So, who's definitely gonna die in The Winds of Winter?

LooseyRoosey

Ramsay Snow

Roose Bolton

No one escapes the frost of winter

-----

Daario Naharis

Hizdahr jfibhgnikbngknjj

To get out of Dany's pants so she can actually move the plot along.

-----

Septon and his buddies.

Cersei will have them dragged through the city by Robert Strong as they die slowly from losing blood.

-----

Melisandre

Sacrificing herself to create TPTWP & Azor Ahai, Demigod Jon Stark.

Assuming GRRM stays true to his word on cutting down on the POVs, I think we will see numerous "minor" POV characters killed off. The most effective way to cut down on the POVs is to kill them off. Giving them POVs and then never returning to those characters would just be awkward.

These are the minor characters with POV chapters that I can remember off the top of my head. I can see all of them dying in one way or another. Maybe Asha lives.

Areo

Doran

Jon Con

Vic

Baristan

Damphair (please, his chapters suck, have Euron kill him off already)

Asha

Non POVs on the chopping block

Tommen

Myrcella

Countless Essos characters

Ramsey/Roose

Stannis (I hope not)

Jorah (maybe)

Daario (please)

Lots of Freys

Completely agree with this list!!

Although I prefer Areo to live, so that we have a Dorne POV. But if Doran dies, there is nothing left to see.

Also, I want Barristan to live, just because he is so poised to die.

I think every main character, who is somehow disfigured, has a higher chance to survive, as he or she is marked as ''not to be killed early''. The most of people who have died by now, were quite healthy before their death.

I used this logic and predicted Fred Weasley's death and Arthur Weasley's survival in Harry Potter.

Important disfigured people:

the Hound, Tyrion (first dwarf, now noseless), Bran, Jon (hand burnt, then dead), Jaime, Theon, Euron (one eyed?), Brienne(face bitten off).

I used this logic and predicted Fred Weasley's death and Arthur Weasley's survival in Harry Potter.

Important disfigured people:

the Hound, Tyrion (first dwarf, now noseless), Bran, Jon (hand burnt, then dead), Jaime, Theon, Euron (one eyed?), Brienne(face bitten off).

That would add Myrcella to the list of survivors. I'm fine with that! I always said the prophesy didn't necessarily require the death of Cersei's kids, just that she loses them in some way.

I agree with the poster above who said explanations make it more interesting. Long lists of deaths don't do justice to GRRM's intrigues. :)

Also, eventual deaths are not the same thing exactly as WoW deaths, which can be somewhat predicted based on current events, while DoS predictions are harder.

It is, for example obvious that large numbers of Freys are about to die by various means (Umber traps, Hooded Man, Stoneheart, Manderly, Stannis, infighting, and maybe Nymeria's pack) I do hope Olyvar and Perwyn maybe manage to survive though. They might be contenders for the Rosby inheritance, and have good ties to Roslin and Edmure if that little family manages to survive Littlefinger's Sansa land grab.

Jojen.

The Faith's champion in Cersei's trial will die. Lancel? Anyway the Mercy chapter indicates she survives it.

Hizdahr of course must die somehow if Dany is going to be free to move on to Westeros. Jhaqo will die by dragon fire and Dany will take over the Khalasar. This will likely lead to the sack of at least one city linked to Dany's troubles: Meereen, Yunkai, Volantis, or Qarth depending on which is closest. Beyond that, I disagree with the common view that several other major characters will die in Meereen. I think they all still have roles to play beyond Meereen. Best bet is Barristan goes to Aegon, Jorah goes to the Wall, Tyrion...depends what happens with Victarion.

Theon seems destined to be "the sacrifice" to me, since he if physically and mentally destroyed, seems to want to die, he arrived in Stannis's camp during the Sacrifice chapter, and events are headed that way in the preview WoW chapter. I am thinking it might be a dual weirwood and fire sacrifice just like Victarion combined a drowned god and fire sacrifice. Here's hoping his death serves some sort of redemptive purpose. Maybe Mel throws Shireen in the funeral pyre for Jon to raise a stone dragon, and then Theon's King's blood sacrifice buys her life, while hers buys Jon's so they both come out alive. That would be sweet.

