[Book & Show Spoilers] Season 4 is unsatisfying for me so far

jaimecersei

4x07: Daario entreats Dany to allow him to do what he does best. :stillsick: I think it could mean other things, but Clarke's expressions in 4x03 are so thirsty.

Benioff and Weiss will probably make him a lousy lover. So it's probably going be something else.

There was also a lot of speculation about it being Esme Blanco and cynics claimed her refusal to do nude scenes was why she was killed off.

I'm not the type that just rip on David and Dan, I'm actually fine with every change they have done in the show. But I really believe (or at least highly suspect) that's the reason she got killed off. Last we saw her T and A was back in season 1 and she never went nude again.

Benioff and Weiss will probably make him a lousy lover. So it's probably going be something else.

I highly doubt we'll get the "he took her in every way a man can take a woman" amount of detail to the scene, so I won't really blame them. It's hard to show someone being a great lover on screen, since we lack the internal thoughts of the participants.

I'm not the type that just rip on David and Dan, I'm actually fine with every change they have done in the show. But I really believe (or at least highly suspect) that's the reason she got killed off. Last we saw her T and A was back in season 1 and she never went nude again.

She took her shirt off in the finale of Season 2 when talking to Varys.

There will be a sex scene, with nudity, and I have a feeling it will be this season. Get ready for the Daario looooove. Yeah, baby.

That's why I'm so glad they've recast Daario. I find the new one really hot, so a part of me is looking forward to it :laugh:

That's why I'm so glad they've recast Daario. I find the new one really hot, so a part of me is looking forward to it :laugh:

I know, I'm looking forward to it, but at the same time telling myself it will suck, because they make everything I looked forward to suck. I have no hope for anything anymore.

I know, I'm looking forward to it, but at the same time telling myself it will suck, because they make everything I looked forward to suck. I have no hope for anything anymore.

I have very little hope either, but Dany's arc last season was good. Along with Jaime/Brienne (which they ruined this season obviously), Dany was the highlight of season 3, so I'm hoping that because d&d seem to love her- contrary to the likes of Jaime and Sansa, they'll at least get her storyline right.

I have very little hope either, but Dany's arc last season was good. Along with Jaime/Brienne (which they ruined this season obviously), Dany was the highlight of season 3, so I'm hoping that because d&d seem to love her- contrary to the likes of Jaime and Sansa, they'll at least get her storyline right.

The problem with D&D loving Dany a lot is that that doesn't necessarily mean they'll get the story right, since most of her A Dance With Dragons storyline is how she fails to rule Meereen properly and is letting her childish infatuation with Daario consume her and affect how she does things. Since D&D really like her and have whitewashed other characters they like (Tyrion), it wouldn't surprise me if they make her attraction to Daario more "reasonable" (they've already partly done that by getting rid of his eccentric look) and making it seem that she is ruling Meereen very well, but it's the mean and evil slavers that make her do everything wrong, not her own morals and judgement (which made for a much more interesting storyline).

I may be completely wrong though, and D&D may start showing her ineptitude this season (those lines she had in the trailers reeked of arrogance and smugness, so we'll see). I'll happily retract my assumptions if this is the case, though.

The problem with D&D loving Dany a lot is that that doesn't necessarily mean they'll get the story right, since most of her A Dance With Dragons storyline is how she fails to rule Meereen properly and is letting her childish infatuation with Daario consume her and affect how she does things. Since D&D really like her and have whitewashed other characters they like (Tyrion), it wouldn't surprise me if they make her attraction to Daario more "reasonable" (they've already partly done that by getting rid of his eccentric look) and making it seem that she is ruling Meereen very well, but it's the mean and evil slavers that make her do everything wrong, not her own morals and judgement (which made for a much more interesting storyline).

I may be completely wrong though, and D&D may start showing her ineptitude this season (those lines she had in the trailers reeked of arrogance and smugness, so we'll see). I'll happily retract my assumptions if this is the case, though.

The thing is, as much as Dany's infatuation with Daario annoyed me while I was reading, I didn't think it was "unreasonable", and actually much part of her character growth i.e. he's someone she chooses for herself by herself. I am a bit scared that they won't convey how much she struggles as a ruler, which would be a shame as it was the one actual interesting bit of her adwd chapters. It's more interesting to see her fail and learn from it, than being perfect.

But yeah, you're right, I probably shouldn't get my hopes up :laugh:

Yeah, they're too stupid NOT to whitewash her. They'll do exactly as you said.

Oh, and I'm not sure why people are excited about the new Daario. The old one looked better. New one looks like a rat.

