Opinions of Wheel of Time

The Iron Banker

It's a fun series, some of the books are slower than others, some of the storylines/character lines are less enjoyable than others (though that is something that is different for each reader). The series, before it was finished, was pretty full of fan theories like asoiaf is, though not nearly as extensive of course, so have fun with that too. The prophecies in WoT are very much real for the story, interpreting them is fun. And yes there are certainly more big moments, unexpected ones and of course ones that you see coming. Sanderson did a phenomenal job at finishing the series too, so thats a bonus.

I agree Sanderson did exceptional job at finishing the series. It's a long long journey to finish the series but I did enjoy it. Have fun.

That's because you came to it at the end, when most theories had been proven or disproven. I'd say WoT discussion on the whole is waaaay more extensive than for aSoIaF.

It was as extensive as it could be. Theories stormed the internet and forums dedicated to the series. The difference with ASOIF is that the series is not as complicated in political schemes. There are many ploys played by the characters but in my opinion the complexity of the ploys of ASOIF is in another level.

It was as extensive as it could be. Theories stormed the internet and forums dedicated to the series. The difference with ASOIF is that the series is not as complicated in political schemes. There are many ploys played by the characters but in my opinion the complexity of the ploys of ASOIF is in another level.

I wouldn't say that's true at all. I'd say there are far more politically oriented characters, and therefore plots, in WoT. Its just most of the plots were pretty subtle.

I wouldn't say that's true at all. I'd say there are far more politically oriented characters, and therefore plots, in WoT. Its just most of the plots were pretty subtle.

Maybe you are right. To me it was always pretty straight forward: good vs evil in WoT. Not many gray characters to spice things up. But I don't wanna talk about it any more because there will be spoilers for the ones who haven't read the series yet.

Maybe you are right. To me it was always pretty straight forward: good vs evil in WoT. Not many gray characters to spice things up. But I don't wanna talk about it any more because there will be spoilers for the ones who haven't read the series yet.

That's... completely not correct. We'll leave it at that.

I started reading TWOT when Book 7 was released, and ASOIAF when Book 4 was released. Yes, the book gods hate me.

Sometimes I wonder if its better to read a massive series from the start (or middle), before the author has finished writing the books, so you can get into forums like this or if its better to start after the series is complete because then you don't have to wait for-freaking-ever for the next books to come out. I can't even count any more how many series I have and still am waiting to be completed, sigh, but the forums get dull after a series is complete so.... there's a trade off I suppose.

Then again, I was so happy when WoT was completed but also, so very very sad that there would be no more lol, I assume asoiaf will be the same for me.

Sometimes I wonder if its better to read a massive series from the start (or middle), before the author has finished writing the books, so you can get into forums like this or if its better to start after the series is complete because then you don't have to wait for-freaking-ever for the next books to come out. I can't even count any more how many series I have and still am waiting to be completed, sigh, but the forums get dull after a series is complete so.... there's a trade off I suppose.

Then again, I was so happy when WoT was completed but also, so very very sad that there would be no more lol, I assume asoiaf will be the same for me.

I just meant it sucked that I got into both series just after they peaked and quality started going south and the authors slowed down.

But if there was ever a literary character I've wanted to gut with a naked-lady dagger and strange with his own intestines, it's f**king Matrim Cauthon. People think Rand is the Sue but no, it's totally Mat. Worst part of the books. I hate him more than Joffrey and Ramsay because we're actually supposed to hate them, but I get the feeling that Jordan wanted to make Mat extra cool and gifted and edgy but he failed and made a horrible character. Rant over. :)

Mat is the greatest character in the series. Nothing more to add.

But I think you will enjoy book 8, if you hate him so much.

Rand isn't a Stu, he's far too damaged to be a Stu for most of the series

up until teh bits where he's

meant to be a Stu. Also his plot armour is explained in canon!

Mat is more a Stu, but if you really want Mary-Sueness, just take a look at the female side of the cast!

Rand isn't a Stu, he's far too damaged to be a Stu for most of the series

up until teh bits where he's

meant to be a Stu. Also his plot armour is explained in canon!

Mat is more a Stu, but if you really want Mary-Sueness, just take a look at the female side of the cast!

I don't know how many times I wanted to bang my head to the wall because of all those stupid things those woman do and say. And they always get through with it!

Poor, poor Matrim Cuathon. Oh the woes that await you...

If I could have an ale and a game of dice with anyone from WoT it would definitely be Matrim Cauthon - with Thom being a very close second. Although if I was dicing with Matt I wouldn't be betting gold!

Poor, poor Matrim Cuathon. Oh the woes that await you...

Woes? He doesn't seem to be badly affected by anything, that happens to him.

Even when he loses his eye, he simply shrugs it off, s if nothing happened, and is the same Mat after few pages.

Or do you mean Tuon? :) Now that's indeed a misfortune to acquire such wife. I'd rather die in Rhuiedan.

Archived