Bran's Arc?

So over at Grantland, there a guy named Andy Greenwald (link: http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/game-of-thrones-recap-cersei-season-four/ ) Who has not read the books (insert Unsullied joke here) but has been reviewing the show throughout these 3+ seasons.

I found this take on Bran interesting.

Here’s the thing: For as much fun as I’ve made of Bran’s spirit quest over the years, there’s something to be said for making your own way in the world, even if that way appears to be leading toward the tree currently occupied by House Keebler. Tommen Baratheon is the “First of His Name,” but he’s not even the first of his immediate family to be coronated this year. Bran can’t walk, but at least he’s blazing his own trail, jaegering gentle Hodor and doing to Locke what Jaime Lannister never could. While everyone else waits for winter, Bran’s the only one marching straight into the freezing heart of it, chasing after a new idea instead of an old title or an even older throne. Let everyone else play the Game. Brandon Stark alone appears dead set on changing it.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section of the forums, but I could be wrong.

As far as the opinion goes I think it's an interesting way of looking at Bran's arc on the show. It helps infuse a little more substance and direction into an arc which so far has been amorphous and ambiguous with little integration with the rest of the stories being told. This is even relative to the book where Bran is at times seen as aimless, but at least is able to offer more clues as it makes far more history and folklore known.

He makes a good point. Everyone else who knows about the Others or will know about them flees south, Bran's going north. Instead of cowering or running a way, he's heading up to find out if there's a way to stop it, and is uniquely placed to learn exactly what needs to be done to do just that. Legs or no legs, this little dude is more important than any butt sitting on that iron chair.

ETA: the idea he's following is so old that it's new again! ;)

He makes a good point. Everyone else who knows about the Others or will know about them flees south, Bran's going north. Instead of cowering or running a way, he's heading up to find out if there's a way to stop it, and is uniquely placed to learn exactly what needs to be done to do just that. Legs or no legs, this little dude is more important than any butt sitting on that iron chair.

like Retro lol.

Agree 100%. Even the Night's Watch, the institution created for this very purpose, is hunkering down and bickering among themselves instead of confronting the threat. Bran's ar is the only one singularly devoted to the real threat now

Agree 100%. Even the Night's Watch, the institution created for this very purpose, is hunkering down and bickering among themselves instead of confronting the threat. Bran's ar is the only one singularly devoted to the real threat now

Uhm Stannis is. His whole reason for invading the North is to gather the forces he needs to fight the Others.

Technically Bran didn't go up north to find a way to stop Others. He went up north to find and train under Bloodraven, and unlock his full potential.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/109325-book-spoilers-all-branraven-theory/

Shameless plug but, the theory defines the before and after of Bran's story arc.

Uhm Stannis is. His whole reason for invading the North is to gather the forces he needs to fight the Others.

True, that is why he went North originally - the threat of the Others. But where is he now? Trapped in a snow storm after becoming sidetracked by the Game of Thrones.

(Yes by the way, I do like Stannis and understand why he is involved in the Northern politics, but he does seem.to have forgotten the very reason he went North at this stage.)

OK, the House Keebler is an imaginative visual touch. I think the observation is a fresh twist on Bran's journey to find the 3EC whom he hopes will restore his legs so that he can walk. It is the very first question he asks of Lord Brynden, who says he does not have such healing powers, but instead, Bran will fly.

True, that is why he went North originally - the threat of the Others. But where is he now? Trapped in a snow storm after becoming sidetracked by the Game of Thrones.

(Yes by the way, I do like Stannis and understand why he is involved in the Northern politics, but he does seem.to have forgotten the very reason he went North at this stage.)

I do not think he has forgotten, he just got stuck in the snow... kinda like going to work and you getting stuck in the snow... for like a month lol

I do not think he has forgotten, he just got stuck in the snow... kinda like going to work and you getting stuck in the snow... for like a month lol

I suppose thats one way of looking at it. But I stand by the opinion that he has become.side tracked. His focus is still on recognition as the rightful King, and only when that is achieved will he turn to the Wall again...but howblong does he have, really? Winter doesnt wait forever, as he has found out to his sorrow.

Still, I like the guy. He started out with good intentions and good on him for that. (you know, every character seems to begin with good intentions that end up going kaput :p)

I suppose thats one way of looking at it. But I stand by the opinion that he has become.side tracked. His focus is still on recognition as the rightful King, and only when that is achieved will he turn to the Wall again...but howblong does he have, really? Winter doesnt wait forever, as he has found out to his sorrow.

Still, I like the guy. He started out with good intentions and good on him for that. (you know, every character seems to begin with good intentions that end up going kaput :P)

I am no stanfan fanatic. He is gathering forces to save the wall, not conquering Westeros.

Back to Bran, yeah he originally was not going up there for the reason to save the world, but he starts feeling that way the closer he gets to the cave.... to learn is not as important as what he will do with what he learns.

Ok, but don't confuse some of the aspects. For starter, book Bran is younger and very different from TV Bran, although he has a sense of destiny, in the books, Bran is very much driven to find the 3EC because a part of him hopes beyond anything that he will be able to somehow walk again. I don't mean this as a slight to his character, but Bran is a child driven by selfish desires, he's not out there in the cold wondering, "How am I going to rally everyone to defeat The Others?" As Jojen has reminded Bran, he's just now scratching the surface of who/what he can be.

TV show Bran has no arc, no character development, just random plodding about.

Bran's arc is a study in hard sacrifice by a young, naive and benevolent character. Bran's knee jerk reaction is to save and protect, the concept of sacrifice for the greater good is against his nature, but his arc will force him to come to understand the concept and make the hardest sacrifices in the series.

Archived