I don't buy this "whitewash" concept, but the Foreshadowing video had Clarke explaining that we'll find out this season what happens when you leave cities you liberate without any kind of structure. We also have that line "How can I rule 7 Kingdoms if I can't control a single city?" and she starts holding court in 4x06, which boils down to her morals and judgments.

I can very easily see Tv!Dany falling on her face in Meereen, just like the book.

Honestly, I think most of you are too cynical of what D&D are doing with the show. Almost all the changes they have made have benefited the adaptation rather than made it worse, such as Talisa (Westerling was too much of a "huh?" moment for TV) and Tywin and Arya (to better introduce Tywin and his increased significance. I'm optimistic that we will see Dany failing as a ruler.

Honestly, I think most of you are too cynical of what D&D are doing with the show. Almost all the changes they have made have benefited the adaptation rather than made it worse, such as Talisa (Westerling was too much of a "huh?" moment for TV) and Tywin and Arya (to better introduce Tywin and his increased significance. I'm optimistic that we will see Dany failing as a ruler.

No, most of the changes they have made have been bad or have diminished the characters or made them white washed or over simplified.

Also, book wise, Dany should ALREADY be failing. She should have discovered Jorah was a spy, her slaves should be starving and instead the show has continued with Khaleesi winning at everything n being badass when really ASOS has already changed tone significantly by this point. Its basically been Dany and her brave loyal companions taking the forces of evil on. In the show the regular slaves do not spontaneously rise up at her encouragement. Instead Jorah n Barristan free the pit fighters and only when victory is certain to the slaves vent their rage at the slavers.

Plus I don't see how cutting Jorahs ASOS story out can be considered a better adaptation of the character for TV. If they're willing to have Jamie rape Cersei and demolish his redemption arc at a stroke then I fail to see why they should avoid Dany and Jorah falling out because he kisses her. Dysfunctional and tense or failings relationships are hardly new to TV. Good example is obviously breaking bad n Walts traumatic relations with Jessie and Skyler.

Judging from the trailers I have a creeping suspicion that they are going to make Dany adopting her ADWD more appeasement like attitude and even decision to stay in Meereen to another character to deflect the blame. ie Jorah in trailer "its tempting to see your enemies as evil" probably refers to her being harsh on the slavers when a big point of ADWD is that she is vacilating and not strong enough fighting the slavers.

That didn't help them get it right in season 2, did it.

No, most of the changes they have made have been bad or have diminished the characters or made them white washed or over simplified.

And I think the opposite. But the truth, or as objective as we can get, is probably somewhere in the middle. If you look at the 'Book vs Show Characters' thread below, most fans that posted show a healthy number of characters they find better in the show. 50:50 looks a very fair representation of that straw poll. Which is a pretty good hit-rate imo considering the challenges this adaptation brings.

And I think the opposite. But the truth, or as objective as we can get, is probably somewhere in the middle. If you look at the 'Book vs Show Characters' thread below, most fans that posted show a healthy number of characters they find better in the show. 50:50 looks a very fair representation of that straw poll. Which is a pretty good hit-rate imo considering the challenges this adaptation brings.

Well you know, Sparky, I come from the perspective that they need a good reason to change the books--but that's not an impossible standard to meet. Ruining the whole redemption of Jamie, one of the best parts of the books, with a scene having him rape Cersei obviously doesn't meet the standard. Having Tywin use the socratic method to teach Tommen how to be a good king, as a device to give us both more history of Westros and more insight into how Tywin thinks, does meet the standard.

It's been three years since I read the books anyway, so other than major plot twists, I end pretty much every episode wanting to know what they changed from the books. :D

"Sparky" but the way, is a reference to a different TV show, in case anyone wonders where I got it. It's just a hat tip to Daske. :)

The thing is, as much as Dany's infatuation with Daario annoyed me while I was reading, I didn't think it was "unreasonable", and actually much part of her character growth i.e. he's someone she chooses for herself by herself. I am a bit scared that they won't convey how much she struggles as a ruler, which would be a shame as it was the one actual interesting bit of her adwd chapters. It's more interesting to see her fail and learn from it, than being perfect.

But yeah, you're right, I probably shouldn't get my hopes up :laugh:

I saw Danaerys pretty much that way too. She seemed in such an untenable situation in Meerschaum, City of Pipes, that no matter what she did the whole house of cards was going to collapse on her. I think though that it will be good experience for putting together a winning coalition with Jon and Aegon when she finally gets to Westros. In another book. Or two. Or three. :-D

Archived