Heresy 107

Black Crow

I agree. My husband is an "Unsullied." After last nights episode, I asked him a simple question. If he heard a girl was abducted by a man, and later it became known she had a baby, who would he think was the father. Of course his answer was "the guy who kidnapped her."

This makes me think about the Sealord's cat. You are so excited the Sealord couldn't fool you (Ned is not Jon's biological father,) you don't realize it was a ruse to take your attention away from him. The Sealord was the riddle not the riddler? ;)

I had a similar experience a week ago.

Someone I know has not read the books, but has seen all seasons of the show. Has no idea of fan theories. Asked me the most popular one.

I said "Well, I'll tell you, but first I have some questions for you based on what you've seen."

So I asked them; she answered them all very rapidly.

Then I said "The most popular fan theory requires you to answer all four of those questions the opposite way you did."

"What?!?" she said. "That's some bullshit."

If anyone knows, has there been any news if they cast an actress for Val this year?

I was looking through the cast members for this season to see if anyone fit the bill for Val and came across two interesting actresses.

The first was Sarine Sofair cast as Lhara; another Ros it appears. The article that made reference to her hypothesized that she might be a bastard child of Melissandre...partly due to her red hair (which has nothing to do with the character just look at Emilia Clark). Lhara will apparently show up in E6 (The Law of Gods and Men) and E7 (Mockingbird). No synopsis given for either episode.

The other person that was of interest is Samantha Bentley (no character name provided). She might be a good candidate for Val, given her good looks and dark colored hair.

And, oh by the way....her film credits include 2013 AVN Winner (Adult Video News) for best group sex.

And it is important that the individual books refer to the civil wars, but the series title reminds us constantly that the real issue lies in the North beyond the Wall. Stannis becomes one of the few characters fully to understand that, which is why in spite of everything he is a righteous man, and not just a version of Henry VII, Tiberius or Louis XI.

That would be my favorite part :)

...which is exactly why I don't think Aerys had a thing to do with the KG at the ToJ.

If he could have recalled them... bear in mind, this was a time when things were so bleak that he sent Viserys and his own wife to Dragonmount... I think he would have. If you fear imminent death, it's probably quite a security blanket to have three such deadly KG around.

But it seems Aerys didn't know where they were.

Exactly.

Speaking of casting, it's still pretty eye-opening that Leaf shows up this season.

You'd think that would scare GRRM into typing faster, right?

It could be means to an out--establish that Bran is able to see into the past, and have an episode, if not a whole season, that is almost entirely his visions through the tree-net (Robert's Rebellion season while we wait for Martin? :dunno: )

It could be means to an out--establish that Bran is able to see into the past, and have an episode, if not a whole season, that is almost entirely his visions through the tree-net (Robert's Rebellion season while we wait for Martin? :dunno: )

Cool idea. I'd love to have a whole episode of Bran's visions (if I knew they matched the book versions we haven't gotten yet).

But I can't imagine a whole season on Robert's Rebellion. Actually, in general, it seems like they are barely even trying to tell us about RR.

They have to... a little bit, of course... to justify the big Oberyn/Mountain fight that they definitely want because it's, well, compelling TV. They can't have the Red Viper doing his chant all through the fight unless the viewers have some clue who Elia was and what led to her death.

I feel a bit sorry for D&D on topics like this. It's very hard to bring in that kind of abstract history in a TV show and expect people to remember it. I'm sure most won't, even this super-minimal version.

"Who is this Elia person? And why does Bisexual Fighter Man keep bringing her up? Does it have something to do with Raygun?"

I had a similar experience a week ago.

Someone I know has not read the books, but has seen all seasons of the show. Has no idea of fan theories. Asked me the most popular one.

I said "Well, I'll tell you, but first I have some questions for you based on what you've seen."

So I asked them; she answered them all very rapidly.

Then I said "The most popular fan theory requires you to answer all four of those questions the opposite way you did."

"What?!?" she said. "That's some bullshit."

What were the questions?

I don't remember the exact phrasing.

The essence of them was...

1. Imagine you're a fifteen year old girl again. You are similar to Arya, from the show, but obviously a few years older. Would you run away with a married man who has two kids? Before answering, suppose this man is beautiful and famous and powerful and... that he once made you sniffle, by singing a sad song in public.

