theory: Brienne could champion Margaery

complexphoenix

After Margaery is arrested and is considering her options for proving her innocence, much is made of the rule that only a knight of the Kingsguard may champion an accused queen. With Loras dying on Dragonstone, Jaime a cripple, Balon Swann and Arys Oakheart in Dorne and Osmund Kettleblack the brother of her accuser, Margaery is left with Boros Blount and Meryn Trant, neither one of whom is good enough to defeat Osney Kettleblack. Robert Strong is Cersei's creature and cannot be used by Margaery, one presumes.

As of the end of ADWD, Margaery has chosen trial by the Faith, but if the Faith decides to support Aegon they will have every reason to find her guilty, meaning that Margaery may have to use trial by combat in the end anyway. But one thing everyone in KL seems to be forgetting is that Margaery was Renly's queen before she was Tommen's, and Renly had his own Kingsguard.

Of the seven members of the Rainbow Guard, one was Loras, two were slain by Loras after Renly died, and two went over to Stannis and died on the Blackwater. Another, Parmen Crane, was taken captive by Loras according to the wiki and may still be at Highgarden. And the last one was Brienne.

If it comes to it, Brienne could say that she can champion Margaery as one of Renly's seven. (Or the Tyrells could pull Parmen Crane out of GRRM's ass their dungeon, I suppose.) Should the winds of plot blow her back to King's Landing in time, this could work. Obviously the plot could go in a lot of other directions, but I thought someone ought to raise the possibility.

Renly is not recognized as ever having been a legitimate king, his Rainbow Guard was not legitimate, and Margaery has already chosen trial by faith ruling out a trial by combat.

Also, Brienne would need to teleport back to KL in order to champion Marg in anything. The trial will have been long done by the time she could conceivably get there.

I agree, the logistical challenges are almost overwhelming. The Lannisters made a strategic decision to rehabilitate Renly's public image (not too hard, considering he was far more popular than they ever were) but it's questionable whether or not this extends to a grant of legitimacy to his Kingsguard in any form. You could make the argument but it would be easy to rebut unless the Tyrells insisted. The real problem isn't the legality but the logistics -- there's really not that much time for Brienne to dispose of Jaime and Lady Stoneheart and get back to KL and win the trust of the Tyrells to serve as Margaery's champion.

If she really forced a Trial by Combat I don't see why she couldn't use Ser Robert Strong, he's a member of the Kingsguard. Bad luck for Maid Marge that he got that cloak after she decided to go for a Trial by Faith.

Love her, but even with logistical complications aside, I don't even think she's good enough as a fighter tbh

Really?

She won a melee of over a hundred knights, defeating Loras Tyrell in single combat at the end.

She beat Jaime in single combat back when he had two hands. He was chained at the wrist but still one of the best fighters in the realm.

She beat Shagwell, Pyg, and Timeon all at once with only a small assist from Pod.

She beat Rorge in single combat.

She is a very strong fighter, in the top tier of what Westeros has to offer.

If she really forced a Trial by Combat I don't see why she couldn't use Ser Robert Strong, he's a member of the Kingsguard. Bad luck for Maid Marge that he got that cloak after she decided to go for a Trial by Faith.

Robert Strong is Cersei's creature. Margaery realizes Cersei is hoping for a guilty verdict. She won't put her life into the hand's of Cersei's champion. Especially considering the strength of her case now that Cersei also stands accused.

I don't see it. Mace Tyrell, if he's still in power, could validate the Rainbow Guard if he felt it would save his daughter. But he wouldn't feel that Brienne is strong enough, even if he's wrong.

Honestly, with the armies he has, he can ran over the sparrows and make sure a new High Septon declares her innocent.

Really?

She won a melee of over a hundred knights, defeating Loras Tyrell in single combat at the end.

She beat Jaime in single combat back when he had two hands. He was chained at the wrist but still one of the best fighters in the realm.

She beat Shagwell, Pyg, and Timeon all at once with only a small assist from Pod.

She beat Rorge in single combat.

She is a very strong fighter, in the top tier of what Westeros has to offer.

And Brienne was also about to lose to Loras until she pulls a Ser Duncan and tackles him; he had her beat with a sword

Jaime was also emaciated from being in a dungeon for the better part of a year, hadn't practiced in all that time, and had his hands bound.

Renly is not recognized as ever having been a legitimate king, his Rainbow Guard was not legitimate, and Margaery has already chosen trial by faith ruling out a trial by combat.

Also, Brienne would need to teleport back to KL in order to champion Marg in anything. The trial will have been long done by the time she could conceivably get there.

Came to say all of this, but my work has been done.

And Brienne was also about to lose to Loras until she pulls a Ser Duncan and tackles him; he had her beat with a sword

Jaime was also emaciated from being in a dungeon for the better part of a year, hadn't practiced in all that time, and had his hands bound.

You can debate how good she is exactly, but there can be no doubt that she is sufficiently competent to serve as a champion in a trial by combat. Whether she won would depend on her opponent and luck. If matched against a Kettleblack, I expect she'd probably win.

I don't see it happening.

Brienne is a part of the Rainbow guard, but they aren't a legit Kingsguard, they were KG of a rebel.

And Brienne is in the Riverlands in a sticky situation with UnCat and Jaime.

I don't see her returning alive from that.

You can debate how good she is exactly, but there can be no doubt that she is sufficiently competent to serve as a champion in a trial by combat. Whether she won would depend on her opponent and luck. If matched against a Kettleblack, I expect she'd probably win.

Which is what I based my opinion of her not been good enough on. I was talking in regards to a fight against someone like Gregor, I don't think she'd be good enough to beat him. Overall, she's very good and I agree with you on that.

Archived