[Book & Show Spoilers] Season 4 is unsatisfying for me so far

jaimecersei

This forum has gone bouncing off the wall about the show on this topic for 4 seasons now, we always come back to the same point, for the show haters, solution, it's easy, just don't watch it!

(That's a cliche by now.)

Lol you just completely ignored the last part of the sentence, talking about being allowed to critique the show. Why is one able to praise things to no end but not point of valid criticisms? It seems like a double standard.

Lol you just completely ignored the last part of the sentence, talking about being allowed to critique the show. Why is one able to praise things to no end but not point of valid criticisms? It seems like a double standard.

Yes, I have to agree with you. It's possible to like the show and still have complaints about it.

Yes, I have to agree with you. It's possible to like the show and still have complaints about it.

Absolutely. I criticise this show a huge amount, and some things make me so annoyed I want to stop watching, but it's because I have such high hopes for this show, and because it's proven it can be excellent in the past (season 1) that I keep watching. It's still very entertaining to watch and talk about, and I feel that if I hadn't read the books I would love this show without any complaint. Alas, I have read the source material so it really dulls my appreciation for the show. I get annoyed at things I normally wouldn't.

But overall it's still very entertaining and I watch it every week, so I dunno.

It's the repetition the same complaints with good analysis that is tiresome.

Really does make one wonder why the complainers do watch, just to complain?

By the by, New York Times Arts Beat Bloger Jeremy Enger, does like the show, I wonder if he ever talks to Mike Hale?

Absolutely. I criticise this show a huge amount, and some things make me so annoyed I want to stop watching, but it's because I have such high hopes for this show, and because it's proven it can be excellent in the past (season 1) that I keep watching. It's still very entertaining to watch and talk about, and I feel that if I hadn't read the books I would love this show without any complaint. Alas, I have read the source material so it really dulls my appreciation for the show. I get annoyed at things I normally wouldn't.

I read the books after watching the first season, so the first season shaped some of my initial impressions of what I read in the books, and thus i might not be quite as bothered by some of the changes--especially since it's been three years since I read the books and I don't always recall the details. I didn't remember, for instance, that Jamie arrived in KL after the Purple Wedding, or that the Hound took the wound that killed him from infection in the fight at the inn. I do recall, however, that he died, and I keep wondering if it's going to happen or not (I was wondering when it was going to happen until someone reminded me of how it happened in the books). I generally find books better than their TV or movie adaptations, but I recognize that somethings might need to be changed for a different medium or for lack of time. I liked the scene in the series where Tywin gives us insight into his character plus some history of previous kings without seeming like improbably exposition, by quizzing Tommen about what it takes to be a good king. I liked that change, but generally, in so far as can recall, I don't generally like the changes from the book--King of Qarth?--and I gave up on the IMDb GOT boards because there fans of the show attack anyone who doesn't like changes from the book. I actually read one person there who said that the show was better than the books, that he hated the books, and that he would never read the books. So I came here hoping that it would be okay to dislike some of the changes from the books or other elements of the show. I enjoy a nice, pleasant conversation about what we like don't like in the show. My best friend and I spent the Saturday night after the first episode of the season talking about the show for hours, but I think he remembers the books even less than I do, plus he hasn't even read A Dance With Dragons--although his wife, a big Jon fan, spoiled the end for him, which means I can talk about it without doing the spoiling myself. :lmao:

I would think, in any case, that even if someone hadn't read the books, that he or she might not like everything in the show. Even my absolute favorite books, TV series and movies have somethings I didn't like. Nothing's perfect. :)

The thing is that for book readers, once you start watching is hard to stop. I started reading the books years before the show, and purposely managed to stay away from the show for the first 2 seasons exactly because I've been burned by adaptations many times before. When I caved in, I was so pleasantly surprised because season 1 was very good.

I think the show is a mixed bag though, that goes from excellent to mediocre. Some stuff is frustrating for book readers, and I think there's nothing wrong in venting it (although the OP seems to hate the show way more than I do, I don't think I would ever write such a long post on something I hate, but hey to each their own :P )

The thing is that for book readers, once you start watching is hard to stop. I started reading the books years before the show, and purposely managed to stay away from the show for the first 2 seasons exactly because I've been burned by adaptations many times before. When I caved in, I was so pleasantly surprised because season 1 was very good.

