Martin, and his quest to kill fan theories

Wmarshal

On the other hand, Martin also started tons of theories in his interviews/SSM. I remember all of pre-ADWD X is prince Aegon theories being started by Martin saying I can confirm that Rhaenys is 100% dead. This sentence lead every young male in the series, from Jon and Darkstar to Hot Pie, being suspected of being Aegon.

Maybe I'm not pragmatic enough, but I believe all he said was that Syrio had been left in a desperate situation, and readers should draw their own conclusions wasn't it?

He expressed surprise why do people keep asking him if Syrio is alive.

GRRM did debunk Targ fireproof, he did however not debunk Dany fireproof. And since he's pretty carefully in picking his words, and since there are several things happening in the books that indicate some sort of fire-resistance for Dany, I'd say that's still in.

Dany herself however projects her own fireresistance on her entire targ family, and therefore concludes that her brother wasn't a real dragon.

Well that is just a different way of saying the same thing - ie. not all Targs are "real dragons", so not everyone in her family obviously. Anyway, Dany is clearly heat resistant, and Viserys was not. I kind of like how the TV show showed it - her handling the eggs when her handmaid does the same thing she gets burned. Also the extra hot bath. And then the scene with Viserys in the tub and whatzername drips hot wax on his chest and says OW! Obviously Dany is special.

It still doesn't preclude the possibility that a Targ married into the Starks rather than the other way around, same as it looks like a Targ married into House Arryn, if Rhaenyra had more Targaryen blood than Aegon II. The only way to know for sure is to see a full family tree.

I think the number of children Jaehaerys had makes this very likely depending on bow many daughters he had reach marriageable age. We'll see hopefully.

I think the number of children Jaehaerys had makes this very likely depending on bow many daughters he had reach marriageable age. We'll see hopefully.

I agree. A daughter of Jaehaery is the most likely bet, if there is any Targ blood at all in the Stark family tree. I mean, he at least went North and visited the Wall.

Martin is not in any "quest" to kill fan theories. He just answers direct questions when asked. And since he does not visit forums, he's not even aware of those theories. I'm sure he wonders "where the hell they took the idea that Aenys' wife had to be Targaryen from"?!

Go to Corn code theory, apparently some guy met Martin in Asutralia, IIRC and asked him about it. Ser Creighton, the author of the Corn Code(I know you know, but apparently there is a word out there that I have made that theory. Of all the good theories under the Sun that could have been attached to my name, I got this one?), rejected it...

I would agree on this.

Some other misconceptions, theories etc...

1. GRRM debunked Rhaegar is alive

2. GRRM confirmed that all 6 Stark kids are wargs, including Sansa

3. GRRM debunked the theory of Targaryen fireproofness. Actually the books did that too...

Yea I said it may have been you, just bc it had been awhile since I'd seen it, and I couldn't find the thread. Honest mistake which I thought I covered with may have been, but I guess some people ran with it.

GRRM did debunk Targ fireproof, he did however not debunk Dany fireproof. And since he's pretty carefully in picking his words, and since there are several things happening in the books that indicate some sort of fire-resistance for Dany, I'd say that's still in.

Dany herself however projects her own fireresistance on her entire targ family, and therefore concludes that her brother wasn't a real dragon.

No.

GRRM said that was a one time magical event.

The vast majority of theories will be shown to be false in time. In reality, if there wasn't so much time between books most wouldn't even exist because you would already have the answers.

This ^

Well that is just a different way of saying the same thing - ie. not all Targs are "real dragons", so not everyone in her family obviously. Anyway, Dany is clearly heat resistant, and Viserys was not. I kind of like how the TV show showed it - her handling the eggs when her handmaid does the same thing she gets burned. Also the extra hot bath. And then the scene with Viserys in the tub and whatzername drips hot wax on his chest and says OW! Obviously Dany is special.

That is the show. And considering the show and how Dany is treated by the show, it's no wonder they have over done it.

That is the show. And considering the show and how Dany is treated by the show, it's no wonder they have over done it.

Look, there is a gap between being fireproof and heat tolerant. The book ALSO shows she is heat tolerant. The show didn't fabricate that detail. Sure, they showed it differently, but I don't get why people feel the need to so dismissive when things to do with the show are mentioned even when they are accurate. I said the show did it WELL, with the candle wax.

The point in the bit you quoted was that Viserys was NOT heat resistant. Ergo, not all Targs have this trait. However, other Targs in the past have had it. It is also mentioned in the Dunk and Egg books because Egg had this trait.

Does this mean open flames don't burn them? No it doesn't. That is why it is not the same thing as fireproof.

The vast majority of theories will be shown to be false in time. In reality, if there wasn't so much time between books most wouldn't even exist because you would already have the answers.

I'm actually wondering if the next books will be able to surprise me in the same way parts of the first ones did. I have not been among the people that had to wait several years for ADWD, so this is the first time I had this much time to think and read what other people think about what's going to happen. And by now I almost have the feeling, I basically read it all and nothing can shock me (I mean, seriously, I read some really really weird stuff already :D ), now I just have to find out which of all the theories are true, I somewhat hope Martin is going to mataphorically slap me in the face for even thinking that, when I read the story of the next books. ;)

I never thought of it so much as being Fireproof as the blood magic at work in that pyre is part of what kept her alive. Although I suppose there are various references to her liking heat...But I wouldn't think that means she is fireproof in every situation. If she was then she should be getting lots of mileage dousing herself in wildfire and presneting herself as a flaming goddess all over the place. That would scare the pants off the Son of the Harpy.

I never thought of it so much as being Fireproof as the blood magic at work in that pyre is part of what kept her alive. Although I suppose there are various references to her liking heat...But I wouldn't think that means she is fireproof in every situation. If she was then she should be getting lots of mileage dousing herself in wildfire and presneting herself as a flaming goddess all over the place. That would scare the pants off the Son of the Harpy.

I agree...and nice image!

The issue with the Dany-sin't-fireproof thing is the Daznak Pit... There Dany's hands burn up a bit and her hair... But the rest remains unburnt! IIRC Dany even thinks in her last chapter that she was unburnt "just like that time in the pyre where my dragons were borne". Or am I misremembering? Anyway, it's not exactly clear what Dany's stance on fireproofity is (with the exception being that she CAN get burns at least in certain places and in certain situations), but Targaryens in general clearly aren't fireproof.

I agree. A daughter of Jaehaery is the most likely bet, if there is any Targ blood at all in the Stark family tree. I mean, he at least went North and visited the Wall.

We also haven't found out what happened with his other sister Rhaena yet, either. She could have married a Stark. Although I speculate that she may have been married to a Baratheon.

The issue with the Dany-sin't-fireproof thing is the Daznak Pit... There Dany's hands burn up a bit and her hair... But the rest remains unburnt! IIRC Dany even thinks in her last chapter that she was unburnt "just like that time in the pyre where my dragons were borne". Or am I misremembering? Anyway, it's not exactly clear what Dany's stance on fireproofity is (with the exception being that she CAN get burns at least in certain places and in certain situations), but Targaryens in general clearly aren't fireproof.

I think that was the heat. Heat with no direct flame will still burn you.

We also haven't found out what happened with his other sister Rhaena yet, either. She could have married a Stark. Although I speculate that she may have been married to a Baratheon.

I started a thread for that the other day and someone said it was a Velaryon.

Archived