How does Dany get back to Westeros?

AnotherCrannogman

Agreed.

The only doubt I entertain is what happens with Khal Pono and his khalasar? Will these Dothraki follow her to Westoros? If so, not enough ships. Will they go by land? If so, who leads? It's an uncertain loose end....

Stannis has around 5K in his 200 ships.

Dany has ~10K soldiers - unsullied, mercenaries, and freemen. Lords know how many subjects she'd take with her.

The IB have 50-60 ships as of ADwD, likely a bit thin crewed since they need to have sailors and soldiers on the ones they capture. The Volantis fleet has 300-500 ships. Even if those ships are emptied out of all but crew, they won't be enough. Khal Pono is counted at around 30K when he is near Selhorys.

Not 100% convinced winning Khal Pono over will be all that simple though

You know what's easier than convincing Khal Pono to comply. Burning the shit out of him with Drogon and teaching the Dothraki who is strongest. Even if they don't feel too compelled to obey, Dany can remind them of the the 8K Unsullied she has. There were 30K Dothraki against 3K Unsullied, and we know how that worked out. So do they.

Wow. If Dany does not decide to get involved in the Westerosi war I will feel like the entire portion of the books she was in were a waste. Why role would she play if she does not return to Westeros?

Uh she freed some slaves, got some plunder other than that maybe learning that Westeros was never her home but that house with the red door in Braavos.

My personal theory:

Vic, Selmy, Tyrion etc win the battle of Meereen. They decide they need to get out before the Volantis fleet arrives. Selmy sets up the Green Grace as the interim ruler of Meereen and to conduct the trail on Hizdahr with the Shavepate as prosecutor (We later find out that Hizdahr is found innocent and is reestablished as ruler until Dany returns, we find out that the shavepate is executed.) They also broker a peace with Volantis.

Jorah, Daario, Tyrion, Messendei, Moroqqo, and Dany's remaining Dothraki refuse to leave without finding out what happened to Dany. So Selmy (as commander), Vic, Brown Ben Plumm, Grey Worm, The Unsullied and two Dragons bound by the horn sail west toward Pentos. Jorah and gang ride into the Dothraki sea in search of Dany. They are to go meet the others in Pentos after discovering Dany's fate.

They follow Drogon's burn patches until they come upon the trail of Khal Jhaqo's khalasar (as Jorah has said a khalasar is pretty easy to track). They see the burn marks so they know that Drogon is following along and assume Dany is as well.

They follow the trail back to Vaes Dothrak where they find that Dany has been taken captive, but the Dothraki do not want to harm Dany as they want to find a way to control Drogon. Drogon sensing no immediate harm to his mom has just been coming and going as he pleases feasting on horses which the Dothraki are offering up as sacrifices.

Jorah and company are able to free Dany somehow and high tail it toward Pentos with the help of Drogon slowing Jhaqo's riders down.

At Pentos we have a very interesting encounter will illyario Mopatis and also Brown Ben Plumm who has been promised a lordship by Tyrion but is also in Dany's dog house. Not sure if the Tattered Prince will show up to cash in on his promise of Pentos that Selmy offered him. After matters are settled or Pentos is burned to the ground, Dany and her entourage sail toward Westeros.

Doesnrt she have to conquer Volantis(where slaves are waiting for her) and Pentos(as per deal with the tattered prince) first?? I'm guessing she will take the Volantene ships(the slave labor on the ships will rebel) and the IB ships and sail to Volantis and then sail to Pentos and then to westeros.

Wow. If Dany does not decide to get involved in the Westerosi war I will feel like the entire portion of the books she was in were a waste. Why role would she play if she does not return to Westeros?

Maybe she was just a plot magnet to get other Westerosi to Essos and becomes obsolete. Similar to how some Starks became obsolete after the first book, from a narrative standpoint of course.

Doesnrt she have to conquer Volantis(where slaves are waiting for her) and Pentos(as per deal with the tattered prince) first?? I'm guessing she will take the Volantene ships(the slave labor on the ships will rebel) and the IB ships and sail to Volantis and then sail to Pentos and then to westeros.

Quentyn agreed to give the Tattered Prince Pentos in exchange for help kidnapping one of Dany's dragons. Dany had no part in that deal obviously. Later Selmy offers to give the Tattered prince Pentos in exchange for the release of the Meereen hostages. Again, Dany has no part of this exchange as she is off with Drogon. The only time Dany is approached about Pentos she flatly refuses remembering Illyrio and all the good things he did for her including giving her three dragon eggs and would not want to give away his city.

I think she is going to be furious with Selmy when she hears about that deal. No idea if she will follow through with it. I don't think we even know if the Tattered prince accepted.

Archived