Nymeria's Role in tWoW

Uldra I

The latest Arya/Nym dreams show lots of pines and sentinel trees, suggesting she is heading north of the riverlands. Maybe she will use her pack on the Freys up at WF. Bolton did send them outside WF's walls to attack Stannis, right? Boy... it is time for me to do a reread :blushing:

Not sure about that...the last specfic book mention is in the The Blind Girl ADWD chapter "Its snowing in the Riverlands"...I don't recall any mention of warg dreams in Arya's last chapter The Ugly Little Girl...in Jon 1 "The hills were warmer where they were, and full of blood."..Is there some reference to Nymeria in Jon's chapters (and there are alot of Jon chapters) later in ADWD I can't recall...

There is also a mention in "Mercy" with no specifics "Except in dreams"...."and a tree that watched her as she ran"

Remember too The Twins is close to bordering on the Northlands so it is not inconcievable that Nymeria is using the area around the western Neck as cover.....

You want to know what would really be neat, is if someone had the time, inclination and computer savvy to list all italicazed statements in the books (most seem to be of warging thoughts and observations) in one place from AGOT to ADWD....I think it would give a good idea of where GRRM is taking the whole Direwolf plotline.....Oh and surely ease the referencing....

I was assuming her dream in the Mercy chapter was a Nymeria dream. Here's the little passage:

She woke with a gasp, not knowing who she was, or where.

The smell of blood was heavy in her nostrils… or was that her nightmare, lingering? She had dreamed of wolves again, of running through some dark pine forest with a great pack at her hells, hard on the scent of prey.

Other forum members have thought this sounded more like the northern trees, perhaps the Wolfswood. Even though it takes men a lot of time to travel such a distance, I imagine wolves could traverse much more ground in a lot less time. They don't have horses to care for, or baggage, and they don't have to stick to the roads. IMO they could probably go North and then South again fairly quickly without too much trouble. Winterfell is where Nymeria grew up. It's possible that she heads back up that way. If she does, I bet the Freys outside of WF will meet the wolves at some point.

Love the idea about a database like that. I'd also love all the dreams listed like that too. I don't type well enough to volunteer though :P

Seems we are reading it differently....someone else want to chime in with an opinion?

Yes. Grey Wind is dead. Don't really understand why that is being debated. It was pretty clear.

Four alive: Ghost, Nymeria, Shaggydog, Summer. Lady and Grey Wind are dead. Summer can't be sensed beyond the Wall, just as Jon couldn't sense Ghost when separated by the Wall.

Arya so far needs justification to kill innocent people. Nymeria does not seem to need this. If and when the two meet again, which tendency will win out? That is what I want to know.

I was assuming her dream in the Mercy chapter was a Nymeria dream. Here's the little passage:

Other forum members have thought this sounded more like the northern trees, perhaps the Wolfswood. Even though it takes men a lot of time to travel such a distance, I imagine wolves could traverse much more ground in a lot less time. They don't have horses to care for, or baggage, and they don't have to stick to the roads. IMO they could probably go North and then South again fairly quickly without too much trouble. Winterfell is where Nymeria grew up. It's possible that she heads back up that way. If she does, I bet the Freys outside of WF will meet the wolves at some point.

Love the idea about a database like that. I'd also love all the dreams listed like that too. I don't type well enough to volunteer though :P

It's a bit flimsy really. And all other evidence points to her still being in the Riverlands around the God's Eye - where weirwoods can also be found, though I would certainly be happy if the pack showed up in the North to devour Boltons and Freys.

Yes. Grey Wind is dead. Don't really understand why that is being debated. It was pretty clear.

Four alive: Ghost, Nymeria, Shaggydog, Summer. Lady and Grey Wind are dead. Summer can't be sensed beyond the Wall, just as Jon couldn't sense Ghost when separated by the Wall.

Arya so far needs justification to kill innocent people. Nymeria does not seem to need this. If and when the two meet again, which tendency will win out? That is what I want to know

No it isn't.....

That Greywind is dead? He's dead. They cut his head off and sewed it on Robb not to mention that the show showed that he was killed.