2. Suppose you choose to run away. Then your lover's father burns your father alive in a location hundreds of miles away from you. Oh, yeah, he also strangles your brother. You hear of this sad event. Do you think that news would influence your behavior and relationship somehow... or would you, absorbed in your love for your lover, and wary of coming back to the public world, continue to stay in the same place? And get pregnant a few months later?

3. Now imagine that you live in a world where your lover's family used to commit polygamy, 200 years ago or so. Not since, as far as you know, but it might still be legal, because that family is special. Would you marry your already-married lover?

4. Now imagine that your other, not murdered brother is Ned Stark from the show. You remember Ned -- Captain Honor. Can you picture Ned Stark committing treason against his sworn liege and best friend Robert every day for the next fourteen years? Imagine you're dying and on your deathbed you begged him to do this -- does that change your answer?

Her answers were

1. No.

2. I would absolutely leave and it would be bound to affect my relationship with my lover for the worse.

3. No.

4. Hell no.

She then asked if this is Ned's sister we're talking about, wouldn't she probably have the same sense of honor as Ned? So the whole thing would just be ridiculous because there's no way even the first question would get a yes? I laughed.

Then I told her the most popular fan theory requires the opposite answer to all those questions.

But that smirk was just.... so.... perfect :devil:

Charles Dance is a great actor. I can't see how he, or anyone, could be any better in that role.

I thought his scenes with Maisie Williams at Harrenhal were killer, too.

I don't remember the exact phrasing.

The essence of them was...

1. Imagine you're a fifteen year old girl again. You are similar to Arya, from the show, but obviously a few years older. Would you run away with a married man who has two kids? Before answering, suppose this man is beautiful and famous and powerful and... that he once made you sniffle, by singing a sad song in public.

2. Suppose you choose to run away. Then your lover's father burns your father alive in a location hundreds of miles away from you. Oh, yeah, he also strangles your brother. You hear of this sad event. Do you think that news would influence your behavior and relationship somehow... or would you, absorbed in your love for your lover, and wary of coming back to the public world, continue to stay in the same place? And get pregnant a few months later?

3. Now imagine that you live in a world where your lover's family used to commit polygamy, 200 years ago or so. Not since, as far as you know, but it might still be legal, because that family is special. Would you marry your already-married lover?

4. Now imagine that your other, not murdered brother is Ned Stark from the show. You remember Ned -- Captain Honor. Can you picture Ned Stark committing treason against his sworn liege and best friend Robert every day for the next fourteen years? Imagine you're dying and on your deathbed you begged him to do this -- does that change your answer?

Her answers were

1. No.

2. I would absolutely leave and it would be bound to affect my relationship with my lover for the worse.

3. No.

4. Hell no.

She then asked if this is Ned's sister we're talking about, wouldn't she probably have the same sense of honor as Ned? So the whole thing would just be ridiculous because there's no way even the first question would get a yes? I laughed.

Then I told her the most popular fan theory requires the opposite answer to all those questions.

I just can't help but the get the feeling, regardless of any truth to RLJ, that for some currently unknown reason, Lyanna was trying to stick it to Rickard and maybe Brandon as well (might have been as simple as she really did not want to marry Robert, and she was getting revenge on her father? and things just got really, really out of hand very quickly? :dunno: )

The other person that was of interest is Samantha Bentley (no character name provided). She might be a good candidate for Val, given her good looks and dark colored hair.

And, oh by the way....her film credits include 2013 AVN Winner (Adult Video News) for best group sex.

I'm, um, sure that'll help her enormously if Val has a scene with Jon. . .

But you know, with what they spend on the brothel scenes, surely they could afford to write more in for Val and some other characters. Not that I want to detract from Pod's entertainment, I just thought that without Ros we might move a bit further away from that.

To see Tywin melting ice down and throwing Ned's pelt in the fire

I think one of the worst scenes from last night.Right in the feels :bawl:

What a way to start the season, a total gut punch.

But you know, with what they spend on the brothel scenes, surely they could afford to write more in for Val and some other characters. Not that I want to detract from Pod's entertainment, I just thought that without Ros we might move a bit further away from that.

Yeah, honestly, I would have preferred if the Red Viper had not gone to a brothel, and instead we had gotten the full scene from SoS in which Tyrion meets him.

It's one of my favorites in the whole series and would have covered the basic territory (Oberyn hates Lannisters/the Mountain, Oberyn is a horndog, Oberyn likes boys too) almost as plainly... and would have preserved some of GRRM's best dialogue.

I also liked and miss Ros. I'm just not sure how objective that appreciation is.

Archived