Nymeria's Role in tWoW

Uldra I

Good thoughts on Nymeria and her wolf pack moving north - Bran through Summer may be calling the she-wolf, and Bran is making his presence known in Arya's dreams. The grey fog correlates to the grey mists and clouds that protect Bran in his 3EC dream and that appear in the WF godswood during the blasphemous marriage of Ramsay and Jeyne Poole. Similarly, the fog blanketing Braavos limits visibility, which is good or bad, depending on if you are a cat or a killer, both of them "grey" in the fog, and Arya is both. It is easy to be swallowed up by the fog - a convenient cloaking for killers. Bran reaching out to his sister via dreams and mists/or fog are prophetic signs if Arya were not too blind to see. The notable thickness of the fog, unlike any other Arya had seen, speaks to its other-worldliness as well.

I do believe that the training Arya is receiving with the FM is awakening her warg/skinchanging spirit - but I also believe that Arya was guided to Braavos for a purpose - and a big part of the purpose is that she is a Stark with the blood of the First Men in her veins, and Him of Many Faces is well aware of the power in Arya's blood. But that is just my take on things!

I could see Arya continuing to warg animals in Braavos and Westeros in order to assassinate her targets and not running across Nymeria. Sansa, on the other hand, is a lot closer to encountering her sister's wolf, and she may be the one to regain control of Nymeria.

I have always thought the Wolf pack and Nymeria will rip the Freys to shreds, but Arya's TWOW chapter definitely implies Nymeria is moving North,

as not only is there a tree which watches her. Implying it is a Weirwood with eyes and we don't see carved Weirwoods outside of godswoods in the South, but the forest which she runs through is dense dark and vast and has pines.

Which is far more alike to the descriptions of the northern forests that the smaller woodlands with deciduous tree's in the Riverlands. If you look at a map of Westeros there are no significantly dense forests in the Riverlands and you don't reach one until Seaguard. I suspect Nymeria is headed North and that Bran is calling to her, to Arya to come to where she is needed.

Now that said we have no idea where in the book the Mercy Chapter is placed it could very well be that after she assists at the Red Wedding#2 she begins heading northward.

This sounds about right.

1. Attacks some Freys

2. Moves North at Bran's urging and helps at Winterfell.

3. Feasts on those corpses, preventing them all from becoming wights.

4. If the Wall fails, pack continues feasting on wights, helping to block their spread Southwards.

I could see Arya continuing to warg animals in Braavos and Westeros in order to assassinate her targets and not running across Nymeria. Sansa, on the other hand, is a lot closer to encountering her sister's wolf, and she may be the one to regain control of Nymeria.

Never even thought of this. Opens up all kinds of room for new speculation fun :)

It's definitely interesting, but Arya is still warging Nymeria even if not directly controlling her. Wouldn't that create a sort of power struggle inside Nymeria's head between sisters if they were both warging her at once?

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought that the wolves would turn the tides of an important battle, much like the eagles did in the war of the five armies. I dunno just a thought.

Welcome to the forums Ryan Madin :cheers:

I also think that Nymeria, her pack, and the other Stark direwolves will have a very significant role to play in the future. Just not sure what it will be. :P

Apart from playing a part in the Red Wedding 2.0, they might play another part in the rescue operation of the captives of Freys. The largest and most valuable party was the one including Greatjon. Jaime commanded the Freys to send them to the KL. Normally, the Freys know well to kill their captives upon the first sight of a rescue mission but if they are attacked by a wolf pack, I don't think they will consider killing them. Because they are valuable and the IT (supposedly) will pay their prices to the Freys.

In the Dance of the Dragons, we have Roddy the Ruin and his Winter Wolves. They attacked the Lannister spearwall wave after wave. Although they suffered great losses, the Lannisters were decimated and the survivors were driven to the God's Eye to be drowned and fed to the fishes.

Nymeria and her pack might do the same. They might attack the Freys and break their lines although many wolves die to the spears of the Freys. Then the BwB comes and rescues the prisoners.

I originally thought something similar to this, and goodness knows, I would love to see something like it happen in TWoW. The only point that I've heard that causes me doubt is the description of the terrain and especially the trees in Arya's most recent warg dreams. Someone pointed out that it sounds to be north of the Riverlands by some distance. That doesn't mean they can't come back south again. Don't know how far wolves can travel in a day, but it has to be a lot further than humans can with all their baggage. For that reason, IMO, it's possible to see the wolves roaming quite a bit.

I also really would love to see her pack intercede at Winterfell with the Bolton/Freys. :drool:

It was Nymeria that pulled Cat out of the water, If I recall Ayra has some knowledge of this (though I am sure not exact details but Nymeria KNEW Cat) ...and it already seems that Nymeria and her band of wild beasts have already been eating and relentlessly harassing Freys.

In fact, I see this as another proof of Arya's power - a sort of necromancy of cause and effect, since she caused her mother's "resurrection" as Lady Stoneheart. Only death can pay for life, no ? She has been saying prayers and feeding lives into the abyss, both as girl and wolf.

The gods heard her prayer, and were involved. Which gods? Well, R'hillor may have seemed the one, and Arya's proved to be as cunning an agent as the Many Faced God could hope for, but I submit that Arya - wolf child and blood child - had her prayer heard by the Old Gods.

In response to the OP. I think Arya has already been subconsciously warging into Nymeria through her dreams and exacting revenge on Freys or other houses. It'd be a pretty bad coincidence for Arya to hear about a large wolf leading a large pack in the riverlands and only attacking lannister/frey men and not northern men. I don't remember any of Robb's army being attacked by Nymeria's pack. But i do recall the lannister/frey/bolton men had a problem with wolves.

I always thought Arya will help in the upcoming war by discovering she can enter Nymeria at her own will and thus act through her.

I originally thought something similar to this, and goodness knows, I would love to see something like it happen in TWoW. The only point that I've heard that causes me doubt is the description of the terrain and especially the trees in Arya's most recent warg dreams. Someone pointed out that it sounds to be north of the Riverlands by some distance. That doesn't mean they can't come back south again. Don't know how far wolves can travel in a day, but it has to be a lot further than humans can with all their baggage. For that reason, IMO, it's possible to see the wolves roaming quite a bit.

I also really would love to see her pack intercede at Winterfell with the Bolton/Freys. :drool:

Could be collecting Northern wolves and bringing them into the pack before circling back around and heading to the Riverlands? :dunno: LOL Or that could just be my optimism talking. But the bigger the pack, the bigger the punch, right? :D

Archived