News on Dunk&Egg

Night's_King

Curiously enough, the first three novellas were published in a book earlier this year in Brazil.

Wonder why it hasn't yet in english. Maybe George wants to hold on to it a bit more so he'll have stuff to publish between TWOIAF and TWOW?

Same here in Germany. But most of the anthologies aren't available in German language. Guess that's the point why we have the stories in one book.

If you read that entire article it says that the first three have already been published together in certain countries because they published them without all of the artwork. The US and Brit versions will be full of artwork, that's what they are waiting on.

How about he abandons these side-show projects and focus on the asoiaf series? I don't understand how in interviews he suggests that he's under pressure to get the books finished, but then he still insists on these...

While he's at it, I reckon he should finish my end of term reports and send me handwritten manuscripts. Frankly, I can't understand the people who disagree with the idea that he should be locked in a dungeon and only given a kilojoule of food for every word he writes until he is finished.

While he's at it, I reckon he should finish my end of term reports and send me handwritten manuscripts. Frankly, I can't understand the people who disagree with the idea that he should be locked in a dungeon and only given a kilojoule of food for every word he writes until he is finished.

And the floggings! Don't forget the floggings!

At the end of the first Blackfyre Rebellion, the victorious Targaryens needed to take a stance on how to treat the large amount of Lords that supported Daemon Blackfyre. Daeron II got to choose from two alternatives. One advocated by BR was that the Blackfyre supporters should be treated harshly. He wanted to see them heavily punished (as a good example see tSS and how the Osgrey family got punished). An other alternative was offered by Baelor. He wanted to be leniant and show of the Targaryens benevolence.

Sadly, Daeron II was persuaded by BR and the repression of Blackfyre supporters was harsh. This created a lot of revanchist feelings from this group, and is the reason why the Blackfyres were such a threat for all those years, because their supportbasis was always ready to rise a new (even today the GC still has friends in the Reach). If Baelor policy had been enforced they could have quelled these revanchist feelings. And instead of creating an open wound that still festers to this day, the Realm would have made a large step towards healing.

Actually, Baelor's plan was chosen by Daeron II, which was to show leniency and accept hostages from the houses that fought with Daemon.

My dreams for The Winds of Winter coming next spring have faded fast. Had the novella been a simple re-publishing it would give me hopes of TWoW being released in the same year. Now it's hard to imagine TWoW coming out next year after this news. I feel like the plan is for the novella with new artwork to bide some time for GRRM. GRRM can continue working on TWoW, since he wouldn't need to be too involved with this project, and the publishers still have something somewhat new in the ASOIAF universe available.

My dreams for The Winds of Winter coming next spring have faded fast. Had the novella been a simple re-publishing it would give me hopes of TWoW being released in the same year. Now it's hard to imagine TWoW coming out next year after this news. I feel like the plan is for the novella with new artwork to bide some time for GRRM. GRRM can continue working on TWoW, since he wouldn't need to be too involved with this project, and the publishers still have something somewhat new in the ASOIAF universe available.

I really hope it doesn't have any effect on winds...

• 1 month later...

Do you guys think that eventually there will be a single book containing all the Dunk & Egg novellas? I'd rather own one big book containing all the stories than have more books with 3 stories in them. I haven't read any of these stories yet and I do not mind waiting for a single volume, but do you think there will be a book like that? One big book with all the Tales of Dunk & Egg (perhaps a nice collector's edition)? :)

Do you guys think that eventually there will be a single book containing all the Dunk & Egg novellas? I'd rather own one big book containing all the stories than have more books with 3 stories in them. I haven't read any of these stories yet and I do not mind waiting for a single volume, but do you think there will be a book like that? One big book with all the Tales of Dunk & Egg (perhaps a nice collector's edition)? :)

I wouldn't be surprised if Martin eventually collects them all someday, but that day is a long, long way off. We're not getting the fourth story until after Winds of Winter and considering that he's said he wants to do anywhere from 9 to 12 stories in total, I can't imagine him finishing them all until long after the main series is done.

That being said, if you haven't read any of them, I highly recommend buying the edition that's coming out next year. The stories are great and it's going to have a lot of original artwork as well.

Archived