Opinions of Wheel of Time

The Iron Banker

@Koj

Ok this is just bizarre. Asking if you're trolling because of your "stuff happens" post is an attack? Are you new to the internet? I was looking for a bit more insight. If you don't want to discuss it that's fine but you are coming across as increasingly hysterical. Take a step back mate. I honestly didn't mean any offense. Apologies and have a good night.

wat

Are you really that fucking stupid?

Considering the average intelligence of the human species is "drooling retard," there's a very good chance that he is.

I think I need to go lie down after this... thread.

Well, I think it's a really good series, up there with the best of the genre. I know that people are not fond of good vs evil stories now days and prefer the more morally grey ones, but I think this one is the pinnacle of old, classic fantasy (with LotR).

Just to give you (my personal) idea on the quality of each book over the course of the series, my ratings are:

The Eye of the Word- 8/10

The Great Hunt- 8/10

The Dragon Reborn- 8/10

The Shadow Rising- 9/10

The Fires of Heaven- 10/10

Lord of Chaos- 8/10

A Crown of Swords- 7/10

A Path of Daggers- 5/10

Winter's Heart- 7/10

Crossroads of Twilight- 4/10

Knife of Dreams- 7/10

The Gathering Storm- 10/10

Towers of Midnight- 9/10

A Memory of Light- 9/10

I seem to recall listing what happened. Didn't I list what happened, my Sith friend? Maybe it got lost during the troll accusations, though.

Besides, it was meant as continued snubbing of book 10 and 8 where nothing happened at all. Just a lot of words.

Oh trust me your supposition that there was zero plot advancement from book 6-10 was noted.

Shutup you creepy Bakker stalker.

Well I get that you're new but at least you're starting to figure something out. Just a small sample of Darth's rep. Let me know if you want to see more.

What the fuck? Can we have one thread were Bakker fans don't come in and start wanking it? He probably doesn't have many folloers because his public persona is that of an arogant jackass who was electorcuted while wacking it to some metaphysics book.

That's be a Bakker sockpuppet, right?

[rant] Can we have one thread where you don't come in and start whining about Bakker fans? The thread is about authors' use of social media, there is no reason why Bakker shouldn't be mentioned here. [/rant]

No, we can't. Because he is doing some sort of performance art where he decries others for doing the very thing he himself does and that those he accuses of it don't do.

Oh trust me your supposition that there was zero plot advancement from book 6-10 was noted.

Hm... no, I said there was zero plot advancement in books 8 and 10. I said the rest were debatable. I state this because half of their contents were spent on air while the rest, snippets of plot advancement occurred but it was surrounded by a Protection From Editors Zone. This is the reason why I said 6-10 could be trimmed down to half. The Bowl of the Winds story, the formation of the Black Tower, Mat meeting his wife and Rand SPOILER were examples of good storytelling. The rest felt like Jordan was realizing he could get paid for writing without actually saying anything.

You could write a book with the most beautiful prose in the universe, but if it doesn't tell a story, it's not worth the time.

Maybe for you. I'd read with pleasure many writers just for the prose even if there isn't any plot or it's terrible. MJH for example. ;)

Not Jordan though, his style was solid, but nowhere near good enough to read just for it alone.

Maybe for you. I'd read with pleasure many writers just for the prose

Yup.

Cue accusations of lit snobbery from the peanut gallery.

Not Jordan though, his style was solid, but nowhere near good enough to read just for it alone.

Indeed.

I think much of the success for long time readers was the detail, foreshadowing and hints buried within his work. That certainly kept a good deal of people coming back while Sanderson's unpolished style(something which BS readily admits) turned many off. Add to that numerous mistakes, poor characterization etc. and the fact that each of his books seemed to regress after TGS. Well it's not surprising people were disappointed. That said BS stepped into a very difficult situation and then was put on an insanely rushed schedule by Tor. Not sure how anyone could have expected much different than what we got.

That said read RJ's work for prose alone? Not a chance.

Well, I think it's a really good series, up there with the best of the genre. I know that people are not fond of good vs evil stories now days and prefer the more morally grey ones, but I think this one is the pinnacle of old, classic fantasy (with LotR).

Just to give you (my personal) idea on the quality of each book over the course of the series, my ratings are:

The Great Hunt- 8/10

The Dragon Reborn- 8/10

The Shadow Rising- 9/10

Lord of Chaos- 8/10

A Crown of Swords- 7/10

A Path of Daggers- 5/10

Winter's Heart- 7/10

Crossroads of Twilight- 4/10

Knife of Dreams- 7/10

The Gathering Storm- 10/10

Towers of Midnight- 9/10

A Memory of Light- 9/10

The Great Hunt- 8/10

The Dragon Reborn- 8/10

The Shadow Rising- 10/10

Lord of Chaos- 7/10

A Crown of Swords- 7/10

A Path of Daggers- 7/10

Winter's Heart- 8/10

Crossroads of Twilight- 5/10

Knife of Dreams- 8/10

The Gathering Storm- 8/10

Towers of Midnight- 9/10

A Memory of Light- 7/10

my GR ratings: I * II ** III * IV *** V ** VI * VII * VIII * IX * X * worldbook * legends prologue *

considering that other raters imply that the series ends consistently in terms of quality, i am confident that i can without reading the last four books extrapolate the series average rating as equaling 1.33/5.

Archived