Nymeria's Role in tWoW

Uldra I

with a soldier's attitude towards killing.

No. Lol. She doesn't have a soldiers attitude. She could give a shit about honor. I am simply confused as to where people have this opinion of Arya from. Is it some fan fiction ideology that has taken root. I don't see this confused girl who is lost in the world. I see a girl who has always had a wild mentality having her skills honed in a way she's always wanted. She's going to be whirlwind of death.

Why would she kill Daeron?

I don't think anybody could kill anyone in these books. Arya, in my mind, is the type of girl who would smother a child to stop her crying instead of being found. On the flip side, Ned would stand guard over the child and die to protect it. That is the difference in Arya. She may not take pleasure in it, but she'd do it.

first of all, she executed Daeron for desertion. Second of all, where on earth would you get the idea that she'd smother a baby? If anything, she kill the one who smothered the baby.

No. Lol. She doesn't have a soldiers attitude. She could give a shit about honor. I am simply confused as to where people have this opinion of Arya from. Is it some fan fiction ideology that has taken root. I don't see this confused girl who is lost in the world. I see a girl who has always had a wild mentality having her skills honed in a way she's always wanted. She's going to be whirlwind of death.

a soldier's attitude towards killing mean the killing is justified. again, show me where she's killed someone she didn't justify killing. Don't say Daeron because i've answered you above.

first of all, she executed Daeron for desertion. Second of all, where on earth would you get the idea that she'd smother a baby? If anything, she kill the one who smothered the baby.

Lol, we read a completely different character. Arya, above all, is a survivor. She will survive. If she wouldn't smother the baby, she'd abandon it, but that equates to the same thing.

a soldier's attitude towards killing mean the killing is justified. again, show me where she's killed someone she didn't justify killing. Don't say Daeron because i've answered you above.

She had no reason to execute Daeron. So he abandoned the wall? She did it because she could and she believed he deserved it. Most other people wouldn't have even bothered with the man She killed the stableboy because he tried to stop her from retrieving needle. If that justifies a sword in the gut, oh well.

I never said she wouldn't avenge a death, did I? I just said she'll cause a death just as easily. I mean, we could banter about it all day, but some out there believe her to be a good-hearted killer. I am definitely not one of them. The girl is an assassin, and she'll kill who she needs to kill to survive. She'll even go out of her way to kill those she wants to kill. She proved that with the stable boy and with the guard at Harrenhall. She'll prove it again.

Anyone in the books could kill anyone that they want, that's beside the point. "Would they?" is what I thought we were talking about here,

Why?

Can we please try to talk about Nymeria's role? If a post does not mention Nymeria in any way it is off topic.

Ned would have killed Daeron had he been there.

when has Arya ever killed an innocent? there's just no proof. you're ascribing qualities you want to ascribe in the absence of any proof.

The guard could be construed as innocent. How about the old insurance salesman? Anyways, let's get back on topic.

Why?

Can we please try to talk about Nymeria's role? If a post does not mention Nymeria in any way it is off topic.

Do you think Nymeria still protects the Stark family? She killed the brave companions from Harrenhall who were chasing Arya.

As I said a Frey fallacy.....

Lol, in ASOS, while warged into Summer, Bran dreams of Grey Wind's death.

The next chapter, Jon dreams of a bloody grey direwolf with "sad golden eyes" I believe. At the time, he assumed it was Summer.

Grey is dead. Sorry.

Lol, in ASOS, while warged into Summer, Bran dreams of Grey Wind's death.

The next chapter, Jon dreams of a bloody grey direwolf with "sad golden eyes" I believe. At the time, he assumed it was Summer.

Grey is dead. Sorry.

Do me a favour please reference those chapters...Thanks

The only reference I can find is Bran4 ASOS (Nightfort) and it is not definitive...."If he never talked about it maybe he could forget he ever dreamed it, and then it wouldn't have happened and Robb and Grey Wind would still be...."

Oh, got to remember to say something about Nymeria to keep it on thread...Any body have an answer for me on why Nymeria would allow Raff the Sweetling to traverse her territory with Grell and Ryger with impunity?

