What was Rhaegar fighting for?

hollowcrown

Rhaegar supposedly wanted to call a conference of Lords Paramount after Robert's Rebellion and discuss "changes" after all was settled. However Robert killed him at the Trident so that could never happen.

What I'm wondering is what Rhaegar was doing even fighting in the rebellion? He kidnapped Lyanna which started the whole thing, but really the fuse was lit when Aerys killed a Lord Paramount and his heir (Rickard and Brandon) and then called for the heads of 2 more Lord Paramounts (Ned and Robert), hence Jon calling the banners and putting forward Robert as the future king, invalidating the Targaryen line and establishing the Baratheon line.

Surely for survival, Rhaegar should've known his father was a madman and planning to kill a total of 4 Lord Paramounts, since he talks of the need for reform after the rebellion - so why didn't he just lead his army to remove his father himself and crown himself as King? Was Rhaegar active in planning the war or did he just listen to Jon Connington or whoever was the General/Hand at the time? He could've just surrendered to Robert (I am sure Jon would've given him a fair trial and explanation), instead of just leading his army on the Trident.

I just don't get the Prince's actions. Rhaegar was supposed to be an intelligent, measured and well liked man but his actions in the Rebellion make no sense to me, and were a huge factor in the fall of his family. Targ madness? Maybe, we'll never know, what do you think?

It makes no sense for Rhaegar to start an internal war whilst there are actual rebels already at war with him. The Rebels were angry with both Rhaegar and Aerys, substituting one for the other would be unlikely to.help resolve the problem. It would only serve to weaken the Targaryen position if he moved against his father.

so why didn't he just lead his army to remove his father himself and crown himself as King?

Not sure what exactly to make of Rhaegar but he definitely is not a Kinslayer. Secondly, I don't believe Rhaegar wanted to overthrow his father. From what Barristan tells of him, his point of interest had always been the prophecy. If indeed Rhaegar arranged Tourney at Harrenhal to meet all the Lords, it was probably something to do with the fulfillment of the prophecy.

The same thing Baelor Breakspear and Maekar fought for, their house. Rhaegar may have wanted to remove his father from the throne, but that's not the same as wanting the throne usurped by rebels. Perhaps he thought if he could defeat Robert he could end the rebellion, and find a way to bring the other rebel families back into the fold with the council.

Rhaegar supposedly wanted to call a conference of Lords Paramount after Robert's Rebellion and discuss "changes" after all was settled. However Robert killed him at the Trident so that could never happen.

What I'm wondering is what Rhaegar was doing even fighting in the rebellion? He kidnapped Lyanna which started the whole thing, but really the fuse was lit when Aerys killed a Lord Paramount and his heir (Rickard and Brandon) and then called for the heads of 2 more Lord Paramounts (Ned and Robert), hence Jon calling the banners and putting forward Robert as the future king, invalidating the Targaryen line and establishing the Baratheon line.

Surely for survival, Rhaegar should've known his father was a madman and planning to kill a total of 4 Lord Paramounts, since he talks of the need for reform after the rebellion - so why didn't he just lead his army to remove his father himself and crown himself as King? Was Rhaegar active in planning the war or did he just listen to Jon Connington or whoever was the General/Hand at the time? He could've just surrendered to Robert (I am sure Jon would've given him a fair trial and explanation), instead of just leading his army on the Trident.

I just don't get the Prince's actions. Rhaegar was supposed to be an intelligent, measured and well liked man but his actions in the Rebellion make no sense to me, and were a huge factor in the fall of his family. Targ madness? Maybe, we'll never know, what do you think?

Be Prepared. Whole lot " Rhaegar cant do nothing wrong " shit storm headed your way. ;) ;) ;) ;)

Not sure what exactly to make of Rhaegar but he definitely is not a Kinslayer. Secondly, I don't believe Rhaegar wanted to overthrow his father. From what Barristan tells of him, his point of interest had always been the prophecy. If indeed Rhaegar arranged Tourney at Harrenhal to meet all the Lords, it was probably something to do with the fulfillment of the prophecy.

Didn't intend for Rhaegar to kill his dad, he could've just removed Aerys as king, or removed his powers and made himself the lord of the realm so he could have his conference.

If R+L=J is true, and he does believe in the prophecy then he knew he could not allow Robert to be successful. He knew he wouldn't be able to talk his way out of having a bastard be the next in line for the Iron Throne after him. And Robert, as well as probably Ned weren't going to allow Rhaegar to live happily ever after with Lyanna. Protection of his child is pretty strong motivation

Crackpot: I think Harrenhal was intended to float the idea of or actually carry out a council (interesting that the 101 council was held there), but Varys squashed those plans by telling Arys that Rhaegar was plotting against him. I suspect Tywin and perhaps some of the other eventual rebel lords had been reached out to or were to have been reached out to (hence naming Tywin's heir to the KG and sending him back basically as a hostage in KL until Aerys' death, as well as the absence of Tywin, Rickard, and I think Jon and Hoster at the tourney, which I suspect was a result of learning Aerys would be attending). Admittedly, allowing their children and heirs to still attend casts doubt on them not attending because they were in on a plot and suspected Aerys learned of it.