If Greywind magically appears than that would be cheap and George isn't into writing cheap plot lines in this series.

No, Grey Wind is not dead it is a Frey fallacy...

That Greywind is dead? He's dead. They cut his head off and sewed it on Robb not to mention that the show showed that he was killed.

If Greywind magically appears than that would be cheap and George isn't into writing cheap plot lines in this series.

I wouldn't say George isn't into cheap plot lines....but you're right when you say Grey Wind is dead. lol

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109554-sunfyre-and-jamie-lannister/

Just finished reading the Princess and the Queen and noticed some parallels between the young handsome dragon Sunfyre and the realm's most handsome young golden knight.

The colors obviously are a trigger, the Lannister gold and Sunfyre's golden scales, both frequently described how bright and beautiful they are, Jamie's armor is frequently referred to the same way.

The injury was the big comparison for me, Jamie loses his sword hand and Sunfyre loses his wing. Both are maimed in battle and thought to never recover. Jamie is struggling learning the use of his left hand and Sunfyre remainded maimed and had to eat sheep brought to him.

In the end, Sunfyre triumphs in battle against Moondancer even fighting through the pain of his maimed wing and flying when no one thought he could and eventually devours Rhaenyra Targaryen at the bidding of Aegon II, after that he then succumbs to his wounds and dies.

I believe that this parallels the end of Jamie's storyline, it will be interesting to see who he ends up having to kill and whether he ends up dying in the end.

Jaime = Sunfyre

Grey Ghost = Nymeria.

Colouring is the same.

Grey Ghost is a wild dragon that could never be tamed, Nymeria is now wild.

Grey Ghost is shy of man, Nymeria is certainly not so they're opposites in that, but no wild dragon was likely to survive if it feasted on man, it would be hunted and killed.

Grey Ghost hangs about the narrow sea, Nymeria seems to hang about the God's Eye.

Grey Ghost is elusive, as is Nymeria.

Grey Ghost liked to feed on fish, well Nymeria pulled one famous fish from the river.

Not straight foreshadowing but association, Nymeria was hunted by William Mooton but forced them to retreat. Walys Mooton tried to kill Sunfyre but Sunfyre roasted his attackers.

Grey Ghost = Nymeria

Sunfyre kills GreyGhost = Jaime kills Nymeria.

What I'm interested in seeing is Nymeria and Ayra getting back together, travelling to KL whereupon Arya wargs Balerion the Cat (he knows all the secrets) and delves into the history of KL since the uprising after relases Nymeria to do carnage and chaos on those who Balerion indentifies.....

How cool would it be if a bunch of Nymeria's wolf pack were actually warged dead Northmen killed at the Twins? It seems most of those Northern bannermen had some Stark blood, so could have been wargs.

I guess it wouldn't really work in terms of writing though - I mean, how could it be shown when none of them were ever PoVs.

How cool would it be if a bunch of Nymeria's wolf pack were actually warged dead Northmen killed at the Twins? It seems most of those Northern bannermen had some Stark blood, so could have been wargs.

I guess it wouldn't really work in terms of writing though - I mean, how could it be shown when none of them were ever PoVs.

i think the Varamyr prologue spells out a lot about wargs. Even among the wildlings, wargs were feared and ostracized, beheld as gods or demigods. Northmen would probably have less warg in them than the wildlings, but the Starks seem to be special in terms of bloodlines and familial legend.

What I'm interested in seeing is Nymeria and Ayra getting back together, travelling to KL whereupon Arya wargs Balerion the Cat (he knows all the secrets) and delves into the history of KL since the uprising after relases Nymeria to do carnage and chaos on those who Balerion indentifies.....

I don't think they ever get back together. Nymeria has a pack estimated near the thousands mark. Unless they're massacred, her place of duty is there. Lol

Someone said that Arya would smother a baby to survive. Wasn't it on Gendry who wanted to abandon the little girl while Arya wanted to protect her or am i remembering incorrectly.

Nym is going turn the tied of major battle but her packs going to be decimated and will dissolve then she will meet up with arya again some how.

Archived