News on Dunk&Egg

Night's_King

So, here the News.

GRRM has appearently two D&E-Tales in his head. The She-Wolves of Winterfell and The Village Hero (both are working titles).

They won't be coming out before Winds.

The Novellas will be published in books. The plan is three novellas per book. The first three novellas will be in a book called A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. GRRM hopes that it will be published in 2015 and it will have artwork in it.

Movies or a series is not planned but could happen in the future.

Thoughts?

How about he abandons these side-show projects and focus on the asoiaf series? I don't understand how in interviews he suggests that he's under pressure to get the books finished, but then he still insists on these...

I know it was never meant to be, but it always makes me sad to hear GRRM say that the "the She-Wolves of WF" is not going to be the title for the 4th D&E novella.

I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the news. At first I thought that he was announcing a publicationdate for the 4th one, but then fear seized my heart and I thought he would announce that he would quite the series. I'm glad we know have some clarity about this.

Also, we're really being spoiled here. I mean in one year we got tPatQ, The King's brother, three new tWoW sample chapters and an update on D&E? Who knows we might even get an update on tWoW soon.

How about he abandons these side-show projects and focus on the asoiaf series? I don't understand how in interviews he suggests that he's under pressure to get the books finished, but then he still insists on these...

Neither are coming out before TWoW, so that's something. Also, GRRM is not your bitch.

He is a writer. He probably has a lot more ideas in his mind, but he has to restrict himself to the world of Ice and Fire and editing a few anthologies.

And the D&E-Tales are just awesome and interesting.

I know it was never meant to be, but it always makes me sad to hear GRRM say that the "the She-Wolves of WF" is not going to be the title for the 4th D&E novella.

I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised by the news. At first I thought that he was announcing a publicationdate for the 4th one, but then fear seized my heart and I thought he would announce that he would quite the series. I'm glad we know have some clarity about this.

Also, we're really being spoiled here. I mean in one year we got tPatQ, The King's brother, three new tWoW sample chapters and an update on D&E? Who knows we might even get an update on tWoW soon.

That was exactly my reaction while reading!

Film and television rights to the characters and the three published Dunk & Egg stories remain with me at present... but HBO, when acquiring the rights to the SONG OF ICE & FIRE novels, also acquired film and television rights to the world of Westeros. So if we did Dunk & Egg with anyone else, we would need to remove all the references to House Targaryen, the Iron Throne, etc... not completely impossible, but certainly undesireable. Whereas if HBO decided they wanted to make a Dunk & Egg miniseries or TV movies, they'd first need to buy the stories. That's a much more attractive proposition for all concerned, I think... but if it happens, it will happen years from now, not tomorrow, and not next week.

very interesting

For one thing She Wolves isn't even supposed to be published until after TWOW so George is clearly focusing on TWOW right now. As previously noted he's also a writer who has plenty of ideas and he has every right to spend time on other project. As much as I am upset about the fact that the show will surpass the books I accept the fact that George can write whatever he wants.

Keep in mind that the Dunk and Egg stories are in the ASOIAF universe and have given great background information to the main series which have enriched the books immensely. Instead of complaining about George writing material for the ASOIAF universe you should enjoy the material that he produces (as long as they are still high quality works of course).

I just read The Hedge Knight yesterday evening for the first time, and I'm reading the Sworn Sword probably later tonite after the show. I really like this tale so far. Loved the trial by seven. I thought it was a tad unrealistic that Maeker would give Egg to a hedge knight he hardly knows and let him wonder all over Westeros, but hey, suspicious decisions are often what makes a good story. Can't wait to see where they go from here. ;)

For one thing She Wolves isn't even supposed to be published until after TWOW so George is clearly focusing on TWOW right now. As previously noted he's also a writer who has plenty of ideas and he has every right to spend time on other project. As much as I am upset about the fact that the show will surpass the books I accept the fact that George can write whatever he wants.

Keep in mind that the Dunk and Egg stories are in the ASOIAF universe and have given great background information to the main series which have enriched the books immensely. Instead of complaining about George writing material for the ASOIAF universe you should enjoy the material that he produces (as long as they are still high quality works of course).

