Bran the Dragonseer?

John Suburbs

A few thoughts on Brans future:

As the most powerful greenseer and warg in the history of Westeros, what is the possibility that he will either see or warg into a dragon when the final conflict between fire and ice takes place?

And for that matter, as he does with Hodor, perhaps he will be able to warg into one or more of the dragon riders, whomever they may be (my money is on Dany, John and Tyrion)?

It's questionable and unlikely that he's the most powerful in the history of Westeros. There's a lot of speculation that he'll warg into a dragon at some point, but as for warging into other humans, I doubt that will happen, unless he finds someone very weak of will. Especially Dany/Jon/Tyrion, who all are very strong of character and sure of themselves, I don't think he can crack their walls.

There's also the question of whether dragons can be warged into- they're not like other animals, and I'm not sure of the precedent of warging into something with supernatural tendencies.

Why is warging a Dragon stupid? It seems very likely that a strong skinchanger could warg into a dragon, and from previous discussions it seems as though the Targs knew/feared this which is why there is very little interaction between Northerners and Targs.

I feel like it would be a waste to see so much emphasis on warging and dragons, as major elements of the story, to never see them overlap. Do we assume Dragons have reptilian brains? If so then they are highly instinctual/mechanical, easily "hacked"...IMO

Why is warging a Dragon stupid? It seems very likely that a strong skinchanger could warg into a dragon, and from previous discussions it seems as though the Targs knew/feared this which is why there is very little interaction between Northerners and Targs.

I feel like it would be a waste to see so much emphasis on warging and dragons, as major elements of the story, to never see them overlap. Do we assume Dragons have reptilian brains? If so then they are highly instinctual/mechanical, easily "hacked"...IMO

Well I will tell you why it may be a bad idea. You notice that nobody has warged a Wight? Skinchangers feel what an animal feels, the heart beat, the pulse, the fur, you name it. Dragons are walking infernos on the inside and fire so far has not agreed with Skinchangers. There is no evidence the Targs feared skinchangers, that is fan speculation. We have no idea of the interactions between Targs and the north. But we do know they went north as far as the wall at least one. There has never been a huge emphasis on warging outside of Bran chapters. And for Bran warging was just a first step. Warging does not have a huge emphasis in driving the 24 POV characters to date. While it will have some importance, so will things like dragon steel and obsidian, they are just another of the many, many elements martin has in the books. It's a very minor aspect of a very broad story. It's biggest moment is probably coming early in Dance.

They brought six dragons with them and the Queen rode off on one by herself, so the North didn't scare them at least.

“Alysanne, the wife of King Jaehaerys the Conciliator. He’s called the Old King because he reigned so long, but he was young when he first came to the Iron Throne. In those days, it was his wont to travel all over the realm. When he came to Winterfell, he brought his queen, six dragons, and half his court. The king had matters to discuss with his Warden of the North, and Alysanne grew bored, so she mounted her dragon Silverwing and flew north to see the Wall. This village was one of the places where she stopped. Afterward the smallfolk painted the top of their holdfast to look like the golden crown she’d worn when she spent the night among them.”

Wasn't there a Brandon Snow who was going to kill Aegon the Conqueror's dragons? I am not sure where I read it but i think it was something about arrows in their eyes made of weirwood branches. I am not definitively sure.

Yeah, before Torren decided to kneel. (I think it's in the WoIaF samples)

Oh, I remember now!

Yeah, the attempted assassination was mentioned in the WoIaF thing, but the arrows came from a vision of Bran's in ADWD.

He saw someone making the arrows in front of the tree's eyes. A young man with dark hair. Too bad Theon lost his digits and his hair is white now, it would be neat if he was the one to kill Dany's dragons.

Oh, I remember now!

Yeah, the attempted assassination was mentioned in the WoIaF thing, but the arrows came from a vision of Bran's in ADWD.

He saw someone making the arrows in front of the tree's eyes. A young man with dark hair. Too bad Theon lost his digits and his hair is white now, it would be neat if he was the one to kill Dany's dragons.

This from Bran's WW Trip:

A dark-eyed youth, pale and fierce, sliced three branches off the weirwood and shaped them into arrows.

Not sure how wise it would be to warg into a dragon. Or control it. Remember how hard it was for Varamyr to control his bear? well think how a dragon would act. Might kill himself trying to break free.

Or everyone around him. If a bear breaking free could kill a few people what could a giant fire breathing lizard do.

I guess my point is that I'm having trouble seeing what role Bran could possibly play in the final song of fire and ice. I mean, if he's just stuck in some tree roots in a cave watching things unfold he becomes completely irrelevant to the story.

There has to be a way for him to play in active role in the final conflict, no?

I think he can Warg Hodor because Hodor is so simple-minded. Doing it to someone powerful like Dany of Jon would probably be much tougher. I'm sure Bran could do it eventually, but it would be a stretch, free-will is still an important part of all the character development. ANd as we know warging a person is supposed to be 'against the rules'. Plus once you go that route, it opens up too much, like every character could possibly be warged by BR through the whole story, it just doesn't write well.

I guess my point is that I'm having trouble seeing what role Bran could possibly play in the final song of fire and ice. I mean, if he's just stuck in some tree roots in a cave watching things unfold he becomes completely irrelevant to the story.

There has to be a way for him to play in active role in the final conflict, no?

He's not stuck in a cave. He could leave either the way he came in or through the bottom of the cave network.

Well I will tell you why it may be a bad idea. You notice that nobody has warged a Wight? Skinchangers feel what an animal feels, the heart beat, the pulse, the fur, you name it. Dragons are walking infernos on the inside and fire so far has not agreed with Skinchangers. There is no evidence the Targs feared skinchangers, that is fan speculation. We have no idea of the interactions between Targs and the north. But we do know they went north as far as the wall at least one. There has never been a huge emphasis on warging outside of Bran chapters. And for Bran warging was just a first step. Warging does not have a huge emphasis in driving the 24 POV characters to date. While it will have some importance, so will things like dragon steel and obsidian, they are just another of the many, many elements martin has in the books. It's a very minor aspect of a very broad story. It's biggest moment is probably coming early in Dance.

So nobody has warged a white eh? I'm gonna have to disagree with ya on that, I firmly believe that coldhands is a "warged white" if he isn't benjen than he is one of the Starks of old who was killed and warged back into his body.

And I have thought that bran was gonna warg a dragon since he first started warging. Whether or not it will be successful we shall see but I wouldn't rule it out completely

Archived