Requested feature: Thread rating

Rooseman

It would be very helpful if you guys could implement a feature to rate threads depending on how much you like them. The average rating could be displayed as an additional statistic besides the reply count and the view count.

This would come in super handy especially in the more active boards, like the General ASoIaF. I find it quite hard to pick the good threads from the bad and it's just not possible to read everything.

You can't even go by the reply count, since threads like "Did Lysa rape Littlefinger?" tend to get 20 pages more often than some well thought-out theories.

Average ratings could give you a much better idea about which threads might be worth checking out and which ones aren't.

Thread and post ratings were a feature of the board some time ago. It ended in tears, so it probably won't happen again.

Now that this question has been brought up again, I always wanted to know what was the deal. I mean, IIRC, the explanation was that the feature was cancelled due to technical issues, because they crashed system and so on. I am a bit surprised that, as you say, "ended in tears" for I have always found it extremely useful feature. Not only that it showed the general opinion of the board about certain posts and threads, but it was also something that made all these just "I agree" posts unnecessary.

Sadly, I agree. It would be difficult to separate "popularity" from sound scholarly content/good writing.

Hmmm, TBH, I have no idea what you talk about. As I understand, the popularity here is gained with the good posts, reasonable arguments, scholarly content etc. That is one of the reasons I really like this board. Popularity here generally means quality of posts.

Hmmm, TBH, I have no idea what you talk about. As I understand, the popularity here is gained with the good posts, reasonable arguments, scholarly content etc. That is one of the reasons I really like this board. Popularity here generally means quality of posts.

Exactly, thank you.

Granted that the quality of the content and the popularity. as expressed by an average rating, usually aren't 100% correlated, it's still a hell of a lot more reliable than the reply count.

In any way, I don't see what the problem would be. As I said in the OP, it would be a nice way of seeing which threads might be worth checking out, that perhaps you wouldn't have checked out otherwise.

Any admin or mod care to comment on the issue?

I can imagine that a problem with rating individual posts is that people would resort to giving a post a bad rating simply because they disagree, and they wouldn't have to give a reason. Too lazy to argue but want to have the last word? Simple, give their post a thumbs down or whatever.

I can imagine that a problem with rating individual posts is that people would resort to giving a post a bad rating simply because they disagree, and they wouldn't have to give a reason. Too lazy to argue but want to have the last word? Simple, give their post a thumbs down or whatever.

Nobody said anything about rating individual postings.

Any admin or mod care to comment on the issue?

Stubby already did, a few posts up. To wit: we already tried to use rating features on this board. It is too process/database-intensive, and caused the board to crash all.the.time. Thus, that kind of functionality will likely not be coming back.

Archived