Tommen will die and soon. Many bums will sit that throne before the books are done GRRM said, and there isn't much time left for those other bums. Whichever bum fills the seat after Tommen will also die in WoW - Myrcella or Aegon, or both.

Someone important is going to catch greyscale. It could be someone who plans to marry Aegon (Myrcella and Arianne are contenders, Marge too if she survives her trial) or it could be Aegon himself. Or maybe Varys. JonCon is a time bomb, about to die and take some people with him.

Oldtown events are too much of a big question mark to make predictions. I am quite certain Euron will not die yet though. His story hasn't played out.

Anything beyond these is pure guess work and inevitably biased by reader preferences and assumptions.

My bets for who is definitely going to die are:

Cersei (by Arya - she will change her face and appear far more beautiful than Cersei, or will simply have grown into a beautiful woman, valonquar = little sister)

Robin (by Sansa, probably poisoned with sweet milk)

Littlefinger (by Sansa or her champion, e.g. the Blackfish or Hound, I don't see LF playing a role in the final book)

Ramsay Bolton

Stannis (by Melisandre, after she resurrects Jon and declares him to be the true god reborn)

Catelyn Stark (again, by Jaime and/or Brienne)

Daario (need to open up room for Jon Snow)

Hizdahr (same)

At least one Kettleblack

Possibly going to die (I don't see where they fit into the story moving forward to last book, and can't imagine them just retiring somewhere):

Margaery and/or Loras

Tommen

Valonqar is little brother, not little sister. Just because the word for Prince is gender neutral, doesn't mean Valonqar is. In fact it is not. It specifically means brother.

Sansa will not kill Robert, Mel will not kill Stannis, otherwise ok I guess, though it don't see why Daario has to die. He is just Dany's lover and she already rejected him as marriage material.

Valonqar is little brother, not little sister. Just because the word for Prince is gender neutral, doesn't mean Valonqar is. In fact it is not. It specifically means brother.

Why? Grammar rules generally apply across the board. Where is the "fact" I am missing?

I think Jaime is the other possibility, but I think Arya needs to get at least one of the big names on her list. Cersei makes the most sense at this point.

Sansa will not kill Robert, Mel will not kill Stannis . . . .

Lol, well if you say it, it must be true? :)

Why? Grammar rules generally apply across the board. Where is the "fact" I am missing?

I think Jaime is the other possibility, but I think Arya needs to get at least one of the big names on her list. Cersei makes the most sense at this point.

There is a pretty big difference between a title that means "royal offspring" and a word that is specifically meant to refer to a male child, grammatically. There is zero reason for a language to treat titles of power and specific gendered terminology the same way. If a language has a gender neutral term for Prince, that would mean the culture behind the language is gender neutral on the issue of authority. But gender still exists, and a word is still needed for "brother".

I agree that Arya has to get some of the people on her list, but interpreting the prophesy to mean Arya feels like convoluted stretching. I kind of hope she gets to kill the Mountain/Robert Strong, so Sandor doesn't have to. Also Meryn Trant, Dunsen and Illyn Payne are still out there.

As for Sansa - it is vaguely possible she might become a child murderer, but it is not in character, and certainly not "definite" so does not belong on a list of certainties. And Mel shows ZERO signs of ever wanting to murder Stannis so ditto. Does not belong on a list of certainties.

