenty of R+L=J threads sent to the pinned thread and/or locked. I've also seen many, ok all, R+L doesn't equal J threads have the same fate, and those also had very involved theories that deserved their own in depth discussions.

The title just means that Jon is Lightbringer. This isn't a thread about Jon's parentage.

And you are one of the people who warned others not to use R+L in a title because it would be merged or locked. This forum does have a search function.

It says R+L in the title, of course that's what the thread is about.

If this thread is about R+L=J (and it is) there is a pinned thread for that.

I've seen plenty of R+L=J threads sent to the pinned thread and/or locked. I've also seen many, ok all, R+L doesn't equal J threads have the same fate, and those also had very involved theories that deserved their own in depth discussions.

No, it's not. By chance, did you happen to read any of the preceding discussion before posting?

And you are one of the people who warned others not to use R+L in a title because it would be merged or locked.

Another swing, another miss.

The title is simply a matter of style. It's the OP's way of saying that Jon is LB. This is not a thread about Jon's parentage.

And you are one of the people who warned others not to use R+L in a title because it would be merged or locked. This forum does have a search function.

This thread isn't a debate about whether Jon is the son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, this thread assumes that as a fact and goes on to argue Jon's place in the story, ETA based on imagery specific to Jon. And is there any reason that you care?

No, it's not. By chance, did you happen to read any of the preceding discussion before posting?

Another swing, another miss.

The title is simply a matter of style. It's the OP's way of saying that Jon is LB. This is not a thread about Jon's parentage.

So, anyone can search your posts, and won't find you telling OP's to not use R+L in their titles because they'll be shown to the pinned thread or locked, especially when they argued against it?

So, anyone can search your posts, and won't find you telling OP's to not use R+L in their titles because they'll be shown to the pinned thread or locked, especially when they argued against it?

I don't recall, but I assume if I mentioned titles, it was in relation to the content of the thread. This thread is about Lightbringer, which is obvious from the title.

It occurred to me that the Targaryen words line up nicely with Schmendrick's take on LB; i.e., one part dragon, one part Jon.

Targ words: Fire and Blood. One part fire, one part blood.

Lightbringer: Dragon and Jon. What does each one bring to the table? Fire and (magic) Blood; blood of the First Men + blood of the dragon.

It occurred to me that the Targaryen words line up nicely with Schmendrick's take on LB; i.e., one part dragon, one part Jon.

Targ words: Fire and Blood. One part fire, one part blood.

Lightbringer: Dragon and Jon. What does each one bring to the table? Fire and (magic) Blood; blood of the First Men + blood of the dragon.

I like the theory, too. But everybody's got Blood. ;)

Archived