I think the show is a mixed bag though, that goes from excellent to mediocre. Some stuff is frustrating for book readers, and I think there's nothing wrong in venting it (although the OP seems to hate the show way more than I do, I don't think I would ever write such a long post on something I hate, but hey to each their own :P )

I know what you mean. I would have been happier if I'd quit watching the Peter Jacksass movies once I saw in Fellowship of My Bling that he had Aragorn "turn aside from the destiny." I'm not watching another DC Comics superzero movie either until such times as Warner replaces Nolan, Goyim and Snidely--assuming I even live that long. So I feel for you. In my case, since I watched the first season before reading the books, I had the generally pleasant experience of going from good to better, although i did stop reading the books for a week after the Red Wedding with the intention of not picking them up again. I'm glad I did, but they were at times a long and depressing slog, which is why I'm hesitant to read them again, despite the fact that I've forgotten all sorts of things--which, ironically, probably makes me like the series better. :D I agree with your assessment that the show has been a mixed bag, from excellent to mediocre.

I didn't read the entirety of the original poster's post because it was so long, but responded essentially to the first paragraph or so, mostly to say that while I didn't love the second episode, I had different problems with it, that said more about me than about the episode, and that I loved the first episode. I thought the third episode fell somewhere in the middle. My frequent posts to this board in the last week or so testify in part to the fact that the current season has rekindled my interest in the story, and in party to some of the people here who have given such great responses and made this board, rather than IMDb, my go-to for GOT discussion. :-)

The only aspect of s4 that I am really unhappy with is the Jaime and Cersei storyline. The show is not(so far) showing the progression of Jaime's character that I enjoyed in the books. I am hoping they are able to get his character on the same track. I hated seeing him still pining after Cersei so much, without recognizing her faults as he does in the books. I want to see him spurn her!!!!

The only aspect of s4 that I am really unhappy with is the Jaime and Cersei storyline. The show is not(so far) showing the progression of Jaime's character that I enjoyed in the books. I am hoping they are able to get his character on the same track. I hated seeing him still pining after Cersei so much, without recognizing her faults as he does in the books. I want to see him spurn her!!!!

I'm with you there 100%, Snows Queen. :)

And I reserve the right to complain about the complainers.

OK. But then it's a never ending complain about complaining because I could for instance start complaining about the people complaining about people complaining... See? I think it's easier to well, let it go.

To be honest I just want more critics to come around to their senses about how POS the writing for this show really is. I LOVE how much of an uproar the jaime/cersei scene caused among major fucking publications and critics. Hopefully they just start realizing that the writing is just BAD at this point.

OK. But then it's a never ending complain about complaining because I could for instance start complaining about the people complaining about people complaining... See? I think it's easier to well, let it go.

It's true, and it will go on.

It can't get more obvious that Olenna was in on Joffrey's death.

Seriously, I realize I'm not Unsullied, but who ELSE could it have been??

I kinda want to slap Unsullied when they're confused about things I think are clear.

The Viper was nowhere near Joffrey's cup. (Did he invisibly fly 40 feet, drop the poison in, and fly back?) It could only have been Olenna, Tyrion (who we know didn't do it), Sansa (who also clearly didn't do it), Tywin, and Cersei.

To those who complain about the foolish changes from the books:

The Thenns are two dimensional on the show? Here are some two dimensional characters in the books: Tywin, Stannis, Cersei, Roose Bolton, Shae, Varys. The show has made all of these characters three dimensional. (Shae's third dimension is "sulking.")

The show has improved Littlefinger from scheming climber from The Fingers, to scheming climber from Ire-Scot-Ameri-France-Australia.

The show ditched the makeup wearing "Bloody Mummers," starring lisping Vargo Hoat. And I think we're all fine with that.

The show is not spending more time with Bran learning to talk to trees. Good. I've already read The Once and Future King. No need for a sequel.

I agree with some complaints. The "chase" of Sansa in season 4 episode 1 was horrible. Shae is annoying, Dany's plotline is plodding. Littlefinger's accent is The Whitman's Sampler of dialects. And I have no idea why they made Jaime rape Cersei, only to say, "It became consensual," which makes me think the producers don't know what "consensual" means.

I'm glad they don't have a Walking Dead style show, where we focus on one character the whole time, and there's some "heavy" lesson we learn each episode, like, "We're ALL just zombies, man. Think about it. Just numb creatures just walking around. Yeah, man..." (Critics of GOT should take care to compare to Walking Dead - Talk about bad dialogue - how many times does THAT show hit you over the head? We had at least 5 "human survivors are no better than zombies" messages just from this past season - Governor staggering along, Bob staggering along, Rick biting the guy, Carl "I'm a monster" and Terminus ppl eating humans.)

If I had to sit through an "all Bran talking to a tree" or "all Dany preaching about slavery" for 55 minutes, I'd dracarys my TV.

I still love the show. To do justice (90% of the time) to such a sweeping world is nothing short of amazing.

Archived