Weren't the majority of troops behind Rhaegars back Dornish? And since Elia was still under Aerys protection I doubt they'd be willing to gamble Elia's life by declaring for Rhaegar.

And I doubt Mace Tyrell and the Reach would live sieging storms end (Camping under the stars whilst drinking vintage arbor wine with the strong stormlands wind blowing through their hair) so that they can help Rhaegar usurp his father. Esp after Rhaegar's been having fun holed up in some Dornish Paradise whilst they fought his family's war by themselves.

When the rebels got to the Trident the only logical options for Rhaegar were fight or flee to Braavos and let Aegon and Rhaenys sort themselves out.. And he chose fighting because hey what could go wrong. He was the father of the prince that was promised, blood of the DRAGON whilst Nedbert where just mere mortals

Sorry I went of the question but to answer your question he fought for the safety of his mother, children and the other family members.

The same thing Baelor Breakspear and Maekar fought for, their house. Rhaegar may have wanted to remove his father from the throne, but that's not the same as wanting the throne usurped by rebels. Perhaps he thought if he could defeat Robert he could end the rebellion, and find a way to bring the other rebel families back into the fold with the council.

Exactly. If Rhaegar had surrendered to the rebels, that would've given even more legitimacy to Robert's claim to the Iron Throne. It would've been the end of Targaryen rule. Rhaegar basically had no choice but to fight the rebels, especially since I don't think he'd have been willing to give up his claim to the Throne.

Because Rhaegar surrendering would have spelled the end of the Targaryen reign. And former royal dynasties tend not to survive that, at least the core family. The other way round would have been the same. The rebels could never trust Rhaegar not to pay them back for the rebellion after dismissing their armies. Or their own bannermen, if they chickened out of the fight they themselves started.

And that's without taking the emotional level into account. A brother, father, nephew and future son-in-law burned, a sister and a bride abducted (at least), that leaves scars.

The "rebels" weren't mad at him for "kidnapping" Lyanna. They were mad because what Aerys did to Brandon and Rickon, and what he wanted to do with Robert and Ned. Some, let's say Robert, could have later said "oh, he's mad like his daddy, kidnapping women and stuff", but so far, looks like he's the only one believing it. Even people like Cersei think they ran away together.

Didn't intend for Rhaegar to kill his dad, he could've just removed Aerys as king, or removed his powers and made himself the lord of the realm so he could have his conference.

Well, at first impression looks easy but Aerys is the King. If he had tried to remove him, he would have been the rebel, because who knows which Houses had actually backed up the King instead, even though they know he was crazy as fuck.

Also, there is not retirement homes in Westeros, not mental asylums. During the Rebelion, Aerys, despite being told Rhaegar was plotting against him, still knew Rhaegar was fighting for him, and even if he didn't, he got his wife and children. If Rhaegar had tried to remove him, who do you think the KG had listened to? The King or the Prince? And Aerys could have tried to hurt his family. Another thing that people forget is that Rhaegar loved his father despite everything. And starting your rule by killing your own father isn't a good thing at all. So, what was he fighting for? For the Realm and his family, to defeat the Rebels, and start over. He couldn't, though.

He was fighting for prophecy, some sweet poon, or a non-collapsed chest. Take your pick. They probably aren't mutually exclusive either.

That he would have been king after a failed rebellion is second to that. If he had really wanted to depose Aerys, who clearly need deposing or an involuntary abdication, he would have done so, especially with 40K men at his back. He might have had to face the rebels in the field at some point, but I'd bet that Ned and Jon would have held Robert back if Rhaegar send a note saying "BRB deposing that old pyro boner fucker who started this."

The "rebels" weren't mad at him for "kidnapping" Lyanna. They were mad because what Aerys did to Brandon and Rickon, and what he wanted to do with Robert and Ned. Some, let's say Robert, could have later said "oh, he's mad like his daddy, kidnapping women and stuff", but so far, looks like he's the only one believing it. Even people like Cersei think they ran away together.

Well, at first impression looks easy but Aerys is the King. If he had tried to remove him, he would have been the rebel, because who knows which Houses had actually backed up the King instead, even though they know he was crazy as fuck.

Also, there is not retirement homes in Westeros, not mental asylums. During the Rebelion, Aerys, despite being told Rhaegar was plotting against him, still knew Rhaegar was fighting for him, and even if he didn't, he got his wife and children. If Rhaegar had tried to remove him, who do you think the KG had listened to? The King or the Prince? And Aerys could have tried to hurt his family. Another thing that people forget is that Rhaegar loved his father despite everything. And starting your rule by killing your own father isn't a good thing at all. So, what was he fighting for? For the Realm and his family, to defeat the Rebels, and start over. He couldn't, though.

If only Robert believes Lyanna was kidnapped and raped, who told Bran? Where did he get the info from?

Archived