Indian Politics (Number ? Has there been a thread on this topic before?)

Stan;

How restricted are the Powers of the emergency Chief Minister? Can he sack anyone, for instance, or is that restricted to those who have been elected?

In any case, statements like these:

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction

during a riot, is completely irresponsible from someone who has a position like that, elected or not.

I'm not saying that he said that (first time I hear about it), but if he did, I'd say it makes him unfit to hold office. That goes far beyond slightly incompetent...although, I guess everything is relative.

I confess, I'm not familiar with what kind of standards Indian politicians in office are being measured against.

Misquote. He said- There is a vicious cycle of action and reactuon going on, which needs to be stopped.

It is no dilemma actually.He is sweeping the polls.And besides, he has been exonerated by the courts.

The fact that he is popular makes it no less of a dilemma. In addition, I find it unlikely that the courts did exonerate him from being a nationalist with several authoritarian tendencies. Do the courts in India typically judge the character of a persons political leanings? That seems a wider mandate than what is normally given courts in the rest of the world.

The fact that he is popular makes it no less of a dilemma. In addition, I find it unlikely that the courts did exonerate him from being a nationalist with several authoritarian tendencies. Do the courts in India typically judge the character of a persons political leanings? That seems a wider mandate than what is normally given courts in the rest of the world.

Being a 'nationalist' is not considered to be wrong.

Nor is there any evidence to consider him authoritarian.Hardly a team player,yes.

The courts merely have the power to decide whether someone has done something illegal. It's not illegal to be an authoritarian arsehole, just as Indians are quite entitled to vote for the guy if they want. It's democracy, after all.

It doesn't make Modi any less of an arsehole though.

Modi is the only real choice Indians have. The congress party stands for rampant corruption, aap is led by a populist coward and the other options are truly frightening. Modi is likely to have facilitated the Gujarat riots in the way that western leaders facilitated the rise of nazism and imperial japan through their inaction in the lead up to ww2. However his record since then is pretty good.

Perhaps not, but you claimed that the courts had exonerated him of being "half a stumble away from facism".

The courts merely have the power to decide whether someone has done something illegal. It's not illegal to be an authoritarian arsehole, just as Indians are quite entitled to vote for the guy if they want. It's democracy, after all.

It doesn't make Modi any less of an arsehole though.

No,I said the courts have exonerated him of any involvement in the riots.

Calling a person who spent over two years eveding arrest as a student activist in india's only brief brak with democracy between 1975-1977 and then wrote a book on the dangers of fascism an 'authoritarian arsehole' simply betrays ignorance.

Indian courts don't exactly have a stellar reputation for prosecuting people for communalist riots though...

Calling a person who spent over two years eveding arrest as a student activist in india's only brief brak with democracy between 1975-1977 and then wrote a book on the dangers of fascism an 'authoritarian arsehole' simply betrays ignorance.

I would like to point out that RBPL's words are not my words, and that I would not chose to use some of his description myself.

With that out of the way, what you claim to have said is not seemingly correct.

I wrote this post

I found the comment section of the Economist article linked above to be quite illuminating as to the state of Indian politics.

It's a tough choice though, and I do not envy the Indian's their dilema. Support a clearly inefficient and corrupt regime or vote for a person who is not corrupt and has a seemingly strong economic record, but whom might be a half a stumble away from facism.

And you responded with this

It is no dilemma actually.He is sweeping the polls.And besides, he has been exonerated by the courts.

The only accusation I made towards Modi was that he might be half a stumble away from facism. An accusation the courts have made no judgement on as far as I am aware.

I would like to point out that RBPL's words are not my words, and that I would not chose to use some of his description myself.

With that out of the way, what you claim to have said is not seemingly correct.

I wrote this post

And you responded with this

The only accusation I made towards Modi was that he might be half a stumble away from facism. An accusation the courts have made no judgement on as far as I am aware.

Apologies.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, the only surprise here is how strongly they swept in to power. Lots of folks (including myself) were expecting a third front to minimize the BJP wave, but they didn't do shit. They have a clear majority and a mandate to boot. Let's hope they use it well.

Archived