Will the show surpass the books? I'm not sure. I think we have enough material left right now to get us through season 6, if they drag it out a bit. And I've heard rumors that tWOW is going to be very long [maybe in the 1100 to 1300 pages range, so that book alone could make up 2 seasons, which could give enough time for the last book to come out. I agree it will be a close call, but he might just make it. :)

I just read The Hedge Knight yesterday evening for the first time, and I'm reading the Sworn Sword probably later tonite after the show. I really like this tale so far. Loved the trial by seven. I thought it was a tad unrealistic that Maeker would give Egg to a hedge knight he hardly knows and let him wonder all over Westeros, but hey, suspicious decisions are often what makes a good story. Can't wait to see where they go from here. ;)

Now that it's still fresh in your memory I'd like to say two thing ;)

1) Baelor Breakspear was the greatest Targaryen

2) Maekar is basically Stannis avant la lettre

Now that it's still fresh in your memory I'd like to say two thing ;)

2) Maekar is basically Stannis avant la letter

Yes, in the back of my mind I was thinking maybe Baelor will be the 7th fighter for Dunk, but I was like "nah, he's a good guy, but he won't go that far" and sure enough, there he was! And as soon as Dunk noted that Baelor was slurring his words and probably 'bit his tongue' I knew was going to die. I figured he had either a bad neck or head injury. Sad to see him go, but his death was a big part of what made the story powerful.

As it stated at the beginning of his Not a Blog post, he isnt working on these until after Winds. Getting ideas in your head doesnot mean working on that material.

OT:

:D is basically me right now. Dunk and Egg is great. I too amvdisappointed the She Wolves wont be the actual title, but I suppose the titlesbare all supposed to refer to Dunk. Ibwould hardly call him a She Wolf :lol: The riverlands sounds good to me, heres hoping the village is Pennytree :p

Needless to say, i will be buying Knight of the Seven Kingdoms when it is released

Will the show surpass the books? I'm not sure. I think we have enough material left right now to get us through season 6, if they drag it out a bit. And I've heard rumors that tWOW is going to be very long [maybe in the 1100 to 1300 pages range, so that book alone could make up 2 seasons, which could give enough time for the last book to come out. I agree it will be a close call, but he might just make it. :)

The show creators can't stretch out ADWD and AFFC too long. Not enough happens in the books that translates well over to the show, I mean you can't have Brienne traveling around for two seasons. Plus characters like Theon and Bran are or are getting close to having their ADWD storylines on the show.

Plus Arya kind of had her TWOW chapter portrayed on the past episode

The show will start to hit on TWOW storylines next season in my opinion. There is also the issue of the show only running for seven, possibly eight seasons. The creators will need as much time as possible to properly wrap up the story.

Edit: I (and the mods I believe) don't want this thread to turn into another discussion of whether or not the show will surpass the books so we should probably just leave it at that

This with the possible exception of Daemon Targaryan (though he's certainly not a good person like Baelor) or Bloodraven if he counts.

As it stated at the beginning of his Not a Blog post, he isnt working on these until after Winds. Getting ideas in your head doesnot mean working on that material.

OT:

:D is basically me right now. Dunk and Egg is great. I too amvdisappointed the She Wolves wont be the actual title, but I suppose the titlesbare all supposed to refer to Dunk. Ibwould hardly call him a She Wolf :lol: The riverlands sounds good to me, heres hoping the village is Pennytree :P

Needless to say, i will be buying Knight of the Seven Kingdoms when it is released

You never know :p perhaps Dunk goes undercover as a Stark widow :cool4:

This with the possible exception of Daemon Targaryan (though he's certainly not a good person like Baelor) or Bloodraven if he counts.

Breakspear was better than Bloodraven.

His policy on how to deal with the supporters of the Black Dragon would have neutralized the Blackfyre's appeal and softened the resolve of their followers. Instead of growing into the cancer that has been plagueing Westeros for so long he might have worked towards reconcilliation. Sadly BR policy was chosen and the Blackfyre conflict never truly got resolved.

And he's certainly better than Daemon. The man had a penchant for making enemies and he did not really care for the common people as far as we see in tPatQ. Baelor would have been a better King for all.

Archived