Jon’s queen ~ Adding all foreshadowings up.

Jon's Queen Consort

Like I said, I find some more credible than others. Although, if we are talking specifically of the two marrying each other, well, I have a hard time seeing them both surviving the story. So if it does happen, it might be symbolic more than actual, and it will not last long regardless.

The best case scenario I am willing to entertain, and I do mean best, is that Daenerys dies giving birth to their child(ren).

I doubt Jon will marry Dany. He has the taboos of the Old Gods to contend with and that is incest, kinslaying and guest right violations. And after what he saw at Craster's Keep, he may despise incest even more, especially if he recognizes that it causes skewed family dynamics. And he may learn from Cersei and Jaime's twincest and ban incestuous marriages among all families, regardless of class.

Paper Waver mentioned that Shireen will be queen, but I doubt his theory. I see Stannis and her as having strong Agamemnon-Iphigenia parallels. He (Stannis) killed his own brother and I think that the gods will punish him by forcing him to sacrifice Shireen. This will result in a metaphorical dragon (Jon) rising and taking control of the 7K, something that may also count as another punishment for him for his actions against Renly.

Paper Waver mentioned that Shireen will be queen, but I doubt his theory. I see Stannis and her as having strong Agamemnon-Iphigenia parallels. He (Stannis) killed his own brother and I think that the gods will punish him by forcing him to sacrifice Shireen. This will result in a metaphorical dragon (Jon) rising and taking control of the 7K, something that may also count as another punishment for him for his actions against Renly.

I am sorry, I really like you posts but wut? I cannot see how Agamemnon is Stannis.

I think the end of Jon's story is heavily foreshadowed at the end of his second to last chapter in A Game of Thrones. I have never been persuaded differently since I read that chapter, not even a little bit. He will be tempted three times to leave the Night's Watch and he will resist all three times. He has already resisted twice (i.e., Robb, Stannis) and it might well be the case that Daenerys and the revelation that he is the son of Rhaegar Targaryen will be his final temptation.

These are among those passages I have seen forwarded as foreshadowing for a future relationship between Daenerys and her nephew. Some I find more credible than others and there are more still, but I am not in the mood for a long search, so I have only pulled up those easiest to find.

Nice - thanks for the examples.

There is also this on from Dany's second to last chapter in AGOT:

When she woke the third time, a shaft of golden sunlight was pouring through the smoke hole of the tent, and her arms were wrapped around a dragon’s egg. It was the pale one...

Oh shoot, I just notice this:

Her silver was trotting through the grass, to a darkling stream beneath a sea of stars. A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly. A blue flower grew from a chink in a wall of ice, and filled the air with sweetness. . . . mother of dragons, bride of fire . . .

The light of the half-moon turned Val’s honey-blond hair a pale silver and left her cheeks as white as snow. She took a deep breath. “The air tastes sweet.

I guess Jon smells sweet. (^_^) Probably from hanging around with Satin. (*_^).

Does it count as foreshadowing when Jon muses on how silly the Stannis men are for considering Valerie a princess at all?

I'm not sure if Jon will marry anybody by the end. This may be an unpopular idea but I believe his story arc is one of duty and honor.

He's already married to the Snow, which he'll likely end face down in. Maybe not, but likely so. We're supposed to want the fairy tale ending with his real lineage mattering or him earning the crown on his own and then his birthright becoming known just as confirmation that he deserves to sit the throne. But we aren't being served up what we want, by and large. So the opportunity to hook up with a queen is iffy. That'd be the majority foreshadowing, the principle umbra.

I think the end of Jon's story is heavily foreshadowed at the end of his second to last chapter in A Game of Thrones. I have never been persuaded differently since I read that chapter, not even a little bit. He will be tempted three times to leave the Night's Watch and he will resist all three times. He has already resisted twice (i.e., Robb, Stannis) and it might well be the case that Daenerys and the revelation that he is the son of Rhaegar Targaryen will be his final temptation.

Wouldn't the third temptation be Ramsey's letter? He took the bait and got the Caesar treatment for it.

Wouldn't the third temptation be Ramsey's letter? He took the bait and got the Caesar treatment for it.

That was no temptation. He had no desire to go and take Winterfell from the Boltons, or even to leave Castle Black at all. His only intent was to eliminate the potential fallout that might be suffered by the Night's Watch.

Real temptation entails both something Jon wants and which causes him to abdicate his duty to the Night's Watch. As in, abandoning his post because he wants to help Robb Stark's war effort, or abandoning his post to become Lord of Winterfell, etc.

Jon and Asha Greyjoy, I know it's a reach but would bring certain powers to bear.

That is my favorite pairing and my own personal preference but I know it has such little chance of happening.

That was no temptation. He had no desire to go and take Winterfell from the Boltons, or even to leave Castle Black at all. His only intent was to eliminate the potential fallout that might be suffered by the Night's Watch.

Real temptation entails both something Jon wants and which causes him to abdicate his duty to the Night's Watch. As in, abandoning his post because he wants to help Robb Stark's war effort, or abandoning his post to become Lord of Winterfell, etc.

I disagree. Jon thought that Ramsey had Arya. He wanted to use the NW to save her, which meant getting involved in politics that had nothing to do with the Wall. It was a total breach of NW vows and he knew it.

I disagree. Jon thought that Ramsey had Arya. He wanted to use the NW to save her, which meant getting involved in politics that had nothing to do with the Wall. It was a total breach of NW vows and he knew it.

No.

He specifically says he's not taking any of his men with him, the force that went to Winterfell would've been entirely made up of wildlings.

More to the point, in that letter Ramsey demands that the Night's Watch give up numerous VIPs that were at Castle Black under guest right. That's equivalent to what Aerys demanded of Jon Arryn. If Jon refused, a direct threat was made against his life and those of the men under his command. That's a threat against the Night's Watch, and he's perfectly entitled to take arms against someone threatening his command.

Just to remind everyone: a lot of readers disliking the idea of a incest pairing for Jon has no bearing on its likelihood. In fact, the fact that a lot if people basically throw up at the idea that two semi-decent (YMMV) people might marry, gives it actually higher odds for that bittersweet ending. (The bitter might just the bile that people will have to swallow reading about their faves having incestuous intercourse.)

GRRM is not hosting a make-a-wish tournament with ASOIAF. So if he wants to end a story that began with incest with the same subject... well, it's his story.

Just to remind everyone: a lot of readers disliking the idea of a incest pairing for Jon has no bearing on its likelihood. In fact, the fact that a lot if people basically throw up at the idea that two semi-decent (YMMV) people might marry, gives it actually higher odds for that bittersweet ending. (The bitter might just the bile that people will have to swallow reading about their faves having incestuous intercourse.)

GRRM is not hosting a make-a-wish tournament with ASOIAF. So if he wants to end a story that began with incest with the same subject... well, it's his story.

Incest is frequently portrayed as having crappy results later in the line. I think any character would be wary of it now, especially after Aerys...

Archived