Who I think will bite it:

• Barristan Selmy
  • Cersei Lannister
  • Victarion Greyjoy
  • Margaery Tyrell
  • Ramsay Bolton
  • Melisandre
  • Jojen Reed
  • Tommen Baratheon
  • Lady Stoneheart
  • Robert Strong
  • Sweetrobin

Possibly:

• Myrcella Baratheon
  • Samwell Tarly
  • Brienne of Tarth
  • Daario Naharis
  • Aeron Damphair
  • Roose Bolton
  • Theon Greyjoy

I don't think valonqar was ever definitively defined to mean "little brother," but rather that was Cersei's interpretation of the term, which could very well mean "little sibling" (Cersei is an idiot when it comes to High Valyrian - she thought Maegi was Maggy). In Cersei's view (and the view of anyone she may have asked), she has no little sister, so only little brother would make sense to her. But the prophecy doesn't say that her valonqar will kill her.

As for the second point, I do not consider the parts of my post in parentheses to be certainties either. But I do not agree with your post that they definitively will not happen.

Maybe Arya will kill Robert Strong, and Sandor, Gregor's little brother will kill Cersei.

But I really think it will be Jamie or Tyrion. Anything else would feel like a let-down to me for a family that started out as all about advancing the family.

But regardless, I don't think that will happen in WoW.

So which one of the two was first into the world, Jamie or Cersei? If Cersai, then there is your answer. Also, this should take place at the end of whichever book is the last one (7 or 8?), preferably in some circumstances in the ruins of Castely Rock. ...come to think about it, perhaps it would be more romantic if they just finally get married and restore (destroy) the Lannister name by living happily ever after in Castely Rock...

Tommen - Via trial by combat against Gendry after Davos and Stannis declair Gendry as Robert's true son and heir to House Baratheon.

Daareo - Die during the battle for Moreen maybe while escaping.

Hazdahr - Die during the battle for Moreen.

Euron & Victorian Greyjoy - Will both kill each other.

Roose Bolton - Cersei will have hime executed for abandoning his post or killed in Braavos at the hands of Arya.

Ramsey Bolton - Will be killed during the battle of Winterfell either by Stannis or Theon.

Margaery Tyrell - Will lose her trial and head with in a 5min span.

Mace Tyrell - After hearing of Margaery's execution

Sweetrobin - Murdered by LF orders.

LittleFinger - Lose his head after Sansa accuses him of kill Sweetrobin and Aunt Lysa and her husband John Aryen. Blackfish will swing the sword.

I can see Theon living for much of the same reasons people believe Walder Frey makes it out alive. GRRM isn't going to give us what we/the characters want. Just bc Theon is begging for death almost at this point doesn't mean he's going to receive the gift of mercy.

Personally I would like to see Theon sit the Seastone Chair and totally redeem himself at least as much as possible but I guess that's a little TOO storybookish.

I can see Theon living for much of the same reasons people believe Walder Frey makes it out alive. GRRM isn't going to give us what we/the characters want. Just bc Theon is begging for death almost at this point doesn't mean he's going to receive the gift of mercy.

Personally I would like to see Theon sit the Seastone Chair and totally redeem himself at least as much as possible but I guess that's a little TOO storybookish.

It's not about wanting him dead or wanting him to live. He is Stannis's prisoner. Stannis's men are demanding a sacrifice to R'hllor to assure their victory. The Northmen want Theon punnished for his crimes, justifiably - whether he killed Bran and Rickon or not, his actions led to Robb's defeat because once he lost his own home he could not hold his bannermen in line. Theon showed up at Stannis's camp in a chapter called "the sacrifice". Of the two Greyjoys with Stannis right now, very simply, Theon is the one whose crimes are greater in the eyes of Stannis's Northern allies, and he is also the one who is the least useful - being physically and mentally destroyed.

Meanwhile at the wall, Shireen has been dreaming about stone dragons coming to eat her, and Mel might need to revive Jon and raise her stone dragon, and think burning Shireen might do it. Life pays for life. Theon's life might buy Jon's or Shireen's.

Finally, in the WoW chapter, Theon is on the verge of being sacrificed, quite clearly.

He just is not going to survive.

Archived