Do me a favour please reference those chapters...Thanks

The only reference I can find is Bran4 ASOS (Nightfort) and it is not definitive...."If he never talked about it maybe he could forget he ever dreamed it, and then it wouldn't have happened and Robb and Grey Wind would still be...."

Oh, got to remember to say something about Nymeria to keep it on thread...Any body have an answer for me on why Nymeria would allow Raff the Sweetling to traverse her territory with Grell and Ryger with impunity?

Interesting question. Maybe she was simply too far away at the time?

Interesting question. Maybe she was simply too far away at the time?

Conidering the night before Nymeria and her pack made mincemeat of Sir Dermot's troop I would think it unlikely....seems she is watching the Lannister encampment and ambushing those go out "ranging" (for lack of better term)

The guard could be construed as innocent. How about the old insurance salesman? Anyways, let's get back on topic.

the guard was an armed enemy combatant in a time of war that stood in her way to freedom. while i doubt that she would kill a baby to attain her freedom, she would kill an armed guard.

as far as Nymeria goes, Arya isn't Nymeria, nor was Grey Wind Robb, nor Ghost Jon. The Direwolves are wild animals capable of killing with impunity.

Ah, but Grey Wind is not dead ...that is a Frey fallacy...yes he was feathered many times and probably is greviously wounded however he was freed from the net by Raynauld Westerling...I believe both of them dove off the walkwalk into the river... why else would there be "Lady is dead and Grey Wind MAYBE"...paraphasing from a Jon chapter from ADWD...

Getting back to Nymeria and my above scenario...her home ground is Darry since she was driven off by Arya...there is a godswood in Darry...Darry is close to the Trident...her ranging to Maidenpool is very possible considering she has travelled as far as the Twins...

futhering my above scenario I'm suggesting not only does make contact with Arya/Sansa/the Gravedigger but also the Blackfish/R Westerling/the Brotherhood to lay waste to the Freys of the Twins and Riverrun.....

What confuses me is how Nymeria and her pack allowed Raff and a dozen Lannister men to cross her territory unscathed as the Lannnnisters were detailed to deliver Desmond Grell and Robin Ryger to Maidenpool for futherance to the Wall....

Now I KNOW it's Alzheimer's! :crying: I was so sure you are wrong about Grey Wind that I've spent my whole morning searching the text to see where it said they sewed Grey Wind's head to Robb. Can't find it. Gerg Sknab, you just blew my mind! Definitely must have more book/show soup going on in my head than I thought. Can anyone out there find proof in the books that Grey Wind is dead? I really tried. Not trying to prove you wrong ser, just gotta find out if I really could have misremembered so badly. :eek: Thanks for pointing it out. :)

She had no reason to execute Daeron. So he abandoned the wall? She did it because she could and she believed he deserved it. Most other people wouldn't have even bothered with the man She killed the stableboy because he tried to stop her from retrieving needle. If that justifies a sword in the gut, oh well.

I never said she wouldn't avenge a death, did I? I just said she'll cause a death just as easily. I mean, we could banter about it all day, but some out there believe her to be a good-hearted killer. I am definitely not one of them. The girl is an assassin, and she'll kill who she needs to kill to survive. She'll even go out of her way to kill those she wants to kill. She proved that with the stable boy and with the guard at Harrenhall. She'll prove it again.

To me Arya's story is one of the most tragic... a very young girl, who through circumstance, becomes so jaded that she's willing to kill at all. The big trouble with her is that she is so young and deciding to be judge, jury, and executioner all in one is leading her to kill people she shouldn't. She shows no 'Mercy'. The kindly man at the House of Black and White, is trying to teach her not to do that, but then I question why they should assume they have the supreme privilege to be judge, jury, and executioner. At least it seems to me that Arya's murders have either been of necessity for survival or because she believes her victims to be guilty of terrible wrongs. Not for profit; unlike the FM.

Back to why her story seems so sad to me... it does seem as though she has lost her conscience a bit. Not completely, but enough not to even question her motives for killing. It seems we're witnessing a child's heart turn to ICE. :frown5:

Archived