What was Rhaegar fighting for?

hollowcrown

I'm at loss thinking about Rhaegar's actions during WOT5K. The chain of events that led to full-scale rebellion: Brandon coming to KL - Aerys arresting him and summoning Rickard - Rickard arriving - Aerys killing them both - Aerys calling for Ned's and Bob's heads; took at least a month or two to play out. But instead of stopping it at some point, Rhaegar apparently decided to dedicate himself to creating third head of the dragon. When he finally appeared in KL, just before Battle of Trident - it was way too late to do anything.

I think it was butterbumps who proposed an idea that Rheagar's and Lyanna's attempts at communication from ToJ were somehow sabotaged. I certainly hope this was the case; else Rhaegar comes to as dumb and irresponsible git who doesn't give a damn about the realm he's supposed to rule one day.

I think it was butterbumps who proposed an idea that Rheagar's and Lyanna's attempts at communication from ToJ were somehow sabotaged. I certainly hope this was the case; else Rhaegar comes to as dumb and irresponsible git who doesn't give a damn about the realm he's supposed to rule one day.

Well, what if he learns that WW are coming back and ONLY tPtwP could stop them? Rebellion vs stopping WW. I think he would have gone for the latter.

I'm at loss thinking about Rhaegar's actions during WOT5K. The chain of events that led to full-scale rebellion: Brandon coming to KL - Aerys arresting him and summoning Rickard - Rickard arriving - Aerys killing them both - Aerys calling for Ned's and Bob's heads; took at least a month or two to play out. But instead of stopping it at some point, Rhaegar apparently decided to dedicate himself to creating third head of the dragon. When he finally appeared in KL, just before Battle of Trident - it was way too late to do anything.

Make it half a year, at least.

:agree: This, exactly

Rhaegar screwed the pooch, leading armies in his fathers name.

Had he presented himself as a third party, denouncing his fathers actions and apologizing for taking Lyanna, while promising reparations in a sense, it would've gone a long way in calming the rebels.

He did none of that.

Him showing up and leading armies in his fathers name says he supports the murder of the Starks, Arryn heir and all the other nobility killed without trial.

It also says he supports his fathers demand for the heads of the faultless Eddard Stark and Robert Baratheon.

It also says he believes the dragon can do as he likes, ala his father's creed.

It all points to the fact that he deserved to die just as much as his crazy daddy.

His wife and children were innocent, but Robert Baratheon was in his finest hour at the Trident.

Rhaegar supposedly wanted to call a conference of Lords Paramount after Robert's Rebellion and discuss "changes" after all was settled. However Robert killed him at the Trident so that could never happen.

What I'm wondering is what Rhaegar was doing even fighting in the rebellion? He kidnapped Lyanna which started the whole thing, but really the fuse was lit when Aerys killed a Lord Paramount and his heir (Rickard and Brandon) and then called for the heads of 2 more Lord Paramounts (Ned and Robert), hence Jon calling the banners and putting forward Robert as the future king, invalidating the Targaryen line and establishing the Baratheon line.

Surely for survival, Rhaegar should've known his father was a madman and planning to kill a total of 4 Lord Paramounts, since he talks of the need for reform after the rebellion - so why didn't he just lead his army to remove his father himself and crown himself as King? Was Rhaegar active in planning the war or did he just listen to Jon Connington or whoever was the General/Hand at the time? He could've just surrendered to Robert (I am sure Jon would've given him a fair trial and explanation), instead of just leading his army on the Trident.

I just don't get the Prince's actions. Rhaegar was supposed to be an intelligent, measured and well liked man but his actions in the Rebellion make no sense to me, and were a huge factor in the fall of his family. Targ madness? Maybe, we'll never know, what do you think?

First of all Rhaegar had no army and if you are talking about the army they had in Trident, then it would make no chamge at all.Because this war started as a rebellion against Aerys but it turned into a war against Targeryan dynasty.And I really don't see Robert just letting Rhaear get away with all of that easily and Ned wouldn't either.

Rhaegar probably wanted to overthrow his father after the trident and if we believe that the prophecy he read had anything to do with WWs then he would probably reinforce the NW.

Noone gets Rhaegars actions don't worry.

• 2 months later...

He was fighting for his right to emo!!! Just kidding. Him being the Crown Prince and allegedly a "great warrior," it would've been very unseemly if he cowered behind the walls of Kings Landing while a rebellion against his family's rule was gathering steam. In a world where martial abilities were prized, he had to make an appearance.

I get he's the Mad King and all, but just outright saying and Robert too I fell is coming a bit from no where. Unless of course he's hoping to avoid another Brandon Stark situation, demanding Rhaegars head for his love of Lyanna. I suppose it makes sense

My reply was to the thread's OP. As in Rhaegar couldn't make peace with Robert because Robert hates him passionately.

I think the "changes" Rhaegar wanted probably involved annulling his marriage with Elia so he could marry Lyanna instead. In truth, this could've been a very bold strategic move and since they were likely married and Lyanna was pregnant, this would have likely been the only way the north would've removed support from Robert. I also do think he probably wanted to take the crown for himself and perhaps was hoping that he could convince his council to perhaps create some sort of vote that his father was too crazy too rule.

He had no choice, of course, but to fight for his family's honor though.

Archived